• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    I found this light used for $25. It fits on my XD, but I really wanted it for my Mossberg. I bought a piece of rail for $4 at Dicks. I milled the fore grip so the light would fit up nice and tight. I sunk it in enough so the light gets snug against the fore grip and doesn't rattle. I drilled 2 small holes and used some coarse screws, but there wasn't much meat left. Then I used epoxy to make it nice and secure. So I'm about $320 ahead of the game.
    I don't think it looks too ghetto, and for the cost, i don't care.
    Sorry some pics suck.
    DSC03143.jpg

DSC03144.jpg

DSC03141.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Doesn't look bad at all. And you can't beat the price!

Exactly....especially for a functional piece of equipment that you'll likely never have to use under duress.

Do us a favor and torture test that sumbitch......bang the crap out of it, shoot it a lot and run the light a lot....see how it holds up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as Spot: I'd give that tac-light a work-out before you depend on it. I've heard stories about cheap lights falling to pieces when shot on a gun with real recoil.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I love home gunsmithing. The only thing I see that could effect you is, the forend of the shotgun gets constantly racked, and harshly at that. This would apply alot of directional force in both forward and rearward directions on a constant basis. This could allow the wieght of the light to inch out your screws a little bit one at a time. If it starts to come loose, that is why. But you did use epoxy, so that should hold up very well. If it ever does come off though, You could get a clamp-on barrel mount for about 8.00 off of ebay. Great job though, beats the hell out of paying surefire thier 280.00 for a forend without a light.

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    Thanks Guys.
    I will take this out and shoot 100 rounds with it and after that it may never get used. If it does it will be for no more than the 8 shots that are in the gun. By that time, every light in the neighborhood will be on. If I still need a light after that, something went terribly wrong.
    Now I need to find some low light training.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    looks good. I wouldn't rely on it. You get what you pay for.

Not trying to be a downer but I would want 100% reliability with a backup to boot

-Zach

true, but plenty of 5 million dollar planes have been shot down by 500 dollar anti-aircraft guns. The AK is one of the cheapest mass produced guns in the world, yet it has taken more american lives than any other rifle. I have talked to vietnam vets who say that they have seen AK's with stolen starlight scopes TAPED on to them. I myself once used hoseclamps to attatch a picatinney rail to the bottom of my 240 so I could mount a gangster grip. And it held for the whole tour. Inexpensive does not always mean crap. Don't let the rich-ass Firearm accessory companies fool you with thier propaganda.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    true, but plenty of 5 million dollar planes have been shot down by 500 dollar anti-aircraft guns. The AK is one of the cheapest mass produced guns in the world, yet it has taken more american lives than any other rifle. I have talked to vietnam vets who say that they have seen AK's with stolen starlight scopes TAPED on to them. I myself once used hoseclamps to attatch a picatinney rail to the bottom of my 240 so I could mount a gangster grip. And it held for the whole tour. Inexpensive does not always mean crap. Don't let the rich-ass Firearm accessory companies fool you with thier propaganda.

Shhhhhh....if it isn't at least $150 and made specifically for you gun, it won't work :innocent0:innocent0

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I dont mind giving companies extra money for a good product, especially if they are American companies. The products I use for self defense I do a lot of research on, to make sure they are proven reliable. There are certain things you shouldn't buy cheap. But you will do as you will do, and the beauty is you have the option to buy what you want (for now):)

-Z

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    a 20.00 ATI forend with an 38.00 tac/light barrel clamp works just as well as a 250.00 surefire forend that comes without thier 400 flashlight. I have found that an aluminum body, single powerful LED light is just as good as a 500.00 surefire. Sure, the surefire comes with the cool IR cover, and you can heat ramen noodles with the beam, but it burns through bulbs and batteries like nothing else. LEDs use less batteries, are still bright enough to blind, and if they are aluminum bodied, very strong. FYI, I have a surefire on my AK, they are very good lights, but not worth the price IMHO. Use the extra money to practice with live ammo. Breaching doors is fun!!

Maverick 88 with LED tac light
    lj018.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom