• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Otakon is part of the official record tonight.

I repeat.

Otakon is part of the official record.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    49 members and 17 guests. Its 10pm at night.

Hell yes we care about these issues and care about putting this state back in order.

Lets fix this, lets make Maryland a better place.

Thanks so much to all of you that testified, and everyone else that did and is doing so much to make Maryland the wonderful state she once was.

il_570xN.76413248.jpg

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Remember that number !

Armed Security, PI's, and SPO's = 3,196 Handgun Permit. That's a good 50% of outstanding Handgun Permits.

We have those numbers. Total permit holders as of January 2017 is a tad above 17,000. Up a bit from a dip a few years ago.

Interestingly to me, the armed security demographics are the only thing keeping the overall number of permit holders from appearing blatantly sexist and racist. There are a lot of female and minority armed security, retired police, and corrections officers. Without them in the equation, females and minorities are way underrepresented.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Care to elaborate for those of us not there?

Conway took issue with the fact that there was a picture of Baltimore protestors(burning, looting and rioting) and John Josselyn said that it was a picture of people who did not value life or anything. Conway argued that JJ did not mention it was a group of people protesting a perceived wrongful death and police brutality.

JJ mentioned that he and "his people" did not protest that way and Conway asked, "who are your people?" Insinuating JJ was making a racist comment derogatory to African Americans.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Conway took issue with the fact that there was a picture of Baltimore protestors(burning, looting and rioting) and John Josselyn said that it was a picture of people who did not value life or anything. Conway argued that JJ did not mention it was a group of people protesting a perceived wrongful death and police brutality.

JJ mentioned that he and "his people" did not protest that way and Conway asked, "who are your people?" Insinuating JJ was making a racist comment derogatory to African Americans.

What do you mean....."you people"?

Then that would have been perfect.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    After the hearing ended, JJ and I and Del Conway had a friendly wide ranging conversation , everything is cool now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re #706 , that's an interesting number @ 17k , is that actual number for current active Permits ? I remember from a few years ago we could get some numbers for Permits * Issued * in a particular year, but no data for how many were surrendered during the time period, nor how many were multiples to same person. With the Permit scheme being so employment based, lots of people change jobs, and surrender their Permits when they leave the particular employer .

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    So she has no idea what she was shot by but is testifying against long gun transfers

Legistalor asks about 45 being long gun or hand gun. Witness didn't know. WTF?

During that particular "testimony" the female was reading someone else's testimony because they could not be there due to weather. Really should not have been doing that, but it was short lived.

Big, stinking' giveaway that the MOMs and MDers to Prevent Gun Violence have ZERO substance is that they kept bringing up "victims" all damn day and most of the time, when trying to push the long gun registry, I mean background checks, they kept referring to crimes involving handguns. Absolutely pathetic attempts by them.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    so was this the only chance to speak this year?

At a hearing like this, i believe so. But you can prolly check with msi for an answer. You can always stop and visit the legiscritters or their staff in person. If the committee members give u flak about not being from their district, remind do them that their work on the committee is for all marylanders.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Hoping I didn't err in this letter, sent this morning, to Ms. Duamis. I get that she wants to "do something", but I have no way to legislate against someone who plans murder. More gun legislation will not do it.

My letter:

Ms. Dumais - I apologize for an error in my testimony before the House Judiciary Committee yesterday. I indicated that Donald Bricker had not been prosecuted on parole violations. This is incorrect.

I was looking at a Washington Post story from 10/21/2016. The story indicates charges were dropped. A Maryland Case Search indicates that in 2007 (incident date: 07/25), he was charged with Disorderly Conduct and Failure to Obey a Lawful Order. Also in 2007 (Incident date: 8/29), he was charged with Failure to Obey a Peace Order and Malicious Destruction of Property. All charges were dropped (Nolle Prose).

I cannot resolve such a situation. Both yesterday and at last year's hearing on the similar bill, I sensed your frustration at the inability to prevent a future, similar situation. Hearing from Sade's mother was a dramatic way to present this issue.

But I know of no way to prevent such an issue. You heard testimony yesterday that the FBI will not perform a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check (NICS check) on an antique or replica gun.You indicated you would research this. Please do. There was at least one Federal Firearms License holder who would have testified on this yesterday but he was impacted by the weather in Carrolll County. Pleae contact the FBI, a local dealer or check the regulations at https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/atf-p-5300-4pdf/download

There is no way for any dealer to check if the purchaser of an antique or replica is prohibited under federal law. Prohibition under Maryland law is determined, in part, by a check of the federal NICS system. This is not possible for an antique or replica.

Also, please look at Nevada's recent experience with their Question 1. The FBI will not make NICS available for private party transfers. A story about the decision and the text of the opinion of the Nevada Attorney General is located at http://carsonvalleytimes.com/2016/1...-unenforceable-without-fbi-background-checks/ Please note the parts of the federal response that Nevada could not impose additional requiremnts on the federal system.

There were then questions on the efficacy of having the dealer make the purchaser affirm that he is not prohibited. Sadly, an individual planning to assault or murder someone in not above lying at time of purchase. I can see no benefit to such an affirmation.

You asked us if we believed an individual such as Bricker should be allowed to purchase a replica gun. Several of the folks testifying were unwilling to commit for fear of being trapped. I am not. No, he should not be allowed to purchase a gun. Nor should he be allowed to purchase any tool with which he may commit murder. This Includes belts, hammers and kitchen knives. I know of no way to prevent an individual who plans to murder.

As a Christian, I must look at his innermost being, his heart. And my understanding tells me that there is evil in this world, that we must constantly fight against it.It is often difficult to legislate against it.

Thank you for your time yesterday. I thank you deeply for your desire to do something to prevent any such future death.

hodgepodge
    Arnold, MD

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

I caught that, it was amusing. Great reply after the race baiting tirade as well.
    Did not note any red shirts at all opposing CCW issues etc. I though they were overwhelming? That is only the case in the media..

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hoping I didn't err in this letter, sent this morning, to Ms. Duamis. I get that she wants to "do something", but I have no way to legislate against someone who plans murder. More gun legislation will not do it.

My letter:

Ms. Dumais - I apologize for an error in my testimony before the House Judiciary Committee yesterday. I indicated that Donald Bricker had not been prosecuted on parole violations. This is incorrect.

I was looking at a Washington Post story from 10/21/2016. The story indicates charges were dropped. A Maryland Case Search indicates that in 2007 (incident date: 07/25), he was charged with Disorderly Conduct and Failure to Obey a Lawful Order. Also in 2007 (Incident date: 8/29), he was charged with Failure to Obey a Peace Order and Malicious Destruction of Property. All charges were dropped (Nolle Prose).

I cannot resolve such a situation. Both yesterday and at last year's hearing on the similar bill, I sensed your frustration at the inability to prevent a future, similar situation. Hearing from Sade's mother was a dramatic way to present this issue.

But I know of no way to prevent such an issue. You heard testimony yesterday that the FBI will not perform a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check (NICS check) on an antique or replica gun.You indicated you would research this. Please do. There was at least one Federal Firearms License holder who would have testified on this yesterday but he was impacted by the weather in Carrolll County. Pleae contact the FBI, a local dealer or check the regulations at https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/atf-p-5300-4pdf/download

There is no way for any dealer to check if the purchaser of an antique or replica is prohibited under federal law. Prohibition under Maryland law is determined, in part, by a check of the federal NICS system. This is not possible for an antique or replica.

Also, please look at Nevada's recent experience with their Question 1. The FBI will not make NICS available for private party transfers. A story about the decision and the text of the opinion of the Nevada Attorney General is located at http://carsonvalleytimes.com/2016/1...-unenforceable-without-fbi-background-checks/ Please note the parts of the federal response that Nevada could not impose additional requiremnts on the federal system.

There were then questions on the efficacy of having the dealer make the purchaser affirm that he is not prohibited. Sadly, an individual planning to assault or murder someone in not above lying at time of purchase. I can see no benefit to such an affirmation.

You asked us if we believed an individual such as Bricker should be allowed to purchase a replica gun. Several of the folks testifying were unwilling to commit for fear of being trapped. I am not. No, he should not be allowed to purchase a gun. Nor should he be allowed to purchase any tool with which he may commit murder. This Includes belts, hammers and kitchen knives. I know of no way to prevent an individual who plans to murder.

As a Christian, I must look at his innermost being, his heart. And my understanding tells me that there is evil in this world, that we must constantly fight against it.It is often difficult to legislate against it.

Thank you for your time yesterday. I thank you deeply for your desire to do something to prevent any such future death.

hodgepodge
    Arnold, MD

Thanks for your fantastic and well-thought testimony yesterday :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom