• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    WAAAAAAYY NOOB SHOTGUN QUESTION HERE!!!!
    kk i just put a 500 on layaway and i have been trying to figure it out but what does a choke do?
    please don't shoot/ban me for not knowing lol i don't know which would be worse

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Choke determines the "size" of the pattern. Think of it as a funnel, or rather a narrowing (choking) at the end of the barrel. The range goes from Cylinder to Full Choke, with Full being the most constritcted. More constricted, the shot stays together longer for a tighter pattern of pellets, less contricted, wider pattern from the very start.

pitjeep

R.I.P.
    Jun 6, 2008
    pittsville
    Yeah well, plastic buildup can only build up so much. I've shot patterns with clean bbls vs very dirty bbls and there is virtually no difference in patterns.

The most important reason to clean choke tubes has nothing to do with patterns. When the gun goes bang, hot gases and powder & plastic residue can migrate between the choke and the inside of the bbl wall and end up virtually epoxying the choke tube into the bbl. Left unchecked with some guns and it'll cost you a new choke tube plus $50 to get the old one removed. It all depends on the size of the gap between the seat of the tube and the bbl shoulder upon which it seats as to how much crud gets in there and how often you need to pull the tube and clean it.

i shoot alot of turkey shoots almost every weekend during the year.i can tell a big diffrence in my pattrens with a choke or barrel being clean or dirty.all chokes are not created equal. some have lines some have wad catchers some are smooth.some of mine wont shoot worth a crap clean others wont shoot dirty.after a box or 2 of shells run a swab of acetone down the barrel & see how much plastic comes out.also some shells leave more resadue than others.for a hd gun barrel choke cleaning prob isnt a must but for target i find it very helpful with my pattrens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom