• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I have decided on a G30 to have as my 45 for a conceal carry option to add to the mix.

The question is Gen 3 SF or Gen 4? Let me also add, I am choosing between 2 used pistols.

The gen 3 SF has the old frying pan tennifer finish with ghost ring rear site with totally dead front night sight. I would need to replace sights for CC, maybe keep rear, front needs replaced for sure.
    The trigger feels as if it already has a reduced wright spring in it.
    Already has extended mag release too. Price is $450.00 (25 Xfer) no original box with 3 mags. Round count unknown.

The gen 4 is stock with standard sights which would also be replaced. Comes with original box and 5 mags, 4-10 rounders and 1-9 round flush fit.
    The finish is NOT the new matte Grey that scratches instantly, which I'm avoiding if possible.
    Price is $450.00 (20 Xfer) round count known to be less than 200, original owner.

I have handled both G30's at my LGS and both felt about the same in the grip.
    It's my understanding that the gen 4 with no back straps is comparible to the gen 3 SF frame. Which felt about correct.

I do like the idea of being able to put a G29 slide on the gen4 30 frame later if I chose to. Which I wouldn't be able to do with the SF frame correct? Or is there is 29SF slide that mates with the 30SF frame?

Let's leave the 30S and G36 out of the equation. I have eliminated them as options. 4oz savings on the 30S and low capacity on single stack G36 don't interest me.

I have been really stuck deciding and would love some feedback.
    I'm leaning towards Gen4.
    Thoughts?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have decided on a G30 to have as my 45 for a conceal carry option to add to the mix.

The question is Gen 3 SF or Gen 4? Let me also add, I am choosing between 2 used pistols.

The gen 3 SF has the old frying pan tennifer finish with ghost ring rear site with totally dead front night sight. I would need to replace sights for CC, maybe keep rear, front needs replaced for sure.
    The trigger feels as if it already has a reduced wright spring in it.
    Already has extended mag release too. Price is $450.00 (25 Xfer) no original box with 3 mags. Round count unknown.

The gen 4 is stock with standard sights which would also be replaced. Comes with original box and 5 mags, 4-10 rounders and 1-9 round flush fit.
    The finish is NOT the new matte Grey that scratches instantly, which I'm avoiding if possible.
    Price is $450.00 (20 Xfer) round count known to be less than 200, original owner.

I have handled both G30's at my LGS and both felt about the same in the grip.
    It's my understanding that the gen 4 with no back straps is comparible to the gen 3 SF frame. Which felt about correct.

I do like the idea of being able to put a G29 slide on the gen4 30 frame later if I chose to. Which I wouldn't be able to do with the SF frame correct? Or is there is 29SF slide that mates with the 30SF frame?

Let's leave the 30S and G36 out of the equation. I have eliminated them as options. 4oz savings on the 30S and low capacity on single stack G36 don't interest me.

I have been really stuck deciding and would love some feedback.
    I'm leaning towards Gen4.
    Thoughts?
    There is no different 29sf slide. The frame is the only thing changed, so yes you can switch slides.

I prefer the Gen 3 texture. To each his own.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I think my G29sf is niftyist thing since screw top beer cans. G30sf would be same size.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I ended up going with the Gen 4. I met the seller this evening at a great little shop called Bluestone Firearms in York PA.

Turned out to be a Gen 4 blue label G30 in great condition so I hopped on it. I was wondering how/why it was priced so low considering it has 5 total Glock factory mags with it, getting 5 mags and not having to search out more is nice. It made sense when I saw the LE discount sticker with the amount of $464.20 still on the box.
    I can't wait to get to the range this week!!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I ended up going with the Gen 4. I met the seller this evening at a great little shop called Bluestone Firearms in York PA.

Turned out to be a Gen 4 blue label G30 in great condition so I hopped on it. I was wondering how/why it was priced so low considering it has 5 total Glock factory mags with it, getting 5 mags and not having to search out more is nice. It made sense when I saw the LE discount sticker with the amount of $464.20 still on the box.
    I can't wait to get to the range this week!!

There are used blue labels? Thought it was new purchase only?

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    So to be technical, it is not a blue label purchase :)

The blue label refers to not only the discount but the color coding on the original box. Glock box labels are color coded. Blue is LE, purple is USA made, red is standard capacity mags, white is 10 round mags. The original box is in fact blue labeled.
    The only way someone would know if they had a blue label is if the original box is with it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The blue label refers to not only the discount but the color coding on the original box. Glock box labels are color coded. Blue is LE, purple is USA made, red is standard capacity mags, white is 10 round mags. The original box is in fact blue labeled.
    The only way someone would know if they had a blue label is if the original box is with it.
    Oh. Someone should tell the largest Glock blue label dealer in Maryland (the cop shop). I've have probably 5 new, blue label purchases over the years and never had a blue box.

Oh. The sticky labels. Not the box. I just re read your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Oh. Someone should tell the largest Glock blue label dealer in Maryland (the cop shop). I've have probably 5 new, blue label purchases over the years and never had a blue box.

Oh. The sticky labels. Not the box. I just re read your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Correct the sticky label not the box itself.
    Also funny they made 10 round cases labeled white for the snowflakes. Intentional or not still funny lol

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Factory extended slide stop and meprolite night sights are in route.
    I'm thinking about adding a tungsten recoil spring assembly to replace the factory plastic RSA.
    Anyone have any opinions on switching out the plastic guide rod to steel or tungsten?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm thinking about adding a tungsten recoil spring assembly to replace the factory plastic RSA.
    Anyone have any opinions on switching out the plastic guide rod to steel or tungsten?

I have kept the original in mine. I see no need to add that expense to the handgun for, at best, marginal improvement.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Why change out either of those? Leave good enough alone. It's a self defense pistol, not a race gun. You're taking 1 shot or so from contact to 10 yards (give or take) distance.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Why change out either of those? Leave good enough alone. It's a self defense pistol, not a race gun. You're taking 1 shot or so from contact to 10 yards (give or take) distance.

I understand your point. However I don't intend to just carry it and take 1 shot.
    I do quite a bit of shooting especially with what I carry. I'm very close to my club where I live.

The fact is that the plastic RSA can bend/flex and effect the placement of follow up shots.
    I like the idea of eliminating that weakness of the glock. It may be marginal as mentioned earlier, why not improve it if possible was my thinking.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I understand your point. However I don't intend to just carry it and take 1 shot.
    I do quite a bit of shooting especially with what I carry. I'm very close to my club where I live.

The fact is that the plastic RSA can bend/flex and effect the placement of follow up shots.
    I like the idea of eliminating that weakness of the glock. It may be marginal as mentioned earlier, why not improve it if possible was my thinking.
    Improve your grip.

Do the do's. Don't do the don'ts.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Improve your grip.

I agree 1000% mechanics are important and is always a work on progress, but I'm taking about gear upgrades that can improve performance.
    Why not upgrade if it offers an improvement?
    Maybe tungsten and stainless steel rsa's are "snake oil"? I may just have to find out for myslef.
    I appreciate all the feedback!!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I agree 1000% mechanics are important and is always a work on progress, but I'm taking about gear upgrades that can improve performance.
    Why not upgrade if it offers an improvement?
    Maybe tungsten and stainless steel rsa's are "snake oil"? I may just have to find out for myslef.
    I appreciate all the feedback!!
    It's your shoot. Shoot it the way you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom