• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I also am the owner of a Sig Mosquito. It is not very reliable. Many misfires no matter what brand of ammo I run through it. It is also horribly inaccurate beyond 15-20 feet.

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    Looking for a .22 to just have fun with at the range and eventually have my kids shooting when they get a little older. Suggestions on one or the other and why? Iv heard the mosquito can be finicky with the kind of amo. Anyone else have this issue?

I have an SR22 and it shoots anything I load up. Not one problem and one of my favorite handguns because it's so much fun!

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    +1 to the 22 conversion kits. My wife's POS Mosquito made me want to get a decent 22, and the Kadet adapter for my CZ fit the bill perfectly. Absolute dream to shoot, and great for introducing new shooters.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Both of these are great 22 plinkers. Reliable, eat anything, suppressor ready.

S&W M&P 22 Compact
    Sig Sauer 1911-22

2016-09-19.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    WOW 67 posts and most are talking about how bad the Sig Mosquito is. I gotta say, I don't ever remember having so many people giving a thumbs down to a firearm.

Amazing.

3 Gun Gal

Aug 2, 2016
    Carroll Co.
    I have the Sig Mosquito. It is totally unreliable. My husband did a little work on it to try to make it better, but I still have issues with it. To be fair, it was purchased early on in their production and the manufacturer may have fixed the bugs. I wouldn't know. I have also shot the Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22. I am partial to the Ruger. I've seen extraction issues from the Walther from a couple different people. I haven't seen any problems with the Ruger. My most reliable .22 is the Browning Buckmark. Never any issues there, but it has a pretty stout grip so not ideal for smaller hands. I have average woman hands and it works for me.

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    I have the Sig Mosquito. It is totally unreliable. My husband did a little work on it to try to make it better, but I still have issues with it. To be fair, it was purchased early on in their production and the manufacturer may have fixed the bugs. I wouldn't know. I have also shot the Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22. I am partial to the Ruger. I've seen extraction issues from the Walther from a couple different people. I haven't seen any problems with the Ruger. My most reliable .22 is the Browning Buckmark. Never any issues there, but it has a pretty stout grip so not ideal for smaller hands. I have average woman hands and it works for me.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I'm go with the ruger. To many bad experiences with the mosquito and I think the sr22 will be good for my kids to start on. My daughter has shot a .22 bolt action(with dads help) but looking for a handgun for her but also to just take to the range and have fun with for myself.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thank you! I'm pretty sure I'm go with the ruger. To many bad experiences with the mosquito and I think the sr22 will be good for my kids to start on. My daughter has shot a .22 bolt action(with dads help) but looking for a handgun for her but also to just take to the range and have fun with for myself.

Here is a good deal on one ($279 with free shipping) - Depending on where you live, you can transfer it for $30 at Bollingers

https://www.smga.com/p-76719-ruger-...lr-35-101-black-poly-grip-alum-blk-slide.aspx

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I would suggest the ruger MK series over anything else. Buckmark is good too I just prefer the ruger.

Have shot the sr22 and it is cool to have a more "standard" semi auto pistol that shoots .22. My issue is that it is not as accurate as the MK series, which are very accurate and reliable. A friend loves his SR 22 but it's smaller size, not as great accuracy, and seemingly lesser build quality compared to the MK series has made me purchase more Ruger MK series pistols. They also suppress very well. The newer MK IV does away with all the takedown issues people had with them, however I don't think they come threaded yet.

The older MK series is more difficult to take down and clean than more modernized pistols, but you can learn how to do it with a few practice runs. It also is easy to replace/ remove parts in the trigger assembly to suit your needs/ desires.

My feeling by is that they don't need to be detail cleaned that often; just wipe out the chamber area and lube. Mine have continued to be reliable with this practice for thousands of suppressed rounds. The trigger assembly gets a lot of carbon fouling, but it still works.

I have found them to be very reliable with all ammo except aguila subsonic. That stuff smells like super glue when you shoot it anyway. I can't recall any other ammo that jams up those pistols, they just work well.

They are my wife's favorite to shoot.

My free info, good luck in your quest.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I know this is an old thread but still want to add my $.02. I have the Sig and after polishing the feed ramp and GENTLY honing the ledge between the feed ramp and barrel, it works great. I have, almost, no problems with most ammo after much use. I also use the standard velocity spring and keep it well lubed. That being said I am considering selling it to get more parts for my Buckmark. I simply don't use it much and it only really gets brought out for new shooters or when my kids want to tag along to the the range. I like them to practice shooting with a nice long DA pull. I tried the Ruger and liked it, but I like the positive controls on the Buckmark a lot more and so that's what I bought for Bullseye at my range.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I got a deal on over 2K rounds of various ammo, because my buddy's Mosquito wouldn't shoot it...

CCI mini mags, Federal Premium, Federal AutoMatch, Winchester, and CCI Quiets...

My SR22 shoots it all....except the Quiets...just wouldn't cycle those.

Ironically, he has the best luck with Golden Bullets...with those it only malfunctions 1 time per mag, instead of 8-10....lol.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I got a SR22 a few weeks ago. I've had no issues running any brand/type of ammo - no break-in period needed. (haven't tried the CCI Quiets yet - have those for my revolver) And yes, I have a friend who has a Masquito, too. ...It only likes CCI Mini Mags.

yellowpuma

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2015
    I have the GSG Firefly. I fired about 500 of the cheapest brass crap you can purchase out of it. I had a few failures during normal shooting. Less than 5. I had a couple that were due to goofing off with rapid fire. Which is understandable with a 22 pistol and especially adding in the cheap ammo. This was the first time out. I did have one failure that required me to disassemble the pistol to extract the chambered/unfired round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom