• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j124l

Jun 26, 2017
    Hi all. So I am moving to Maryland in next few weeks and need to figure out how to keep my AR15 and how to get it registered, selling is not an option for me. I know the standard response is "dont move to Maryland" :) Unfortunately, I do not have that option either.

I believe the biggest thing is the HBAR vs. my current M4 profile barrel. Is there anyway to keep my M4? I really do not want to change the barrel.

It is manufactured by a local business in Florida not a major manufacturer, not sure if that will be a problem either

Below are my AR Specs, can anyone tell me what specifically I need to do to make it MD legal and then how do I get it registered. MDSP is not really providing me the info in detail. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

16 inch 4150 Chrome-Moly Barrel
    M4 Barrel Profile
    MagPul MBUS Folding Sights Front and Rear
    Chambered in 5.56mm
    1:7 Twist Barrel Rifling
    Twisted "Phantom" Flash Hider
    Free Float Quad Rail
    Carbine Length Direct Impingement Gas System
    M16 Bolt Carrier Group
    Flat-top Upper with M4 Cuts
    Arms Room Lower Receiver
    U.S. Made, Mil-Spec Upper and Lower Parts
    Rogers Super Stoc
    Mil-Spec Buffer Tube
    Magpul MOE+ Grip (or Ergo Grip)

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Hi all. So I am moving to Maryland in next few weeks and need to figure out how to keep my AR15 and how to get it registered, selling is not an option for me. I know the standard response is "dont move to Maryland" :) Unfortunately, I do not have that option either.

I believe the biggest thing is the HBAR vs. my current M4 profile barrel, are there any other regulations. It is manufactured by a local business in Florida not a major manufacturer, not sure if that will be a problem either

Below are my AR Specs, can anyone tell me what specifically I need to do to make it MD legal and then how do I get it registered. MDSP is not really providing me the info in detail. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

M4 Barrel Profile
    Chambered in 5.56mm
    Free Float Quad Rail
    M16 Bolt Carrier Group
    Arms Room Lower Receiver
    Rogers Super Stoc
    Mil-Spec Buffer Tube
    Question one: When did you buy it and do you have receipt with date?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Easy answer. Buy an HBAR upper. Keep your M4 upper.

Just NEVER mate the M4 upper to the lower in the state of MD.

You can carry both out of state and put it back the M4 for use outside MD, then back to HBAR before you return.

And BTW, if it is HBAR when you bring it into MD, no registration required.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I believe the biggest thing is the HBAR vs. my current M4 profile barrel. Is there anyway to keep my M4?
    I really do not want to change the barrel.

It is manufactured by a local business in Florida not a major manufacturer, not sure if that will be a problem either

Thanks everyone.

M4 Barrel Profile
    Chambered in 5.56mm
    Free Float Quad Rail
    M16 Bolt Carrier Group
    Arms Room Lower Receiver
    Rogers Super Stoc
    Mil-Spec Buffer Tube

Question one: When did you buy it and do you have receipt with date?

MTBgunworks.com

Everything in red boldface is pertinent.

IF you bought the M4 "clone" before 10/01/2013 and have a dated receipt showing proof, you can legally bring it into the state, but, must register it within 90 days. (Time requirement corrected.)

IF you bought it after 10/01/2013, you cannot LEGALLY bring it into the state.

One question......... "Do ya feel lucky?"

Please don't try to circumvent the law. It could get nasty.

Last edited:

j124l

Jun 26, 2017
    Thanks everyone! I purchased it in 2016 and I do have the receipt but it sounds like I will have to purchase the HBAR as replacement and should be good.

Any to just make sure, I do not need to register it w/ the HBAR? I did see that response, just want to make 100% sure.

Wish this was written down somewhere in MD statutes, maybe it is, I just cant find it. :)

Appreciate everyone chiming in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, registration for HBAR.

Registration upin moving in is required only for handguns and Grandfathered Evil Rifles ( & full autos, but that's a different process).

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Don't move to MD :innocent0

Seriously, regardless of where work may be MD is small enough, that it's commutable from a "free" state.

j124l

Jun 26, 2017
    Not without long commute and keeping my sanity with long work hours. Can't afford Arlington or Alexandria, other options not feasible for us, reality of situation unfortunately.

Overall, converting to hbar not a big deal given don't have to register. Several other questions:

What is Max mag capacity on handgun, have a VP9 that holds 15 + 1. Is that a problem

2 other 45s that hold 10 + 1 and CCP 9mm that also holds 10, don't think registration will be a problem, will it?

Shotgun is Mossberg 500, also don't think that will be a problem but feel free to correct me.

Biggest loss is conceal carry, that really sucks!

Also am I able to shoot AR at MD range w/ Hbar conversion?

Thinking of buying a few more B4 I actually move too, is that even worth it?

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Not without long commute and keeping my sanity with long work hours. Can't afford Arlington or Alexandria, other options not feasible for us, reality of situation unfortunately.

Overall, converting to hbar not a big deal given don't have to register. Several other questions:

What is Max mag capacity on handgun, have a VP9 that holds 15 + 1. Is that a problem

2 other 45s that hold 10 + 1 and CCP 9mm that also holds 10, don't think registration will be a problem, will it?

Shotgun is Mossberg 500, also don't think that will be a problem but feel free to correct me.

Biggest loss is conceal carry, that really sucks!

Also am I able to shoot AR at MD range w/ Hbar conversion?

Thinking of buying a few more B4 I actually move too, is that even worth it?

No maximum capacity. You can own any magazine you want in maryland, you just can not Buy, Sell, Transfer magazines over 10 rounds in maryland. buy all you want out of state and bring them in.

Wife and I took a 90% income cut to escape maryland. I can't imagine anyone moving there (barring a military transfer). That said, good luck, Maryland is a very beautiful state. Just the asshats wearing the suits and ties that F#$ked it up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even with hypothetically retiring concurrent with relocating, I'm having a hard time visualizing a 90% reduction in total income. Now if literally comparing *wages* , and not mentioning pensions, Soc Security, retirement investments, etc , it could be.

You may posses, use, or carry magazines of any capacity. You may not buy, sell, offer to sell, manufacture them, or give away within Maryland borders. You may bring them in with you either when you move in, or whenever you venture from Md to America.

To put into context, the typical Md commute already sucks . An hour each way is very normal, plenty go over that. Keeping within 60th percentile of commuting, most Md based jobs are within commuting v range of a border. The only part if the state that is catagorically iffy is the Ft Meade to Glen Burnie area.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Even with hypothetically retiring concurrent with relocating, I'm having a hard time visualizing a 90% reduction in total income. Now if literally comparing *wages* , and not mentioning pensions, Soc Security, retirement investments, etc , it could be.

You may posses, use, or carry magazines of any capacity. You may not buy, sell, offer to sell, manufacture them, or give away within Maryland borders. You may bring them in with you either when you move in, or whenever you venture from Md to America.

To put into context, the typical Md commute already sucks . An hour each way is very normal, plenty go over that. Keeping within 60th percentile of commuting, most Md based jobs are within commuting v range of a border. The only part if the state that is catagorically iffy is the Ft Meade to Glen Burnie area.

The year i left MD we made about 180, Last year we pulled down just over 25. Funny thing is that we have more money to spend now. It's not all going to a mortgage and car payments. I live nearly debt free with no mortgage and am still more than 2 decades from any sort of retirement.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Op, if it is a regulated firearm, you have to register it upon moving to Maryland.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Scott's sums it up pretty good on this webpage:

http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/new-resident-regulated-firearms-registration/

An HBAR AR-15, that is not a pistol, is not a regulated firearm.

You can find the definitions of what an Assault Pistol, Assault Weapon, Assault Long, and Copycat Weapon are in Md. Code Crim section 4-301 and Md. Code Public Safety section 5-101. Told myself I was going to go to bed and not post the definition, but here you are:

§4–301.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (b) “Assault long gun” means any assault weapon listed under § 5–101(r)(2) of the Public Safety Article.
    (c) “Assault pistol” means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:
    (1) AA Arms AP–9 semiautomatic pistol;
    (2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;
    (3) Claridge HI–TEC semiautomatic pistol;
    (4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;
    (5) Encom MK–IV, MP–9, or MP–45 semiautomatic pistol;
    (6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP–89 pistol;
    (7) Holmes MP–83 semiautomatic pistol;
    (8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    (9) Intratec TEC–9/DC–9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;
    (10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;
    (11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;
    (12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    (13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;
    (14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or
    (15) Wilkinson semiautomatic “Linda” pistol.
    (d) “Assault weapon” means:
    (1) an assault long gun;
    (2) an assault pistol; or
    (3) a copycat weapon.
    (e) (1) “Copycat weapon” means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
    (2) “Copycat weapon” does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.

Md. Code Pub Safety §5–101.

(r) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK–47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM–1 type semi–auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi–auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi–auto;
    (vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi–auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi–auto;
    (viii) Auto–Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi–automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi–auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi–auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi–auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M–100 and M–900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi–auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C–9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle;
    (xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K–1, and K–2;
    (xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi–auto;
    (xviii) Famas semi–auto (.223 caliber);
    (xix) Feather AT–9 semi–auto;
    (xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
    (xxi) FNC semi–auto type carbine;
    (xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
    (xxiii) Steyr–AUG–SA semi–auto;
    (xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi–auto;
    (xxv) Heckler and Koch HK–91 A3, HK–93 A2, HK–94 A2 and A3;
    (xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
    (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
    (xxviii) Manchester Arms “Commando” MK–45, MK–9;
    (xxix) Mandell TAC–1 semi–auto carbine;
    (xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
    (xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
    (xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
    (xxxiii) Ruger mini–14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
    (xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
    (xxxvi) AP–74 Commando type semi–auto;
    (xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM–59, SAR–48, G3, SAR–3, M–21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
    (xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
    (xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
    (xl) Unique F11 semi–auto type;
    (xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi–auto shotgun;
    (xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
    (xliii) Valmet M–76 and M–78 semi–auto;
    (xliv) Weaver Arms “Nighthawk” semi–auto carbine; or
    (xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi–auto “Terry”.

If you really want to see the code section requiring the registration of a regulated firearm, I'll dig that up in the morning. Suffice it to say though, that a regulated firearm, which is a handgun or any of those listed in Md. Code Pub Safety Section 5-101(r) must be registered.

Code section dealing with registration for somebody moving to Maryland is Md. Code Pub. Safety section 5-143. Not sure a Copycat Weapon actually falls under the definition of a regulated firearm, but I would have to look into that further.

Good luck with your move to this state.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

I believe the biggest thing is the HBAR vs. my current M4 profile barrel. Is there anyway to keep my M4? I really do not want to change the barrel.

Thanks everyone.

M4 Barrel Profile
    Chambered in 5.56mm
    Free Float Quad Rail
    M16 Bolt Carrier Group
    Arms Room Lower Receiver