Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 21st, 2019, 04:36 PM #11

Attached Images

per zoostation;
So how do I feel about eating and driving? It's, ummm, oh, I don't know, it's the internet. Who gives a shit. Heck I don't even give a shit what I think about it.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 04:38 PM #12

Attached Images

per zoostation;
So how do I feel about eating and driving? It's, ummm, oh, I don't know, it's the internet. Who gives a shit. Heck I don't even give a shit what I think about it.
Old July 21st, 2019, 05:01 PM #13

Now since I'm new to this cartridge the next question is for a scope recommendation,more about magnification than brand right now.Barrel is 1:14 and from what I gather 50-55 gr is ideal.We all know how the internet is and I see claims of .5" @ 300 yds factory ammo and others claiming a best of 1.5 @ 300 with handloads.I'd believe the MDS crowd before anyone else.

So back to my original question,scopes.Is 3x9 sufficient or am I better with 4x12,5x20.I have purposely left out my intentions with it (because I don't really know yet ) just looking to utilize the potential of the cartridge at this time.

Sorry for all the noob questions,maybe I'll get lucky and e.shell will chime in and we can delete this thread.

per zoostation;
Old July 21st, 2019, 06:39 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Now since I'm new to this cartridge the next question is for a scope recommendation,more about magnification than brand right now.Barrel is 1:14 and from what I gather 50-55 gr is ideal.We all know how the internet is and I see claims of .5" @ 300 yds factory ammo and others claiming a best of 1.5 @ 300 with handloads.I'd believe the MDS crowd before anyone else.

So back to my original question,scopes.Is 3x9 sufficient or am I better with 4x12,5x20.I have purposely left out my intentions with it (because I don't really know yet ) just looking to utilize the potential of the cartridge at this time.

Sorry for all the noob questions,maybe I'll get lucky and e.shell will chime in and we can delete this thread.
Well sir, I'm certainly not E. Shell. But I sure do like the .22-250 cartridge.

I think you'll find that your 14 twist will do fine with 55 grain bullets, but may prove to perform even better with bullets in the 40-52 grain range. Sighted at 1.6 inches high at 100 yards with a 50 grain bullet at 3700fps, you'll be within 2 inches high or low versus point of aim out to about 285 yards. Yeah, the cartridge is indeed pretty flat, and is capable of being pretty darned precise as well.

You mention not knowing what you want to do with that rifle. TO ME, what you have is a darned good varmint cartridge. Price range is an unknown here, as you didn't mention. But I'd be looking for good glass in something like a 4.5x14, a 4x16, or a 5x20, or a 6.5x20 or thereabouts. And definitely a good bipod.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:35 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post

I have seen a lot of people say that the 55gr was great for them in a 1 in 14 barrel. But, for me it was horrible in my Remington 700.

A 40gr Vmax load wound up putting out groups that I couldn't believe. I can dig up the load recipe if you are going to be loading for them.

I had a couple left handed 788's that I wound up getting rid of a couple few years ago. They were great, accurate rifles but turned out to not be what I was looking for after I bought them.

I do wish I had kept one of them though.
inkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 10:29 PM #16

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I paid around 600 for my 527 in 221 fireball. Great shooting rifle by the way.

Id say thats a solid deal.

I have a Leupold vx2 3-9 on the cz and its a handy little yote stalking rig.
firemn260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 07:27 PM #17

If you are looking for a good powder and load, H380 is a good starting point (38.0 grains and a 52 grain bullet....neat story behind the powder name).
PoPo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 07:39 PM #18

788 ARE a very good deal with ammo etc at that price.

I have a Rem 788 and have been offered $800 a couple time.. NOT

By the way I call it "moral obedience" rather than "civil disobedience" because it is God's law". Those who try to promote un-natural laws on us are committing moral disobedience. It is our duty to resist immoral laws and actions. By Richard Fry.
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles