MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Interesting ..

Last edited:

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Yesterday I went out of Ocean City for marlin. This was my first time deep sea fishing. 6 of us on the boat as the fishermen. I went as a guest of my son who was invited as a perk through his employment.

We got skunked. 2 hits on the bait but neither fish was hooked. Interesting experience but being on the water from 5am until 6:30 pm and never touching a rod not really my thing. I would prefer drifting for flounder any day.

Can't complain too much as the trip was free.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Yesterday I went out of Ocean City for marlin. This was my first time deep sea fishing. 6 of us on the boat as the fishermen. I went as a guest of my son who was invited as a perk through his employment.

We got skunked. 2 hits on the bait but neither fish was hooked. Interesting experience but being on the water from 5am until 6:30 pm and never touching a rod not really my thing. I would prefer drifting for flounder any day.

Can't complain too much as the trip was free.

That, my friend, is why they call it fishing. I was a first mate and have been out there for 12-13 hour days many times without bringing a marlin on the boat. A few tuna or mahi-mahi will brighten your day though.

Of course, I see the other side of the story that if you are paying for it, it kind of makes you think it isn't worth it. My captain has won close to a million dollars over the years in tournaments. It is kind of like hitting the lottery when it comes to landing a billfish. That's what keeps it special though...

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Sunday morning I got out for a little bit with one of my dogs on the boat. The fish weren't really biting all the well but still nice to get out.

Attachments

• 0903170820.jpg
      0903170820.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 316
    • 0903170910b.jpg
      0903170910b.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 317

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    This is my first season doing any fishing besides bottom rigs off the pier for perch. I've been doing a lot of jigging around Thomas Point LH and chasing the birds around from the bay bridge to Sharpes Island LH. This is my biggest rock at 23inches. Any one want to offer some jigging tips or locations I should could try.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpg
      IMG_1431.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 243

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    This is my first season doing any fishing besides bottom rigs off the pier for perch. I've been doing a lot of jigging around Thomas Point LH and chasing the birds around from the bay bridge to Sharpes Island LH. This is my biggest rock at 23inches. Any one want to offer some jigging tips or locations I should could try.

Nice fish! I was out doing the same on Sunday between Tolly Point and Thomas Point, we caught a dozen shorts (rockfish 12-19') and a nice 24' Spanish Mackerel. This is my 2nd season fishing the bay so I can't offer any expertise on where, when and how as it seems to change so quickly. I get out 2-4 times a month and have found the emailed fishing reports from Fishtalkmag.com to be most helpful and always try to time my trips around a moving tide.

Try this for some good how to tips: http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/category/articles/

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Nice fish. Congrats. You sound like you may be doing the right thing. There are a lot of small fish out there and you will likely find that you will catch 15-20 small ones before a keeper though the bigger ones will be back as we enter the fall.

If you are not all ready, try using a 1/2 to 1 oz jig head with 6" shad on them. Try white, chartreuse and various colors till you see what they like. If you are in the birds try some top water lures for some neat strikes as the fish jump. Try some Gulp baits as well. The rock seem to love them. Big bait, big fish (if the big ones are around). If you have a fish finder search for structure. Slack tides lack fish...usually.

When jigging, I find the most luck when I let the lure drop to the bottom, let it sit for a few seconds and then start with a few sharp tugs with a slack line. That way it doesn't move the lure that far, but the action on the lure is noticeable. Settle it and then repeat as you bring the line in.

Since you aren't far away, try the top of love point and look for the drop off from 7-24 feet.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    Nice fish. Congrats. You sound like you may be doing the right thing. There are a lot of small fish out there and you will likely find that you will catch 15-20 small ones before a keeper though the bigger ones will be back as we enter the fall.

If you are not all ready, try using a 1/2 to 1 oz jig head with 6" shad on them. Try white, chartreuse and various colors till you see what they like. If you are in the birds try some top water lures for some neat strikes as the fish jump. Try some Gulp baits as well. The rock seem to love them. Big bait, big fish (if the big ones are around). If you have a fish finder search for structure. Slack tides lack fish...usually.

When jigging, I find the most luck when I let the lure drop to the bottom, let it sit for a few seconds and then start with a few sharp tugs with a slack line. That way it doesn't move the lure that far, but the action on the lure is noticeable. Settle it and then repeat as you bring the line in.

Since you aren't far away, try the top of love point and look for the drop off from 7-24 feet.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't heard of Love Point but I'll be looking into it. I've had most of my luck with a silver and blue plastic on a 1/2oz white jig head. I have not tried any top water, deff something I'll think about next time I get on some birds.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Decent day out on a charter drifting eels. One of the coolest things Ive seen happened to me. Hooked one and as I was reeling it in, had another grab the eel, almost got both into the net.
    545fa1fda0c5da355b33b8eb52bb2cf3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So my bastard brother-in-law just came over to borrow one of my fishing rods. He got invited on a 5 day bass trip to Arkansas.:mad54:

We actually like each other, he's just a bastard for going fishing without me while using MY rod :lol2:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    image.jpg
    Saturday afternoon trip with member here - Sealion. Lot of action in the evenings right now.
    Sealion, thanks for fishing with us! It was a pleasure having your group onboard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom