Appleseed Finally Comes To Maryland X 3!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Schwabe...That's exactly what I did, only with a large galvanized landscaping nail, trimmed to fit.... Makes a BIG difference, not only in flex, but in weight (in a good way)...... BeSwift

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    ... if you did it then I should be good to go, can't wait. Was only able to bore sight the gun. Have really no chance to actually shoot 25 yrds anywhere right now, only 50 ft indoor range. I hope it will be fine.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    It is free floating. The problem is the tube is not very rigid and it's puling the front site along with it. The barrel is not moving or being touched. All the sudden when I started using the sling my groups shifted up and to the right a few inches at 25 yards. I didn't put 2&2 together till I got home and played with it Sunday.

That's why the front sight is typically attached directly to the barrel (or at least it is on the standard M16/M4 design). The M&P 15-22 you got doesn't have a fixed front sight base?

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    That's why the front sight is typically attached directly to the barrel (or at least it is on the standard M16/M4 design). The M&P 15-22 you got doesn't have a fixed front sight base?

No, it's a flip up site mounted to the top of the handrail. I have the MOE version that doesn't have a FSB...

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Well if it doesn't have a fixed front sight then the rifle is definitely more intended for use with a red dot sight or scope versus traditional iron sights. And it should do fine with iron sights off a rest as well, it's just the combination of sling and iron sights that's a no go.

Actually, now that I'm looking at the S&W site, I don't see a single M&P 15-22 that actually does have a FSB. That's too bad. And it's probably not worth going to a gunsmith to get one installed. I just spent about 5 minutes googling the issue and I'm not really finding any other AR-style .22 LR rifle or dedicated upper that comes with a float tube and an FSB either. Maybe my google-fu is failing me, or is this really such an under-served market? The closest I could find was this, which has a barrel-mounted rail segment for attaching a front sight. Now if its handguard is interchangeable with normal AR-15 rail systems, then you could replace it with a fully free-floated rail system and then get everything that you wanted.

Damn, though, this stuff isn't cheap.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yea a $530 upper, or a complete rifle for a few buck less..... I think it was really designed for an optic, either that or they just didn't put much thought into people using slings with irons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom