Looking to purchase my first handgun. Any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    You have already gotten a lot of good advice in response to your questions regarding IP's and FFL's, so I will just say that I totally agree with my fellow MDS'ers. In the days before out of state retailers started charging state sales tax for online purchases. it was possible to get a good deal by buying from an online retailer. However, that margin is now either very small or has completely disappeared. Since you are looking at two very commonly available handguns, I suggest you start with an IP as suggested. I'm partial to the P320 myself!

Enjoy your first handgun purchase. I still fondly recall the Sig P226 that was my first purchase. I still have it and will probably never let it go for sentimental reasons even though I now have a Sig Legion P226 which shoots much better.

Cal68

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    You have already gotten a lot of good advice in response to your questions regarding IP's and FFL's, so I will just say that I totally agree with my fellow MDS'ers. In the days before out of state retailers started charging state sales tax for online purchases. it was possible to get a good deal by buying from an online retailer. However, that margin is now either very small or has completely disappeared. Since you are looking at two very commonly available handguns, I suggest you start with an IP as suggested. I'm partial to the P320 myself!

Enjoy your first handgun purchase. I still fondly recall the Sig P226 that was my first purchase. I still have it and will probably never let it go for sentimental reasons even though I now have a Sig Legion P226 which shoots much better.

Cal68

I’ve been told, revolver, Sig and Glock lol. Guess I need to test them out. I’m going to try Tyler’s Firearms since it’s the closest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My HQL class we shot a revolver and I thought it was pretty cool. Can’t find what type it was. I know it was a 38 and it didn’t have a snub nose. I’m going to sound like a complete noob so forgive me. I always thought with revolvers you had to cock the hammer back each shot like the old western. I didn’t have to when I shot at my HQL class and thought it was cool.
    Cocking the hammer is shooting single action.

Pulling the trigger so the revolver cocks itself, and then fires, is double action (much heavier trigger pull than firing single action).

Some modern revolvers are single action, but most all are single / double action.

Buy a revolver, AND a Glock or Sig. :party29:

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that glock magazines will cost you roughly half of what a sig mag will cost.

You will definitely want additional magazines for your first gun, so it’s something to keep in mind.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My HQL class we shot a revolver and I thought it was pretty cool. Can’t find what type it was. I know it was a 38 and it didn’t have a snub nose. I’m going to sound like a complete noob so forgive me. I always thought with revolvers you had to cock the hammer back each shot like the old western. I didn’t have to when I shot at my HQL class and thought it was cool.

For all of the advantages of today's popular semi-automatic pistols....

What you discovered from your first time experience was arguably a revolver's greatest asset....simplicity.

To this day, there's a lot to be said for it.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that glock magazines will cost you roughly half of what a sig mag will cost.

You will definitely want additional magazines for your first gun, so it’s something to keep in mind.

That’s good to know. I’ll look into pricing. May go with my gut and get my Glock 19 and revolver.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    For all of the advantages of today's popular semi-automatic pistols....

What you discovered from your first time experience was arguably a revolver's greatest asset....simplicity.

To this day, there's a lot to be said for it.

That’s why think it’s a great weapon for home defense. I was worried about only holding 5-7 rounds. If you can’t hit anything with 5-7 shots probably should t own a gun.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Honestly thinking about getting a revolver and one of the other ones

If that’s the case then go for your Designated Collectors License. Just a notarized form you send to MSP which will allow you to skip the 30 day rule between gun purchases. Well worth it. Do a search in this forum for more information.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    If that’s the case then go for your Designated Collectors License. Just a notarized form you send to MSP which will allow you to skip the 30 day rule between gun purchases. Well worth it. Do a search in this forum for more information.

Definitely will. Thanks!

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    What if you are the victim of a multi-person home invasion ......

Beware of 'absolutes' like the above bolded.

One cannot have 'too many' rounds at their disposal.

Very true. I know in MD you can’t buy a magazine that holds more than 10. I plan to head to VA or PA and buy a bigger magazine. Is that legal to use in MD? One thing that turned me into the Glock 17 was the one I used at the range heard 17 rounds. I know I can’t buy that in MD but I want a magazine that size.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That’s why think it’s a great weapon for home defense. I was worried about only holding 5-7 rounds. If you can’t hit anything with 5-7 shots probably should t own a gun.

It takes more than a little proficiency to be able to reliably hit a target with a handgun. Proficiency is a function of repetition, of understanding and repeatedly executing proper methodology.

Every firearm ever invented comes with tradeoffs. Capacity is merely one such possible tradeoff.

The very best defensive firearm for you at any point in time is the one you're most intimately familiar with. For many and most people, intimate familiarity (oftentimes quite predictably) never happens. So simplicity for many can become an asset, and an asset that capacity can't offset. Slides and releases and mags don't play well amongst the uninitiated, even more so when amongst lions and tigers and bears.

In an ideal world, everyone would train extensively with what they purchase. In the real world, we make assessments, to include the likelihood for many of an hour or two of range time (maybe) for every year or two of night stand time. And if indicated, we consider tradeoffs, and what might make the most sense.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Very true. I know in MD you can’t buy a magazine that holds more than 10. I plan to head to VA or PA and buy a bigger magazine. Is that legal to use in MD? One thing that turned me into the Glock 17 was the one I used at the range heard 17 rounds. I know I can’t buy that in MD but I want a magazine that size.

Yes, you can legally buy standard capacity magazines in other states and bring them into maryland and use them here.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    Yes, you can legally buy standard capacity magazines in other states and bring them into maryland and use them here.

Great! Can’t really remember but I thought the instructor said you would get in trouble if caught with a extended mag. Maybe I heard it wrong

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As mentioned, go to a well stocked IP. Don't mess around with online crap, you wont save that much. Go fondle and ask questions. See what fits your hand and feels right. Build a relationship with a dealer. You will be glad you did later on.
    Go to a range that rents and fire said firearm. Again, see how it feels and functions. You will get lots of recommendations for lots of different firearms. You need to make sure YOU like it.
    Oh and when you do finally get one, take it home and clean it (assuming new) and lube it before the first range session.
    There is also the used route. You can get some awesome deals from IP's selling consignments. I know I have. Watch the threads.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Don't forget Baltimore's Best Pawn in Finksburg. About 25 miles from Tyler's so a little further out for you but they stock Sigs and Glocks. Not as much in the way of revolvers but Dan will be there when you're ready to start your 1911 or 2011 addiction. Plus, since it is a pawn shop, you can get a set of tools or whatever else when you're there.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Great! Can’t really remember but I thought the instructor said you would get in trouble if caught with a extended mag. Maybe I heard it wrong

All good advice here, especially renting and trying out.
    Galldang these "instructors" giving out false info! This is the best site to get real and accurate info, so you've come to the right place. Learned alot here!

Guns are like ink jet printers...the REAL money is in the ammo you'll expend ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom