• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Co witness of rear and front sight with reticle on your red dot not in place of the rear sight as stated above you would be screwed if your red dot dies and all you have is a front sight let me rephrase that at HD distances you point the thing and shoot and you are hitting someone so your not screwed

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Co witness of rear and front sight with reticle on your red dot not in place of the rear sight as stated above you would be screwed if your red dot dies and all you have is a front sight let me rephrase that at HD distances you point the thing and shoot and you are hitting someone so your not screwed

Ah, got it. The top rail is too short for all three items. My other option is to use a 45 degree mount for just the holographic sight and keep the fixed sights up top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Personally I would ditch the backup sights but what do I know. We all have our opinions and opinions are like A**holes everyone has one but that doesnt make it right.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I was able to find a low profile, Picatinny rail extension that will let me mount front, holo, and rear. The front and rear are pop-ups, so I can do the co-witness thing, holo only, and sights only.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks to kraftyone for hooking me up with a Sig brace. I took the gun out today and ran 100 rounds through it. I am having problems with it ejecting shells about one in three times. It always extracts, but sometimes doesn't eject the spent shell. The ejector seems to be working right when I push it with a punch. Could this be a breaking in issue? I've never had a new AR before.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Your welcome for the Sig Brace. I had similar problems with mine and it ended up being the gas block wasn't aligned properly. If you have another AR that you have shot try the BCG out of it to rule that out. You should post some pics of the gun with the new setup

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Your welcome for the Sig Brace. I had similar problems with mine and it ended up being the gas block wasn't aligned properly. If you have another AR that you have shot try the BCG out of it to rule that out. You should post some pics of the gun with the new setup

Here it is with the Sig brace. Everybody talked about the fireballs. I didn't notice, even when shouldering it.

I figure the "try a known good part" is a great way to start troubleshooting. I'm going to try running another hundred rounds through it because everything is still very tight. I'll have to get together with one of my buddies that has an AR to find the culprit. The odd thing is the problem isn't consistent.

c2963ce2e400dc56eaee5efc2d6d7c1b.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I think you might be into something with the gas block. I was cleaning the gun last light and I noticed a significant amount of carbon build up around the gas block. With the stainless barrel, it was easy to spot. I'm going to take it off, check the seal, and probably replace it.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    It's the gas block. I removed it and it is apparent that a significant amount of gas is escaping.
    ef2a0ee784f2bdf0d8402e98901bde77.jpg

30891bbcdf1ebdbf02d6e31e7f208703.jpg

Lucky guess on my part. I use gas block alignment pins from Brownells now after not getting a gas block lined up right once super easy to use

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Lucky guess on my part. I use gas block alignment pins from Brownells now after not getting a gas block lined up right once super easy to use

I think this particular block was properly aligned. The uniform pattern of the carbon around the barrel makes me think it just was not sealing. The set screws were plenty tight, but gas still leaked pretty badly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think you might be into something with the gas block. I was cleaning the gun last light and I noticed a significant amount of carbon build up around the gas block. With the stainless barrel, it was easy to spot. I'm going to take it off, check the seal, and probably replace it.

It's common to see this in a new build, especially on stainless(easier to see). The 'carboning' will eventually form a seal around the block and should end that problem. As long as the gun runs right, no major problem.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It is great to see someone do things for themselves. I would recommend a few things.

First, consider taking a SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) course.

Second, change out the hand guard with one that will allow you to mount the front sight close to the muzzle. Open sights with a longer sight radius will help you shoot more accurately.

And lastly your front sight is on backwards. I know this was done to give you the longest sight radius possible with your set up but it can hangup on things as you try to move with the gun.

The gas block leakage is normal as previously mentioned. If you are having alignment issues use a piece of weed wacker line to check it before tightening the set screws. This is one of the many tricks learned in a SOTAR course.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It is great to see someone do things for themselves. I would recommend a few things.

First, consider taking a SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) course.

Second, change out the hand guard with one that will allow you to mount the front sight close to the muzzle. Open sights with a longer sight radius will help you shoot more accurately.

And lastly your front sight is on backwards. I know this was done to give you the longest sight radius possible with your set up but it can hangup on things as you try to move with the gun.

The gas block leakage is normal as previously mentioned. If you are having alignment issues use a piece of weed wacker line to check it before tightening the set screws. This is one of the many tricks learned in a SOTAR course.

Thanks. I know about the rear sight. I've purchased a low profile extended rail so that the sights can be properly positioned with a holographic sight in the middle. It's good to know about the normal carbon build up. I'm still replacing the block because I want one that can seal better.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding co-witnessing. I thought that it was when you aligned the reticle of the rear sight with the front sight post.

It is. He has no idea what he's talking about. I hate having to co-witness. It's too distracting and I believe takes away from the simplicity of having a red dot.

kent

Dec 21, 2015
    It is. He has no idea what he's talking about. I hate having to co-witness. It's too distracting and I believe takes away from the simplicity of having a red dot.

(was that in reference to my comment?) You need front and rear iron sights to cowitness with a red dot. Having only a front sight is useless with a red dot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

(was that in reference to my comment?) You need front and rear iron sights to cowitness with a red dot. Having only a front sight is useless with a red dot.

The whole desire in co-witnessing is when or if your red dot goes down, you flip up your BUSs and you maintain the same hold and sight picture without having to remove your now dead red dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom