• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I have the m3000 and love it. My cousin has the a300. I like that gun too, obviously shot it less. Still I don’t think you can go wrong between all the suggestions.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    It's too bad the MP-153 (SPR-453) is not available any more. I bought one 8 years back maybe and it's a work horse. Guys complain it's heavy, but I only pick it up to drop birds. It's flawless, easy to take apart and I only had $350 in it. Two buddies bought one after trying mine.

I agree with everything said above. I’ve had mine for about 15 years. Never had an issue. Yes, it’s heavy, but when waterfowl hunting your not carrying it around much, at all.
    If you can find a used one, grab it. Definitely a workhorse.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I picked up a used A400 Xplor with Kick-off for 800 here on MDS and have been really happy with it. Runs smooth and really light on recoil.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I use a Beretta 3901 and it’s been flawless with every load I’ve put through it. I picked it up used here for $500. Lately I’ve been thinking about getting a 3.5” gun and was looking at the Mossberg 395. Mainly because I prefer the tang safety.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Went and felt the a300 last night. For the price and what I’ve been hearing I’m gonna go with it. Will be ordering one tonight. Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Congrats on your choice. The one that I have fired belongs to a friend who uses it for waterfowl hunting. Never had an issue in the five or so years he has had it.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm just gonna say it.....

Beretta DOMINATES the autoloader world.

I've owned an 1100 Competition in both wood and Jack West composite, a Benelli SS, Browning Maxus in both Sporting and also MODB and MOSGB, along with many Berettas.

The Beretta is simply a better designed gun, more reliable, less finicky with light loads, more durable in the field in differing conditions, feels better in the hand and less "felt" recoil.

I'm not saying everyone shouldn't also an 1100 or 1187 or two. But,.... if you are serious about volume shooting or are doing a lot of hunting and don't want to have to worry about a back up stick, the A400 Extreme is just simply the best gun for the money.

I won't speak bad of a an Extrema or 391 either, plenty of people swear by them also.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    PJDiesel is correct on Beretta but I'd add the Benelli Superblack Eagle to the list. That's what I'm planning to get in the next year or two. I have two buddies with them, so I've shot them a lot and am always super jealous. I'm often sitting in a blind with a Benelli on my left and a Benelli on my right, while I'm shooting a Mossberg 500. My one friend has one of the earlier models and he's used it exclusively for all of his duck hunting for 20 years with zero mechanical problems. I really want a reliable autoloader that can accept a 3.5" shell, so that's what I'll go with once I am ready to cry once and drop $1500.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm just gonna say it.....

Beretta DOMINATES the autoloader world.

I've owned an 1100 Competition in both wood and Jack West composite, a Benelli SS, Browning Maxus in both Sporting and also MODB and MOSGB, along with many Berettas.

The Beretta is simply a better designed gun, more reliable, less finicky with light loads, more durable in the field in differing conditions, feels better in the hand and less "felt" recoil.

I'm not saying everyone shouldn't also an 1100 or 1187 or two. But,.... if you are serious about volume shooting or are doing a lot of hunting and don't want to have to worry about a back up stick, the A400 Extreme is just simply the best gun for the money.

I won't speak bad of a an Extrema or 391 either, plenty of people swear by them also.

I just got a Browning Maxus Wicked Wing. I have only shot one round of sporting clays with it, but was very happy with it. All of my shotguns are vintage O/U or SxS, and I really needed a gun I could drop in the bay without sobbing uncontrollably. Dove and duck seasons coming up. We'll see how it goes.

BrowningGuy recommend the Maxus. You can't tell me he's biased.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    and I really needed a gun I could drop in the bay without sobbing uncontrollably.

Most of us seem to have lost our collections due to tragic boat accidents :innocent0

As for the OP, I got a Beretta 400. I didn't want an inertia shotgun for the 3.5" shells. I hate shooting high brass shells out of my Benelli M2.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I just got a Browning Maxus Wild Wing. I have only shot one round of sporting clays with it, but was very happy with it. All of my shotguns are vintage O/U or SxS, and I really needed a gun I could drop in the bay without sobbing uncontrollably. Dove and duck seasons coming up. We'll see how it goes.

Ha.

I'm a Browning "Gal" of sorts I suppose. I've owned more Browning shotguns than all others combined. I shot ~250 rounds "at" birds in Saskatchewan with a Maxus last fall,.....zero issues. Pretty much can't go wrong with them either, work great with all loads, chuck hulls nice n' far, easy to clean..... or, don't bother cleaning and they still run right!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm not going to speak ill of an SBE (or) SBE2 either, obviously they are fine guns. I'm not a fan of the Nova look, but, to each his own.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I just got a Browning Maxus Wild Wing. I have only shot one round of sporting clays with it, but was very happy with it. All of my shotguns are vintage O/U or SxS, and I really needed a gun I could drop in the bay without sobbing uncontrollably. Dove and duck seasons coming up. We'll see how it goes.

I really love my Maxus. I'm curious though why you got a 26" barreled gun?
    (Assuming the wild wing you mentioned is actually the wicked wing)

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I just picked up a Benelli Super Vinci over the SBEIII. Clean gun out of the box, break it in w/ 3 boxes of heavy loads, clean again, and it will shoot all the light loads after that. read that most ppl don't have a problem out the box after cleaning, but I figure after spending that much, I can afford a few boxes of ammo to break it in. trouble is finding a place where you can shoot the heavy loads (pretty much gotta be private land). Only shot some skeet with it after a bust of a turkey hunt, but it shoots great! It's lightyears ahead of my old Mossy 500. Have a buddy that loves his Stoeger too built on the same system

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    I own a versamax and really like it. It does function flawlessly and has lighter recoil than anything else I own I shot a xtrema for years and it’s passed down to my youngest. He started with it 2 years ago at age 12
    I don’t like the Beneli because if the exaggerated recoil from the inertial operation. In my opinion stick with gas operation for waterfowl guns

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Most of us seem to have lost our collections due to tragic boat accidents :innocent0

My crazy uncle joe said my double guns didn’t have to go to a watery grave as long as I just shot doors.

I really love my Maxus. I'm curious though why you got a 26" barreled gun?
    (Assuming the wild wing you mentioned is actually the wicked wing)

Yes, the wicked wing.
    It’s 28” (they come in both lengths). then add 2” for the choke tube.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I own a versamax and really like it. It does function flawlessly and has lighter recoil than anything else I own I shot a xtrema for years and it’s passed down to my youngest. He started with it 2 years ago at age 12
    I don’t like the Beneli because if the exaggerated recoil from the inertial operation. In my opinion stick with gas operation for waterfowl guns

That's interesting. My benelli shooting 3.5" turkey loads had significantly less recoil than my buddy shooting 3" loads out of his 870.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom