• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Almost deserving of it's own thread....

Yeah... it doesn't sound all bad on the surface, but I honestly "feel" a lot of red flags on this one. What happens when a store/business employee has to use a gun in self defense while at work (one that isn't transported or carried by the employee)? I'm sure that's a "what-if" that currently applies, just with I suppose a misdemeanor instead of a felony, that doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past. But, given that this decision is clearly political in nature, who's to say the enforcement of the law won't change in addition to simply the charge and/or sentence? With stricter/stronger enforcement, could CCW holders be at risk for harassment, particularly if there are any grey areas in their 'restrictions'? Alaska and Vermont seem to do just fine without any carry restrictions at all, so I'm quite leery of any actual positive benefits this would have.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Yeah... it doesn't sound all bad on the surface, but I honestly "feel" a lot of red flags on this one. What happens when a store/business employee has to use a gun in self defense while at work (one that isn't transported or carried by the employee)? I'm sure that's a "what-if" that currently applies, just with I suppose a misdemeanor instead of a felony, that doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past. But, given that this decision is clearly political in nature, who's to say the enforcement of the law won't change in addition to simply the charge and/or sentence? With stricter/stronger enforcement, could CCW holders be at risk for harassment, particularly if there are any grey areas in their 'restrictions'? Alaska and Vermont seem to do just fine without any carry restrictions at all, so I'm quite leery of any actual positive benefits this would have.

What if I have to walk two blocks to my car (I live in the city), and a cop spots my gun case. Am I carrying illegally?

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    What if I have to walk two blocks to my car (I live in the city), and a cop spots my gun case. Am I carrying illegally?

I would call a State's Attorney and ask them or consult a private lawyer. Alternatively, start a new thread and pose the question there.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Does anyone from here read my blog and work for the state of MD?

I just happen to notice, that after quite a few times when I post something here, and or about guns and Maryland, someone that has state internet access decides to read...and I don't want to out board members, but I would think the state would block a site like this unless you're in the "intelligence" business.

ETA: Which one of you guys lives in Germany too?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I read your blog, but do not work for the state. And while I cannot disclose the exact location of my lair, it is closer to Prince Frederick than Duseldorf.

Our friends in the state are watching. It makes sense. They are just looking out for the citizens. :lol2:

Seriously, they need all the help they can get to fight this thing. I think we're kind of a back bench for them. Problem is, even at my most creative times (read: half drunk) I cannot come up with much more than delaying tactics. Forget Heller and McDonald for a second...so much of the pre-Heller case law actually supports the interpretation that people have a right to bear arms in public. So many supposed anti-2A decisions used language that essentially said "if 2A were fundamentally incorporated you would have this right, but it ain't so you don't."

Oops. That is the exact angle taken by MD in state courts previously. The conditions for public carry - laid out by one MD attorney general after another - have been met. What was once a restriction is now an asset for our side. MD has already stipulated our case but won't admit it. How do you back away from arguments made repeatedly to your own Supreme Court?

To our friends at the AG's office: tell your boss that he can sell this thing as having been forced upon him by the Supreme Court. If he talks about this newly recognized civil right, some traditional anti-gun groups will come around. Not all of them, but enough so that he can maintain political order. Hell...he might even make some friends. Politically, being pro-self defense has been a good thing in 84% of US states. Get ahead of this thing now and make it work for you. Or wait and get steamrolled by lawsuits.

Word will get out when we win: this is a right that MD has been withholding from you. All those folks in PG and B'more will line up to exercise it. Eventually they will resent those who previously held them back.

There is time for our politicians to get ahead of this. The AG could stipulate the facts and we'd all win. Or he could continue as he does, and then only we will win.

Either way, it is coming.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Does anyone from here read my blog and work for the state of MD?

I just happen to notice, that after quite a few times when I post something here, and or about guns and Maryland, someone that has state internet access decides to read...and I don't want to out board members, but I would think the state would block a site like this unless you're in the "intelligence" business.

ETA: Which one of you guys lives in Germany too?

I work for the state but I can still access your blog.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Ok, then maybe it was you. I'm still thinking about posting my screen grab, just to make the MSP point.

I just didn't think the state would allow you view MD shooters while at work. I guess I was wrong.

Here's what I grabbed this morning from my sitemeter.

http://wherespatton.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-always-feel-like-somebodys-watching.html

Our Internet access is restricted within our building by a guy that sits a few cubes down from me. My guess would be that it varies from facility to facility.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    N. Calvert Street could be the Schafer building and or St Hwy offices. If I am not mistaken.

Where's Spot and Norton, sorry for getting us off topic.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    N. Calvert Street could be the Schafer building and or St Hwy offices. If I am not mistaken.

Where's Spot and Norton, sorry for getting us off topic.

Prisoners Aid Association of MD
    Provides housing to ex-offenders and the homeless. Services include temporary housing, HIV information and education, substance abuse treatment, health care, prison outreach and education, employment training, GED preparation, and food services.
    Phone Number:
    (410) 662-0353
    Fax Number:
    (410) 662-0358
    Email Address:
    prisionersaid@hotmail.com
    Website Address:
    www.prisonersaid.org/

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yeah, that's the POP. They are almost always on/in/near cheap real estate. They can even exist in street-side cabinets. I used to co-lo (rent rack space) in a data center near that hood.

Google for location services and you'll find sites that attempt to find you. The will be off by miles, typically, or cities in others. For instance, I am sometimes 'located' in Baltimore. The reason: intralata rules means that many SoMD internet connections in Maryland terminate in Baltimore instead of DC or NoVA.

It's complicated.

Back to guns and Gansler.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads