• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Seems as if weekday mornings are not the time to go anymore, probably "stay at home" related?

Used to always go at or just after opening time for the last few years, hadnt been able to since last December though. Just got some time the last 2 weeks and each of the 6 mornings that I have tried there have been at least 10 cars parked there and on one occasion there were over 20! (parked in the grass and in the road)

Are afternoons any better of late?

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    So I was down to myrtle grove. Last Sunday and I was rather shocked to see that there is at least two “shooting instruction schools” and I use that term VERY loosely running a business model where they go down to myrtle grove and suck up at least two tables each for an entire day while there is a line out to the parking lot. DNR was there and didn’t even question it and this makes me wonder WTF. I ended up on a table next to one of them and the guy had no real idea how much of an a$$#0le he was because I gave one of his customers grief about handling his weapon during “cold range”. Is there anyth8ng that can be done about these yahoos?

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    the rule clear state there is an hour time limit when people are waiting. call them out on it also ask them to see their permits because everyone that is shooting needs one. call them out on that too.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    the rule clear state there is an hour time limit when people are waiting. call them out on it also ask them to see their permits because everyone that is shooting needs one. call them out on that too.

I should have talked to the DNR guy about it but he had his hands full for the moment with a lady who “couldn’t find her daily pass”....maybe next weekend as my son had a blast of a time down there.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    they are going to be closing down very soon for deer gun season. if these people are using a public funded property to operate a private business. this needs to stop and stop now. i also think that only maryland resident should be allowed to use the range. it is to crowded now and the business and out of state are adding to this over crowding. if they add a few more public ranges in the country to ease off the crowd then start letting out of state use it again and busness to rent space.

czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    What sort of maintenance? Maybe the "pathways" between the shooting benches and the target areas, because the last two times I was there, it was a swamp of mucky mud and water. :(

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The usual "Social Distance" stuff, keep your space and the like.
    Masks not required that I can see.

As always wear boots or shoes you dont mind getting muddy. Lots of rain there Thursday and some snow last night.

Thanks. Looking to do my annual pilgrimage there. My local range has a guest limit of 2, trying to bring my 3 cousins to shoot.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    If I try and show up tomorrow or Sunday, do there still tend to be crowds this late in the year, so I better shoot for opening bell, or are things a bit calmer?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Anyone ever take a range finder to the shotgun range to see how many yards back it is to the tree line? Trying to figure out what distance I shoot clays with to see if I’m doing closer to trap or skeet distances.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Haven't used a rangefinder on the shotgun range there, but on google maps you can measure distance. I am not super familiar with the shotgun part of the range but using the google maps tool it looks like either 100ft or 150ft.

To try it:
    https://goo.gl/maps/CsVMLDERYhU3Kmc36

Right click where you want to start measuring from, then left click where you want to measure to. After you have done that you can then click and drag either end of the measurement.

It is actually a pretty accurate measurement. Just gotta get the start and stop parts where you want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom