• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    There is no Second Amendment right for members of the general public to carry concealed firearms in public.

Sgt Knaub et al popping the champagne..

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    So, we need someone in MD to apply for an "open carry only" request permit on their "restrictions."

When that is denied, then they have standing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• sjw.jpg
      sjw.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 1,139

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    On a cursory read the only small good thing I can say is at least they went out of their way to state they were only ruling on concealed carry and were not touching upon visible carry.
    In strategy terms, they didn't quash open carry now because they want us to waste even more time and money getting an open carry case up to them. There's zero possibility they'll uphold a right to open carry or significantly impact California's open carry ban.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Somewhere Kamala Harris is sitting around pleasuring herself.

:sad20:

Forgot ALL about that twist.

There...thank you CA9 for allowing that fiasco to happen. Refresh my memory, did our side appeal that decision to SCOTUS or did we let it ride?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    There comes a point where judicial rulings no longer mean much. Legislation does far more. With 40+ states having CCW or no-permit required carry, there's a strong case for treating the holdouts exactly the way that the sates pushing segregation in the 1960s were treated. Legislation similar to the Voting Rights Act - any legislation from those states is presumed illegal until proven otherwise, and the burden of proof is on the state.

We need to go on offense.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    There comes a point where judicial rulings no longer mean much. Legislation does far more. With 40+ states having CCW or no-permit required carry, there's a strong case for treating the holdouts exactly the way that the sates pushing segregation in the 1960s were treated. Legislation similar to the Voting Rights Act - any legislation from those states is presumed illegal until proven otherwise, and the burden of proof is on the state.

We need to go on offense.

Agreed, I'm a big fan of adopting the prohibition label.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Irony, thy name is California ... Hypocrisy too

CA of which the 9th Circuit in SanFran has jurisdiction ...

Since Peruta is CA-originated and the CA legislature has now deemed themselves 'exempt', as a lay person I would think that it would be ripe to overturn on appeal to SCOTUS ... as in the Equal Protection Clause part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The clause provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws" ... and I would assume, equal enforcement. :rolleyes:

Caveat: wait until Trump appoints Scalia's replacement before filing an appeal.

EDITORIAL: One law for us, another for you
    California’s legislative hypocrisy a failure of democracy

The California state Senate voted 28-8 Wednesday (6/1/2106) to exempt itself from the pointless gun-control laws that apply to the rest of the populace. Legislators apparently think they alone are worthy to pack heat on the streets for personal protection, and the masses ought to wait until the police arrive.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    As someone mentioned in another thread (maybe 'Norman v. FL'?), a method of carry needs to be provided for - either OC or CC. A state may restrict/declare CC a privilege, but then must provide for OC (or vice versa). I just don't see how they can get away with restricting both.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    CA of which the 9th Circuit in SanFran has jurisdiction ...

Since Peruta is CA-originated and the CA legislature has now deemed themselves 'exempt', as a lay person I would think that it would be ripe to overturn on appeal to SCOTUS ... as in the Equal Protection Clause part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The clause provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws" ... and I would assume, equal enforcement. :rolleyes:

Caveat: wait until Trump appoints Scalia's replacement before filing an appeal.

EDITORIAL: One law for us, another for you
    California’s legislative hypocrisy a failure of democracy

I can't fact-check this right now, but if what's written in that WT editorial is true, rebellion in CA is appropriate.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I can't fact-check this right now, but if what's written in that WT editorial is true, rebellion in CA is appropriate.

Yeah but too bad the vast population of CA actually must think this sort of law is ok, otherwise they wouldn't have passed it.:sad20: Only in the Golden State.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    Yeah but too bad the vast population of CA actually must think this sort of law is ok, otherwise they wouldn't have passed it.:sad20: Only in the Golden State.
    I doubt MD legislators have any real objection to this sort of thing. They certainly think like CA legislators when it comes to citizen self-defense.

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    I'm afraid the En Banc Peruta decision is much worse than expected. (At least expected by us who thought the 9th Circuit would find some way out of granting permits.)

The panel ruled that the Second Amendment does not protect, in any degree, the carrying of concealed firearms by members of the general public and specifically do not answer the question of whether or to what degree the Second Amendment might or might not protect a right of a member of the general public to carry firearms openly in public, the panel made a point of saying that they "would entirely agree with the answer the concurrence" of Judge Graber.

Judge Garber "write separately only to state that, even if we assume that the Second Amendment applied to the carrying of concealed weapons in public, the provisions at issue would be constitutional."

So the vast majority of Ninth Circuit believes that even if open carry was protected by the Second Amendment that restrictions like the "good and substantial" requirement to get an open carry permit in the interest of "public safety" are constitutional.

You still do not get to carry your gun.

They have set a trap. If you only argue that open carry is constitutional the court will take years to say "yeah, but so what, as a matter of public safety we can limit the number of guns on the street." Then you are right back where you started. This is a perfect blueprint for other states to get around the 2nd Amendment completely. Every restriction will be ok as a matter of public safety.

I am truly not happy about this. Bad news for us all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom