M&P9 Disassembly Lever Wire Missing - Safe to Shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    If I started a new thread here unnecsessarily, I apologize, I tried searching around a bit.

I put an Apex Forward Set Sear kit in to an M&P9 and lost the disassembly lever retaining wire while reassembling. I called S&W and they graciously decided to send me a new one for free, but it's been about a week and I'm itching to shoot the handgun. Looking at the design with the pistol assembled, it doesn't look like the lever could possibly fly out and cause the gun to fire out of battery or something, but I'm not sure if it's 100% safe. Any ideas?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    im pretty sure that wire just keeps the takedown lever held in the proper position. the lever itself wont be able to turn the full 90 degrees unless its in the notch in the slide. that being said, it could possible damage your slide if it tried turning while shooting. im no expert by any means though

p.s. you will love the apex trigger kit. that is a must do to a m&p

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    Ah, well, just because I'm impatient I guess. They said it'd be a week two weeks ago. I'm starting to think they forgot me!

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I had the exact same thing happen last year when I installed an Apex trigger, and actually forgot about it until I read your post. I have put over 1k rds through it without the retaining wire, without issue. It is safe to fire it without the wire, but now that am I thinking about it, I'll order one and install it.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Scratching your "itch" would require fingers that you might not have after shooting a gun that is not as it should be. Missing that part might not affect anything, but why take chance. BTW, it usually takes at least 3-4 weeks to get an in stock part from S&W, freebie or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom