• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I picked up a box of 500 148 grain wadcutters at work for $20, figuring I could put together some target ammo and not use all the other projectiles I had for paper punching. Last weekend, I also picked up some H110 powder so I could make some true .357 Magnum loads after my first attempt were no more than long .38 Special loads.

Fast forward to today when I could get to the range to try some. The wadcutters were predictably accurate. 148 grain wadcutter over 3 grains of Bullseye. Soft shooting and dead center every time. Counted this as a success. I figure I'll put together a whole bunch more and keep them around for range ammo in the 586.

The .357 Magnum loads were going into unknown territory for me. I had heard that H110 was a tough powder to use and could cause squibs if you used a hair too little and a kaboom if you used a little too much. I settled on 16.2 grains of H110 under a round nose Frontier 158 grain bullet with CCI magnum primers.

They were stout. Definitely not a lightweight round like my first magnums, but definitely a full house magnum load. Once I got the feel for them, I was keeping all the rounds within a two inch group from about 25 yards. Not spectacular, considering the talent here on the forum, but definitely good enough for hitting a bad guy if need be.

My wife is used to taking videos and pics of me for Facebook and neglected to get a shot of the target. You just have to take my word on the accuracy.....or consider it a fish tale. :D

She did get one mediocre shot of this old man shooting the .357 Magnum loads.

At the end of the day, it looks like, in addition to my tried and true 158 grain .38 Special load, I have a nice target load and a kick-ass magnum load to boot.

22728925_10159435475180585_5364061577104917565_n.jpg

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    A two inch group at 25 yards is serious shooting. I can't do that well at half the distance. Nice job!

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I shoot a very similar load with H110 behind 158 gr SWCs. Very good load that isn't rediculous on your hands. I too wish that I could reliably put shots into a 2" group at 25 yards!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I shoot a very similar load with H110 behind 158 gr SWCs. Very good load that isn't rediculous on your hands. I too wish that I could reliably put shots into a 2" group at 25 yards!

I was doing great until I realized I was shooting well.....after that....well, I was lucky to get a five inch group.

As long as I am not thinking about it too much, I can do well. The moment I notice I am doing well, it all goes to crap. :lol2:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Joe, IF you want to try something "in between" your H-110 loads and the Bullseye loads, here's what I have fed my S&W mdl 19-4, for MANY years.

Hornady 158 gr JHP (or hardcast 158 gr)
    Federal or Winchester .357 magnum cases.
    Alliant (formerly Hercules) Unique powder. 7.2 grains.
    CCI or Winchester SP primer. (Standard small pistol)

Very mild crimp is all that's needed.

This load is VERY accurate out of my 19-4.
    This old revolver has over 16,000 rounds through it, now, and is my favorite revolver.

This load is NOT "hot".

It's a little 'warmer' than .38 Special loads, but, in .357 cases.

Many years ago, I loaded some .38 Special lead loads, and had a hard time getting the lead out of the chambers and barrel.
    Using an oversize bore brush in a cordless drill was the way I got the lead out.

I don't use .38 Special cases at all, now, in that revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom