• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    The wife actually sanctioned a purchase for my birthday so I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on my first 10mm, a gen 3 Glock 20sf and wanted to hear from the gurus here on ammo suggestions, love/horror stories and the like. I've always wanted a 10mm and am finally able to add one to my meager stable of firearms. Convince me that I have done a good thing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I use Remington 180 grain fmj for practice and keep Winchester Silvertips and Hornady JHP for more serious social work. Winchester tends to load their Silvertips pretty hot, regardless of caliber, so they could be a bit intense.

You are going to love the 10mm round.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Ohh, you did a very good thing.

The fun in the 10mm is it's versatility. You can shoot the target loads like CCI, Remington, S&B, Sig, or Prvi. And switch to the hotter loads from Double tap, Underwood, Corbon.

I usually practice with Rem or Sig. Self defense ammo is Corbon 135gr jhp, but I am eyeing the Underwood offerings.

Enjoy your 10mm!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    just received from Underwood. Kinda late-sorry

Add in-stock products to your cart.

Click link at the top of the page "Click here to enter your code"

Enter the promo code "SOLID" into the box titled
    "Coupon Code" on the Shopping Cart page.

Click "Apply Coupon"

Discount is immediately applied.

Offer valid beginning 2:00 p.m. on October 20, 2017 through October 22, 2017 at Midnight (CST)

Offer Not valid with any other offer or discount

SHOP NOW

Underwood Ammo | 5730 Bottom Rd, Sparta, IL 62286

Sent by sales@underwoodammo.com

Attachments

• underwood.jpg
      underwood.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 214

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You did a good thing.

You probably already know, but here's 10mm for dummies :

10mm ammo comes in three performance tiers, that can almost be considered three different cals.

Bottom tier, usually generic practice ammo , essentially replicates.40s&w .

Middle tier - Defined by W-W Silvertip. I know there are lots of similar, but ST came first, and established the parameters . And a great parameter, basically similar to several well regarded big bore revolver ctgs . tl/dr is " power enough for bambi, while still in ( upper end of ) control for defensive.

Upper tier - Boutique mfgs, and manly man handloads . Hot. Ranging from hot , to really hot , to " I've stopped reporting, because nobody believes it, and I not inclined to argue any more " .

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    You guys are the best. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll spend this week purchasing an assortment of flavors so I can be range ready when it finally comes home.

P.S. Gym Ratz is my new preferred FFL. Top notch experience with John and family.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've always used blazer aluminum for range fun, no issues at all though it's not as cheap as it used to be.

though most seem to love it, haven't had great luck with underwood, had to send some back, primers weren't igniting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The primary reason for a Lone Wolf or other aftermarket bbl would be for conventional rifling to use lead bullets secondary would be tighter chamber, for potentially improved accuracy, potentially slightly higher vel, and for better case support.

Biggfoot's take - If I'm changing bbl or cal, I'll go aftermarket . For the OP , he's starting with a G20, which has a decent length bbl already, unless he is looking for a 6in specifically for Md's arbitrary hunting regs . He *probably* won't have chamber support issues until reaching the really hot loads in excess of Silvertip equivalents.

Jan 25, 2017
    The wife actually sanctioned a purchase for my birthday so I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on my first 10mm, a gen 3 Glock 20sf and wanted to hear from the gurus here on ammo suggestions, love/horror stories and the like. I've always wanted a 10mm and am finally able to add one to my meager stable of firearms. Convince me that I have done a good thing

10mm is great if you can find manufacturers that don't load the round light.

Underwood Ammo and Leheigh Defense are two good companies that I know of that have good reputations for maximizing the potential of a 10mm round.

If you're using it for home defense/self defense, I would practice with the round that you will carry/utilize. If it's a range toy, then most manufacturers are fine with regard to price.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Underwood has an ammo sale from today until midnight on Sunday. 10% off storewide on in stock items.

Coupon code: SAVE10

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Got lots of great info here guys! With my crazy work schedule I haven't been able to do my homework and my purchase gets out of lockup tomorrow. I grabbed some inexpensive ammo from Big Dogs when I purchased my standard cap mags. I'll see what's available at Gym Ratz

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Underwood for full power, Freedom munitions for bulk practice, or roll your own and do what you want. 10mm is a gateway drug to some awesome cult auto calibers, 38super, 45 super, 460 rowland, 9x25dillon etc..

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :party29:

10mm is the caliber the govt could not handle. The govt cant handle freedom, baby!

For target practice- Armscor or PPU. This tends to be on the lighter power side, lighter on the wallet, and runs clean. Accurate in all my 10mm. Wont kill your wrist if you empty 4 boxes.

for self defense- Hornday Critical Duty or Defense in 10mm is excellent, and recoil is manageable. its a medium power 10mm.

Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap are good if you want to feel the full power of the dark side. Good for hunting or serious self defense. If you run this consider a heavier recoil spring. I should also mention that a heavy load in a shorter barrel results in mostly flash. Which is extremely cool, but not hugely useful in a SHTF scenario. This is good stuff maybe in a 6" barrel but I question its usefulness in a 4" barrel.

Sellier & Bellot also make good ammo and recently this has sold at a good price point. Its medium power, good quality, and a decent price.

Other people love Freedom Munitions. I ran it once and found lots of brass flakes in my gun. I dont buy this any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom