Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 10th, 2019, 01:39 PM #2231
"Quack Pot Call Honker"

"Quack Pot Call Honker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
What are your goals as far as size/weight? Do you want something that can be transported by vehicle? Something yo can schlep up your back up a mountain?
Good question, and I didn't even address that.

Vehicle transported, not ManPack. If I were going backpackable, this would be easily addressed w/ an HT / QRP setup. I'm not ready for that yet.

Size: Something in a decent sized breadbox. Think good pelican dry case to hold HF radio, and a dedicated 2m/70cm, with power supply, and maybe an external speaker for HF, and a tuner. Assume whatever power the dedicated V/UHF radio puts out and the same for the HF radio.

Would like something that I could also potentially comm port to a computer for digital modes / tuning / software / etc.

It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, who keep on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men-SAMUEL ADAMS, 1776
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fightinbluhen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 01:47 PM #2232
"Quack Pot Call Honker"

"Quack Pot Call Honker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
I have a good FJ Cruiser-driving friend here in Colorado who enjoys getting as high as he can in the mountains, setting up a camp, and working contests with his solar powered mobile shack each weekend. He uses a slingshot to put a dipole up in the top of the two tallest pine trees he can find and gets great results.

You mountain folk sure do know how to live.

It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, who keep on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men-SAMUEL ADAMS, 1776
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fightinbluhen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 02:33 PM #2233
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightinbluhen51 View Post
Good question, and I didn't even address that.

Vehicle transported, not ManPack. If I were going backpackable, this would be easily addressed w/ an HT / QRP setup. I'm not ready for that yet.

Size: Something in a decent sized breadbox. Think good pelican dry case to hold HF radio, and a dedicated 2m/70cm, with power supply, and maybe an external speaker for HF, and a tuner. Assume whatever power the dedicated V/UHF radio puts out and the same for the HF radio.

Would like something that I could also potentially comm port to a computer for digital modes / tuning / software / etc.
A lot of people seem to use these or something like them for the case:

https://gatorcases.com/pro-series-ro...ed-rack-cases/

Since they open front and back you can run power, antenna, etc. into the rear without drilling holes.

If you plan on ever going QRP you might consider something like the KX3. It can do 100W with an external amp (or of coarse more with more amp but to make it equal to a regular HF rig you can get the vendor amp or a knock off of it) and is still not much larger in scale than a shack-in-a-box. It has limited VHF/UHF capability. ICOM seems to have just come out with a competing rig but I haven't read the specs.

One club seems to swear by the Yaesu 857D for their shack-in-a-box. It will do HF,VHF/UHF all mode but it's a mobile rig so the controls are a bit on the cramped side.

The Kenwood 2000 is an older shack-in-a-box still in production. It's a heavy so it's not the greatest for field work but will do HF, VHF/UHF all mode and has dual receive so you can do satellite work if you want to without buying a second radio.

There is also the ICOM 9100 that is HF, UHF/VHF and dual receive. Many of these are being sold used now by people who are looking to buy ICOM 9700s and ICOM 7300/7610.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM #2234
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
I made my first overseas contact last night. Guy in Belgium. He looked up my call sign and came answered back with my first name which I thought was unusual, but this is still new to me.

When I asked him does he always look up a contacts call sign he replied yes and he logs every contact. I guess that didnt seem that unusual after all.

The unusual part is that he said that he is required by law to log ALL contacts. Is that just a typical burdensome EU requirement or is it common in other parts of the world? Also what purpose does it serve?
It's common in some countries. We used to have to do it here too until the 70's sometime.

What purpose does it serve? In less free countries, way of checking up on you.
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:05 PM #2235
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
This is my problem now too. Not the XYL problem, but where I am going to operate HF is temporary, maybe a year until I get my proper shack set up. Until them I really don't want to go crazy on electric, grounding and drilling holes through the walls.

I really enjoyed a few weeks ago operating from my porch. My problem there was setting up the HF antenna. I need a couple portable masts to string 130 foot wire.
If you get a wire antenna that can be configured as an inverted-vee you'll only need one support. The ends (with rope attached so the conductors only come within 8' of the ground) slope down and are tied to stakes, or existing structures, trees, etc.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:40 PM #2236

I got my homemade J-Pole moved up into my attic and connected with some Low Loss AX400 cable. Im surprised that Im getting 1.5 SWR with just a few scrap sections of 1/2 copper pipe.

Im also now hitting several repeaters I couldnt pick up with the previous SMA Coax.

K3PZN Westminster 20mi
N3KZS In Manchester 25mi
K3ERM in Frederick 34mi
K3VOA in DC 29mi (Lots of static)

Im really thinking about getting a good quality antenna to mount on my chimney but its at least 40 above my deck. Any idea who to hire to install an antenna in Columbia. I just dont have the balls to climb up on my roof anymore.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:29 PM #2237

Thanks for the responses regarding the through the glass antenna. I have read that as long as the tint is not metallic it should work. There is a code and it should be on the glass to indicate if it is passivated, i.e. "solar-cool", "solar-coat" or "instal-clear". I believe that code is on my windshield, but not on the back window, so theoretically it should work. How well it will work I have no idea.

I don't want to run a fender mount, and while I do have access through the firewall I don't want to have to run the coax through the it then the engine compartment, then under the vehicle to the rear where I plan on mounting the antenna. Although Im realizing that might be the best option if the through the glass thing doest work. Trying to not have to use an HT while in the truck.

Anyway, thanks for the responses and I may give it a shot.

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:02 PM #2238
Beer Czar

Beer Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
If you get a wire antenna that can be configured as an inverted-vee you'll only need one support. The ends (with rope attached so the conductors only come within 8' of the ground) slope down and are tied to stakes, or existing structures, trees, etc.
Thanks, I'll give this a try.

edited to add:

actually it's an EFHW.

I'm not sure if I could do it as an inverted V. I have the antenna book from the ARRL, so I need to go back and read it.

It's a myantennas.com if that matters.
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:19 PM #2239

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
Thanks, I'll give this a try.

edited to add:

actually it's an EFHW.

I'm not sure if I could do it as an inverted V. I have the antenna book from the ARRL, so I need to go back and read it.

It's a myantennas.com if that matters.
I have an EndFed EFHW 10-80 and often run it as an inverted V, topper and just strung up inside tree limbs about 12-15' off the ground. They are very forgiving antennas. I use that and a quad band linked (sometimes called serial) dipole now (20, 30, 40, 80m) for my EmComm gear with most setup for NVIS work. I use them 12-15x a year when deploying, camping, exercises, drills, etc. I have a front mounted 2" receiver on my F350 Super Duty. In it is a harbor freight folding storage rack. On it is mounted three mast mounts. Two with just PVC pipe and one is a rotating mast holder made from a trailer rotating tongue jack. These are, most of the time, my mounting point for my HF antennas and my UHF/VHF antennas as well.
If folks are interested in learning about EmComm I recommended joining a local ARES group as that is their bread and butter.

Kazan182 / Steven, KC3DSO
PG-ARES, AEC - Operations
Maryland DC Section Assistant Section Emergency Coordinator
kazan182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 09:57 AM #2240
Beer Czar

Beer Czar

VHF contest this weekend

http://www.arrl.org/september-vhf

Ill be operating from qth if its raining tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland