• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coldblooded

Jun 3, 2013
    I've been calling around looking for a reasonably priced Ruger Mini 14 w/ no success. Thinking I might have better luck in VA, I called the closet Bass Pro Shop in VA. Guy says we just sold one, I'll put you on the list and call you when we get more. I asked do you sell to MD residents? (I disclosed this because I don't want to drive all the way there, only to have them tell me to kick rocks).

He said, I'm glad you said that, we aren't allowed to sell "those types of weapons" to MD residents. I said the rifle is legal here, I just haven't been able to find them and that its not illegal under VA or MD law for them to sell me an unregulated rifle (I am a lawyer, but he doesn't know that). He said just try and get it from a MD Bass Pro, it will be just as easy (clearly missing the concept of the scarcity of the product in our fair state). I called On Target: "we don't have them and we won't order them." Small Arms in PG "We dont have them and we won't order them."

My concern now is that when the stupid ass ban goes into effect, the gun dealers, both in VA and in MD, will be too afraid to sell Mini 14s despite only the ones with the folding stocks being on the ban list. Forgot, went to MD and the clerk told me: "we dont order Minis, guess you are trying to get in before the ban, i just bought one in VA." I said "its not on the ban list, so no im not trying to get in before the ban." "Oh."

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Their store. Their 01 FFL license. Their choice. Take your business elsewhere and forget them.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Their store. Their 01 FFL license. Their choice. Take your business elsewhere and forget them.

This.

You might not see them at every store but they're still available and if you don't mind used, there are decent deals to be had if you're patient.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Not sure which model you want but Lou had a lot of them at Shooter's Discount. I would go there before leaving the state.

For buying out of state, the big box stores are not going to go far to help someone from out of state. Their shop, their rules.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I've been calling around looking for a reasonably priced Ruger Mini 14 w/ no success. Thinking I might have better luck in VA, I called the closet Bass Pro Shop in VA. Guy says we just sold one, I'll put you on the list and call you when we get more. I asked do you sell to MD residents? (I disclosed this because I don't want to drive all the way there, only to have them tell me to kick rocks).

He said, I'm glad you said that, we aren't allowed to sell "those types of weapons" to MD residents. I said the rifle is legal here, I just haven't been able to find them and that its not illegal under VA or MD law for them to sell me an unregulated rifle (I am a lawyer, but he doesn't know that). He said just try and get it from a MD Bass Pro, it will be just as easy (clearly missing the concept of the scarcity of the product in our fair state). I called On Target: "we don't have them and we won't order them." Small Arms in PG "We dont have them and we won't order them."

My concern now is that when the stupid ass ban goes into effect, the gun dealers, both in VA and in MD, will be too afraid to sell Mini 14s despite only the ones with the folding stocks being on the ban list. Forgot, went to MD and the clerk told me: "we dont order Minis, guess you are trying to get in before the ban, i just bought one in VA." I said "its not on the ban list, so no im not trying to get in before the ban." "Oh."

Firearms-related businesses have been timid about selling to MD for decades. Expect more of this, and higher prices in the future.

The future of gun ownership in MD is indeed bleak. It's now just as bad as NY, NJ, CA, IL, etc. Expect little to no help from outside the state, in terms dealers and distributors who will refuse to send ANYTHING to this state. Only creative local shops (especially IPs) that have good ties to sources outside of MD to build compliant rifles and stock otherwise legal merchandise.

Having worked in the firearms industry for a few years, I know it's going to be a nightmare after 10/1. That's why I had to finally abandon residing in the state I was born and raised in. SB281 was the biggest middle finger to my trade, hobby, way of life, and liberty. :sad20:

I don't know what good it will do, but maybe MSI or MLFDA or even MDS can ally with organizations like the VCDL to pressure Virginia dealers (especially those in NoVA) to know and comply with MD laws now and in the future. There will always be dealers who are too worried about CYA and not concerned enough with helping customers of a neighboring state while still maintaining compliance with laws in both states.

It sucks but that's where we're headed.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Save yourself a lot of headache and don't bother with Small Arms in PG. They don't even know what the Brady law says for one or what is and is not unregulated. They just process everything as regulated "to be on the safe side" and flat out refuse to get clarification from State police.

I wish I could warn myself 4 months ago. Best advice is stick to IP's of this forum, they will go the extra mile for you, even if they don't get your business.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I was at Lou's on Saturday and if memory serves, there were 5-6 mini-14s sitting in the rack. All stainless, all synthetic stocks

---
    Shamr0ck

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have run into this even with the attempted purchase of a bolt action rifle. Some FFLs just don't want to bother with trying to figure out what is legal or not WRT selling to MD resident.

I would bet, if you went to that Bass Pro, they have a book with the actual requirements, and would look them up and comply. The guy was being lazy that it seemed to him, without looking, that it would be on the regulated list.

I recently bought a shotgun at Gander Mountain in VA, and they looked it up, with my assistance, to make sure it was OK. They had the regulated list.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013

UFB

Oldmarylander

Jun 25, 2013

Virginia dealers do their best to understand WTF is happening in Maryland, but it is so screwed up up here, what do we expect from them? I think that some mini-14s are on the ban list, and some aren't.

I was recently told by a Virginia FFL that he couldn't sell me an FNH PS90, I just assumed that it was regulated, but learned today that it wasn't.

I think that this will get a lot worse after the ban goes into effect.

OM

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Their shop their rules ignorance. I had someone at Gander Mountain in York tell me they couldn't sell me a PS90 becaue it had a flash hider or pistol grip or some lame a$$ excuse. I could tell by their demeanor that they were convinced they were right so I just said 'oh really' and left. Their prices are high anyway.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds like the guy you spoke with doesn't know WTF he's talking about. With how many people work in a typical BP hunting department, some people will be better than others. Did you ask to speak with a lead or the hunting manager? If not, you should have(well...technically you shouldn't have had to because it's on them to know WTF they're doing). The hanover basspro is currently going through inventory, so we're locked out to what can be transferred in and out until friday. Let me know via pm which model of mini you are interested in and I'll call around after that to see if I can get one sent to the hanover store for you to pickup. They've bee pretty scarce in the gun inventory system and I haven't seen one roll through the hanover shop in a while, but I'll try.

If you do decide to give your business to one of our local shops(they'll need all the help they can get to stay afloat after oct 1), be sure to send a nastygram to basspro's corporate headquarters letting them know that because of misinformation they lost out on a sale. It seems legal advice from corporate is VERY conservative to the point of getting in the way sometimes and your feedback can help clear up legal misinterpretations(been working on the fact that a md basspro is allowed legally to sell a nonregulated long gun to a resident that ISNT in a contiguous state for some time now and that's gone nowhere). I'd be sure to include the fact that you are a lawyer in your email or call to corporate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom