• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ4ME

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 12, 2014
    I have a groundhog that took up residence under my shed.

I live in Baltimore county, can I shoot it with a .22 or bow? I called the Maryland Wildlife, they said I don't need permit to trap. I forget to ask if I could just shoot it.

I can't seem to find any info online about shooting nuisance wildlife in Baltimore county.

if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I have a groundhog that took up residence under my shed.

I live in Baltimore county, can I shoot it with a .22 or bow? I called the Maryland Wildlife, they said I don't need permit to trap. I forget to ask if I could just shoot it.

I can't seem to find any info online about shooting nuisance wildlife in Baltimore county.

if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

Your shooting, so most firearm regs apply. You should be ok IF your neighbors are far enough away. I'd use CCI Quiet 22lr. or .117 break action air rifle.

CZ4ME

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 12, 2014
    Your shooting, so most firearm regs apply. You should be ok IF your neighbors are far enough away. I'd use CCI Quiet 22lr. or .117 break action air rifle.

Thank you for your reply.

I have about 300Ft between the back of my house and the neighbors, with trees and various shrubbery between. I'll have to check to see if I have an CCI Quiet, I do have a suppressor though, that I could employ.

May try with a bow first never hit anything that can move before might be fun to see how I do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I have about 300Ft between the back of my house and the neighbors, with trees and various shrubbery between. I'll have to check to see if I have an CCI Quiet, I do have a suppressor though, that I could employ.

May try with a bow first never hit anything that can move before might be fun to see how I do.

Try the bow. I've taken several with a bow. Aim small, miss small...

Attachments

• untitledrats.jpg
      untitledrats.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 246

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

If a can is available, then use anything. They are a rodent, so nothing is really holding you back from aerating it. Outrider has skewered a few.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I know it was asked about needing a license for this, but I'm just having a hard time accepting that something in Maryland could be so un-regulated. Is it really like killing a mouse? Just S and S? (the existence of this thread tells me the third "S" is unnecessary :innocent0)

1) No permit, license, hunter's safety, orange or anything required?
    2) Shotgun, rifle, pistol and any kind of ammo, as long as it's 150 yds from occupied dwelling (or with written permission), roads and not across property lines?
    3) Crossbow would remove the distance from dwelling restriction?
    4) Ok to shoot from vehicle (tractor...obviously not on the road)?
    5) Spotlight after dark?
    6) Over bait?

Obviously, I'm not looking for sportsmanship or the thrill of the hunt or even braggin' rights. I am trying to eliminate leg breaking holes in the horse fields.

Thanks

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I know it was asked about needing a license for this, but I'm just having a hard time accepting that something in Maryland could be so un-regulated. Is it really like killing a mouse? Just S and S? (the existence of this thread tells me the third "S" is unnecessary :innocent0)

2) Shotgun, rifle, pistol and any kind of ammo, as long as it's 150 yds from occupied dwelling (or with written permission), roads and not across property lines?
    5) Spotlight after dark?
    6) Over bait?

Obviously, I'm not looking for sportsmanship or the thrill of the hunt or even braggin' rights. I am trying to eliminate leg breaking holes in the horse fields.

Thanks

I believe that some blaze orange is required. I've always had a hunting license, so I'm always covered with it. I don't know if it is a requirement. All weapons are allowed. You could always call DNR. If you are on your own land, you would not need a HL. Outside of that, you would. It's not very clear on the DNR site. But, as you've mentioned, you are hunting.

5) Spotlight after dark?
    6) Over bait?

Thanks

I feel like DNR would really not like spotlighting, but not sure.

Interesting point though, years ago when I took my hunter safety course(16 years actually.. :shocking: just realized that) the DNR officer that was there said a fur stamp was required for groundhogs, but he looked and sounded like Chief Wiggum so I have this feeling he had no idea what he was talking about.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

Interesting point though, years ago when I took my hunter safety course(16 years actually.. :shocking: just realized that) the DNR officer that was there said a fur stamp was required for groundhogs, but he looked and sounded like Chief Wiggum so I have this feeling he had no idea what he was talking about.

No " fur bearers" permit needed. They are a rodent. They have no value. Spot lighting would not work, they are not nocturnal, normally.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

No " fur bearers" permit needed. They are a rodent. They have no value. Spot lighting would not work, they are not nocturnal, normally.

I've heard conflicting reports about the fur bearers permit elsewhere too :rolleyes:

I rent a house on this farm, so it's not my property. The owner has given a green light to groundhog removal by any means necessary. I'm not a hunter, but I watch a lot of North Woods Law, and such:D The odds of DNR checking on me are astronomically non existent...but, I'm a law abiding citizen :shrug: I want to follow the rules regardless of whether anybody's watching.

Ideally, I'd love to keep a shotgun on the tractor with me when I'm mowing for any opportunities that present themselves...maybe put out some fruit in safe shoot zones along my way to and from whichever field I'm mowing in to encourage opportunities.

I tossed the spotlighting thing out there because sometimes I do mow after dark. I'm sure headlights count as "spotlights," and I just want to have my ducks in a row when officer friendly mysteriously shows up. It's going to be hard enough convincing him I'm after groundhogs and not deer anyway...but, if it comes to that, the owner should vouch for what I'm doing.

For the most part, I'm remote enough that S.S.S. would work fine (although I'm kinda blowing the last S by running my gab on here :blah:), but...:shrug: I just don't want to do something that I know is wrong.:innocent6:

Also...I haven't been able to shake the crossbow idea out of my head. I don't have one yet, and, even if it didn't work out to be something useful in our groundhog management strategy...I don't have one yet...:innocent0. Any thoughts on a good crossbow to have for the sake of having one...that would also be good from groundhogs if applicable?:D I like the narrow width of the Ravin, but $:eek:$

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    no permits needed for ground hogs or nutria. Not a hunting permit and not a fur bearer permit. For ground hogs you need to wear orange though, including on your own property. I beleive the same with nutria.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If a neighbor calls the PoPo on you, they'll probably not have any idea what you need. DNR might not know either. I've never had them called on me. The spotlighting thing is not a good idea. S.canning it is a smart choice.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If a neighbor calls the PoPo on you, they'll probably not have any idea what you need. DNR might not know either. I've never had them called on me. The spotlighting thing is not a good idea. S.canning it is a smart choice.

The neighbors would never see me...only satellites and aircraft would. I did some searching and found an old MDS thread with a beautiful (albeit outdated) quotation of regulations referring to them as "unprotected mammals." That clue led me, eventually, to an up to date version:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping/

Here's a TL/DR screenshot of the important parts:

groundhog unprotected.jpg

(I bet the ads on the right are because I had MDS in the browser too :D)

So basically, it looks like I just need orange and daylight. Reading the other stuff, I probably should be off of and not touching the tractor...just to CYA. That's good news for the horses and me...the ground hogs, not so much. :shrug:

This was the second of two yesterday.

Nothing like celebrating the 4th by popping the cherries of my Colt SBR with Phantom LT can.

For those interested, I tried out the new Hornady BLACK ammo that's "meant for" suppressed/SBRs, Interlock HD SBR. No difference in POI compared to a different ammo I zeroed the rifle with. One thing I did notice is the sound level was definitely reduced as well as the gas blowback in my face was not even close to what it is with other ammos.
    4380cd685e2460f7f16a6e99619c29d6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom