• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darth_libra

Jul 23, 2020
    California, MD
    Hello all,

I am looking for some legal advice in reference to background checks and verifying I can pass it before I shell out a bunch of money for firearms. I understand that many manufacturers and retailers will not accept returns or refunds if a background check is failed. I have something in my past that I want to verify has been expunged per court order.

For privacy's sake, I will not discuss my case in the forum, so please PM me with your advice, but feel free to reply if you know of lawyers who may be able to help here in St' Mary's County. Thanks again everyone.

James

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Simple.
    Go to your local Walmart and buy one of the $99 Savage 22lr rifles. WM will do the NICS check on you before you can leave the store with the rifle.
    If you pass the NICS, you will likely pass the other checks as well.
    I know you may not want to spend the extra $99, but look at the bright side:

1) you'll know you can order some new toys.
    2) You'll have an extra gun in the house.
    3) You might be VERY surprised at how accurate that little Savage can be. I was.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hello all,

For privacy's sake, I will not discuss my case in the forum, so please PM me with your advice, but feel free to reply if you know of lawyers who may be able to help here in St' Mary's County. Thanks again everyone.

James

You don't usually see this kind of common sense from newbies.

Simple.
    Go to your local Walmart and buy one of the $99 Savage 22lr rifles. WM will do the NICS check on you before you can leave the store with the rifle.

3) You might be VERY surprised at how accurate that little Savage can be. I was.

4) It's cheaper than a lawyer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Simple.

That is only good for rifles and shotguns, if he is looking to get an HQL for a handgun, then the background check includes Maryland specific searches, that for some dumbass reason, Maryland does not upload to NICS.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a mechanism in place by which a person could run an NICS on one's self. Kinda like a Checking your credit...

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a mechanism in place by which a person could run an NICS on one's self. Kinda like a Checking your credit...

You can't trust common peasants with that kind of power...

:omg:

darth_libra

Jul 23, 2020
    California, MD
    So just to update everyone, I managed to get an Identity History report run through the FBI and it revealed that my fingerprints do not have any prior arrest data at the FBI. I am thinking I am good to go to pass the NCIC background check, or am I wrong?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So just to update everyone, I managed to get an Identity History report run through the FBI and it revealed that my fingerprints do not have any prior arrest data at the FBI. I am thinking I am good to go to pass the NCIC background check, or am I wrong?

I know you don't want to discuss the details (understandable), but can you divulge whether or not your previous misadventure(s) was/were in Maryland? As mentioned above, Maryland - say, when you're trying to run an HQL or 77R - can look into its own secret Pandora's Box of sin data that the FBI doesn't know or care about.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Can you honestly answer the questions on the application?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My "misadventures" (LOL, I love that term!) were in Kentucky on an Army base.

If it ends in anything other than a DD, you should be good to go, since military indiscretions, do not show up in the federal civilian side.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If it ends in anything other than a DD, you should be good to go, since military indiscretions, do not show up in the federal civilian side.

Wasn't something passed within the past few years to tighten that up?

IIRC it was in response to a shooter who had a DD or other-than-honorable but was able to pass a background check.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

IIRC it was in response to a shooter who had a DD or other-than-honorable but was able to pass a background check.

Disqualifying items are supposed to be reported to NICS. That was the issue with the church shooter in TX. He had a Disqualifier that wasn't properly reported. They did "fix" that after.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Not at the federal level, and if you have a DD you are already prohibited at the federal level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom