• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I was onsite this morning at one of my clients in York. We heard shots then sirens. Turns out a former employee that was recently terminated came back, shot the foreman and then himself in the business next door. It got me thinking..

If red flag laws go national what would keep an employer from requesting an EPRO for anyone known to own firearms that gets fired or laid off regardless if they seem like a threat or not?

be careful who you discuss your hobbies with..

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As tempting as it is to disclose to co-workers, clients, and vendors that you're passionate shooting sports person (or have an interest in defending yourself, etc), and as much as I like to try to have those conversations when possible in my Quixotic quest to re-normalize gun ownership in contemporary society ... the prospect of that knowledge working against you in various ways makes it an increasingly good practice to avoid those conversations. Which, alas, is just how the lefties like it: make gun ownership odd, strange, and socially uncomfortable.

On the other hand: I've noticed that some people fully embrace their positions on controversial matters as they do business, knowing full well that it will run off some customers/prospects, and gambling that it will cement relationships with others. That's a gamble it's much harder for a business owner to make in places like Montgomery County (when it comes to 2A support), and I have to be realistic about that.

The main problem, now, is that you're not just risking the loss of a client if you know they don't like your (for example) gun politics. The lefties are now perfectly comfortable doxing people. Setting out specifically to ruin a business and even a personal reputation just for being who they are. I'd never have thought it possible, but we're entering a new phase where the lefty media is starting to directly associate gun ownership with "white nationalism" or whatever irredeemably deplorable status is the Sin du Jour. It's really hard to keep your head down (and your business safe) while trying to simultaneously champion this stuff. Maddening.

As for the OP's next-door horror show: ugh. I'm glad the guy wasn't so bonkers that he decided to wander in and out of other businesses doing the same before killing himself. Obviously the guy got fired for a reason, and wasn't stable. Loss of a career (and sometimes a car, home, insurance, and even family) like that can definitely be a catalyst for some people to snap. Hope it never happens around me. Sure makes a gotta-be-buzzed-in business door with a security camera pretty appealing. Hate to have to live and work in fortresses, but especially right after you've fired someone that feels that edgy, there's a lot to be said for some precautions.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thoughtcrime.

Just like in the instruction book.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Interesting thought, that I hadn't considered.

Just last night we attended the opening of a local library, we donated some funds and have 2 bricks(one with my late Mother in laws name and one with the kiddos). I didn't make it 5 feet in the library and a women came over and said I like your shirt. I had to look down to realize it was a Glock polo. Not something I expected to hear ever and certainly not in a local library lol.

An hour later, I see the same women walking over with her husband. We chatted for a few, come to find out he is the local mayor of the small town and happens to be the chief RSO at TMGN. Small world.

As tempting as it is to disclose to co-workers, clients, and vendors that you're passionate shooting sports person (or have an interest in defending yourself, etc), and as much as I like to try to have those conversations when possible in my Quixotic quest to re-normalize gun ownership in contemporary society ... the prospect of that knowledge working against you in various ways makes it an increasingly good practice to avoid those conversations. Which, alas, is just how the lefties like it: make gun ownership odd, strange, and socially uncomfortable.

On the other hand: I've noticed that some people fully embrace their positions on controversial matters as they do business, knowing full well that it will run off some customers/prospects, and gambling that it will cement relationships with others. That's a gamble it's much harder for a business owner to make in places like Montgomery County (when it comes to 2A support), and I have to be realistic about that.

The main problem, now, is that you're not just risking the loss of a client if you know they don't like your (for example) gun politics. The lefties are now perfectly comfortable doxing people. Setting out specifically to ruin a business and even a personal reputation just for being who they are. I'd never have thought it possible, but we're entering a new phase where the lefty media is starting to directly associate gun ownership with "white nationalism" or whatever irredeemably deplorable status is the Sin du Jour. It's really hard to keep your head down (and your business safe) while trying to simultaneously champion this stuff. Maddening.

As for the OP's next-door horror show: ugh. I'm glad the guy wasn't so bonkers that he decided to wander in and out of other businesses doing the same before killing himself. Obviously the guy got fired for a reason, and wasn't stable. Loss of a career (and sometimes a car, home, insurance, and even family) like that can definitely be a catalyst for some people to snap. Hope it never happens around me. Sure makes a gotta-be-buzzed-in business door with a security camera pretty appealing. Hate to have to live and work in fortresses, but especially right after you've fired someone that feels that edgy, there's a lot to be said for some precautions.

Luckily that didn't happen however my client has several PA CCWs working in his business who are encouraged to carry while working..

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Interesting thought, that I hadn't considered.

Just last night we attended the opening of a local library, we donated some funds and have 2 bricks(one with my late Mother in laws name and one with the kiddos). I didn't make it 5 feet in the library and a women came over and said I like your shirt. I had to look down to realize it was a Glock polo. Not something I expected to hear ever and certainly not in a local library lol.

An hour later, I see the same women walking over with her husband. We chatted for a few, come to find out he is the local mayor of the small town and happens to be the chief RSO at TMGN. Small world.

My wife wears her "Come in, we're armed" t-shirt from Duffy's a lot. She tells me that she gets positive comments about it, pro-2A and such. She even gets some from time to time at Krav Maga MD in Columbia in the heart of the People's Republic.

Despite what the media would have you believe, I think Americans are more supportive of the 2A than is generally stated. The problem is that I think many take the 2A for granted, are too busy to know that it's constantly under attack, or are content to let others fight for the 2A and their natural right to self defense. I long for the day that more of these folks join the fight, but until then, I will do what I can with more vigor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom