• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Don't be concerned about being methodical at the range. Be methodical and do it right every time. The more you do that, the more you will develop the ability to do the same motions faster with the same or better results. I'm at the point where I don't notice what I am doing because I've done it so frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Marksmanship.

I am a salty old Gunny, Not trying to offend, I attached the Marksmanship Manual... Chapter 4 would be informative... it is a few years old but has the basics which most of Military Veterans rely on...

Attachments

• united_states_marine_mrcp_3-1a - 23_feb_1999 - part01.pdf
      483.2 KB · Views: 211

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Broken link.
    Can u pm me with it pls.
    I'm curious as to what it says

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Thx.
    Been reading it...
    This is exactly what I've been looking for.
    ABCs of riflemen from the greatest army in the history.

"Learning from achilles himself. Kings would kill for the honor"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yep. I couldn't agree more.

Kinda interesting but over these last several years (since joining this forum), I find some recoil an enjoyable part of shooting. It's like adding a third dimension to shooting. I mind recoil even on defensive firearms even less bothersome now a days. Being over weight and more experience has some advantages.

Grip strength and how one holds a firearm are critical factors.

I generally don't mind recoil. Only time I've met recoil I hated is my 870 off bags with rifles slugs when I am siting it in for deer season. No thank you. Standing slugs or buck, no problem, but that thing just tears in to my shoulder off bags.

I enjoy the recoil on my .308 bolt action. I love the recoil on every pistol I've shot.

But I doubt I'll ever shoot magnums. Expensive and I don't really have a need. Maybe though, can't really rule anything out.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Overcoming recoil at Ft.Polk

Basic training at Ft.Polk 1971 and the drill sargent demonstrated how little recoil the M16 had by placing the butt of the stock against his chin and pulled the trigger. Then he placed it against his crotch and pulled the trigger again. Pretty convincing.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I am a salty old Gunny, Not trying to offend, I attached the Marksmanship Manual... Chapter 4 would be informative... it is a few years old but has the basics which most of Military Veterans rely on...

That's outstanding. Thank you for posting it.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204623&d=1494267029

It's one thing to know and be technically competent.

But that's only 1/2 of the equation.

To be a good instructor/coach/teacher/mentor they must also be able to communicate well and be able to connect with a wide audience.

If you can teach those kids, mentor those teens/20-somethings, and others of different backgrounds and ages, that's just as important.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They did a similar demonstration when I went through basic.

Now all I can think of is Super Troopers and picturing the DI then offering an AR-10 with no brake or flash suppressor to unsuspecting recruits to try after his AR-15 demo and encourage them to try the crotch shot :D

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Riflemen's Creed

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG

I still practice BRASSF. Parris Island kind of sticks in one's head even 40 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom