• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Mass Supreme Court strike down stun gun ban. Opinion is attached.
    Last place in the country with a stun gun ban that has not been challenged in court is Rhode Island. I don't know anybody in Rhode Island. Anyone know potential plaintiffs? BTW this is not one of my cases it is a criminal case out of Mass.
    I am currently in NY and Hawaii for taser stuff

http://reason.com/volokh/2018/04/17/massachusetts-high-court-strikes-down-st#comment_7228635

Attachments

• mass taser case.pdf
      175.5 KB · Views: 229
    Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Looks like they got the message loud and clear from SCOTUS. I doubt the state will try to appeal.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Great job, Wolfie!

Sorry I should have been more clear this one is not my case. It is a criminal case out of Mass.
    I am currently in NY and Hawaii for taser stuff. That said this case just improved my chances of winning in those cases greatly

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The key paragraph is:

Having received guidance from the Supreme Court in Caetano II, we now conclude that stun guns are "arms" within the protection of the Second Amendment. Therefore, under the Second Amendment, the possession of stun guns may be regulated, but not absolutely banned. Restrictions may be placed on the categories of persons who may possess them, licenses may be required for their possession, and those licensed to possess them may be barred from carrying them in sensitive places, such as schools and government buildings. But the absolute prohibition in § 131J that bars all civilians from possessing or carrying stun guns, even in their home, is inconsistent with the Second Amendment and is therefore unconstitutional.

Insert /replace your favorite "arms" into this paragaph for stun guns

Like say AR15.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Only downside is the court went way out of their way to essentially write the road map for the legislature to attach all sorts of strings to stun guns, such as licensing (probably may-issue).

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    want to know what stun guns existed when the 2nd Amendment was written, the left likes to think the 2nd only applies to weapons of the day

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    Don't get too excited. The SJC held their collective noses and wrote the opinion that they knew they had to write. They don't agree with it, they just couldn't find another way to uphold the law and not invite another per curiam GVR from SCOTUS. By their own admission, the SJC 'reluctantly' came to this decision and they went out of their way to write a highly prejudicial opinion cataloging all the horribles that will come from legalizing stun guns.

This is a farce. The Legislature is already working on a new way to effectively ban or highly restricted EDWs and the SJC has encouraged them to do so. I expect that there will continue to be litigation opportunities on stun guns after the legislature acts.

The opinion doesn't add anything to 2A precedent because the SJC's only justification for the ruling was 'SCOTUS made us do it'.

Note that the lawyer here also argued Caetano.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Don't get too excited. The SJC held their collective noses and wrote the opinion that they knew they had to write. They don't agree with it, they just couldn't find another way to uphold the law and not invite another per curiam GVR from SCOTUS. By their own admission, the SJC 'reluctantly' came to this decision and they went out of their way to write a highly prejudicial opinion cataloging all the horribles that will come from legalizing stun guns.

This is a farce. The Legislature is already working on a new way to effectively ban or highly restricted EDWs and the SJC has encouraged them to do so. I expect that there will continue to be litigation opportunities on stun guns after the legislature acts.

The opinion doesn't add anything to 2A precedent because the SJC's only justification for the ruling was 'SCOTUS made us do it'.

Note that the lawyer here also argued Caetano.

Judges dont have to like the law, just enforce it.

"SCOTUS made us do it" is really as good as it gets, and I will take it.

I don't agree that it doesn't add anything to 2A precedent, they concluded bans are not constitutional. This can be applied to any gun ban. Insert your favorite weapon into their analysis.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Judges dont have to like the law, just enforce it.

"SCOTUS made us do it" is really as good as it gets, and I will take it.

I don't agree that it doesn't add anything to 2A precedent, they concluded bans are not constitutional. This can be applied to any gun ban. Insert your favorite weapon into their analysis.

The problem is they went out of their way to say that only a total, categorical ban is unconstitutional, implying that they'd have no issue if the state required "may issue" permits to carry them.

Ginsburg's death can't come soon enough.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Mass Supreme Court strike down stun gun ban. Opinion is attached.
    Last place in the country with a stun gun ban that has not been challenged in court is Rhode Island. I don't know anybody in Rhode Island. Anyone know potential plaintiffs? BTW this is not one of my cases it is a criminal case out of Mass.
    I am currently in NY and Hawaii for taser stuff

http://reason.com/volokh/2018/04/17/massachusetts-high-court-strikes-down-st#comment_7228635

Wow. They can be taught!

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    want to know what stun guns existed when the 2nd Amendment was written, the left likes to think the 2nd only applies to weapons of the day

In the 1700's they had "stun" technology. Wooden mallet to the mellon was used.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    Wow. They can be taught!
    Don't be too impressed with the SJC. By their own admission, they've come to this decision 'reluctantly'. Their opinion is highly prejudicial and all but categorizes EDW as deadly weapons.

The current redraft of the stun gun ban was underway the week before this decision was released (coincidence???) and will make it incredibly difficult or even impossible for most Massachusetts residents to legally purchase or possess Tasers or stun guns - e.g. "(g) A device or weapon sold under this section shall include a mechanism for tracking the number of times the device or weapon has been fired."

https://willbrownsberger.com/stun-gun-ban-revisited/

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

Yes, this is where their logic can really be worked against them.

What capacity should these stun guns have? Only one battery? Certainly no civilian needs this many volts, so what is the limit to their "caliber", too?

If the momentum is good and great patriots like OP keep at it, the tables could turn.. the upside down logic of the anti-2A could be righted.

1A could only apply to the day and times it was written.. certainly all social media was never considered in the writing of the 1A... it only applies to newspapers.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Don't be too impressed with the SJC. By their own admission, they've come to this decision 'reluctantly'. Their opinion is highly prejudicial and all but categorizes EDW as deadly weapons.

The current redraft of the stun gun ban was underway the week before this decision was released (coincidence???) and will make it incredibly difficult or even impossible for most Massachusetts residents to legally purchase or possess Tasers or stun guns - e.g. "(g) A device or weapon sold under this section shall include a mechanism for tracking the number of times the device or weapon has been fired."

https://willbrownsberger.com/stun-gun-ban-revisited/

IIRC Tazer records a time stamp of each discharge on the internal memo of their devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom