• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Operation DINO - 2014 Primary Election Results

The voting in the Primary Election is over, as you probably already know. I have removed the picks so that there is no confusion - DINO is a strategy applicable mostly to the Primary Election. It is also applicable to combat gerrymandering, which is not something that is specific to the Primary Election, so you should be and stay registered as a Democrat.

Though the DINO initiative did not get 100% of what it wanted, there is a lot of good news. Below is just some of that news. Pleas post up any information you have.

Results from the election can be found here: http://results.elections.maryland.gov/elections/results_data/index.html .

Attorney General

Cardin did win in the following counties, though he did not win overall: Allegany, Caroline, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Garrett, Queen Anne's, Saint Mary's, Somerset, Talbot, Washington, Wicomico, Worcester
    Cardin did not loose by a lot in these counties: Calvert, Kent
    Frosh effectively won because of: Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Montgomery County. No surprise about MC, where he got 40K more votes than Cardin.

Takeaway:
    • DINO probably played a role in the counties where Cardin won, or the vote for Cardin message reached and influenced Democrat voters in these areas. We needed higher voter turnout in those areas, and didn't get it. Do something about that!
    • You tell us what the best strategy going forward should be. Hint: Trolling about how you hate the areas where Frosh won is not helpful, and will change nothing for the better!

Senate

In:
    Klausmeier (D) (I)
    • Voted Nay on a 2-hour "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281) debate time limit, and nay on the bill itself
    • "A+" rating from NRA in 2014

Out:
    Luiz Simmons (D)
    LIST]
    [*]cosponsor of Firearms Safety Act 2013 - House version
    [*]Voted to pass the Firearms Safety Act 2013 (SB281)
    [*]Currently serving as a Delegate in District 17
    [*]House Judicial Committee member who voted Favorable with Amendment (pass) on the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013" while it was in the House Judicial Committee
    [*]"I have always supported a general ban on assault weapons"
    [*]Voted in Favor of Firearms Safety Act, amongst other things
    [*]A bit more information
    [*]"F" rating from NRA-PVF in 2014
    [/LIST]

In: (not great, but considered better than Simmons)
    Cheryl Kagan (D)

Out:
    V Jones-Rodwell (D)
    • cosponsor of the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013"
    • Voted Yea on a 2-hour "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281) debate time limit, and to pass the bill itself
    • "F" rating from NRA in 2014

In: (not great, but considered better than her opponent who was a cosponsor of the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013")
    Nathan-Pulliam (D)
    • Voted Yea on on the "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281)
    • "F" rating from NRA in 2014

House:

Out:
    Schillinger (D)
    "F" rating from NRA-PVF in 2014

In:
    Bromwell (D)
    Voted Nay on "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281)
    "A" rating from NRA in 2014

In:
    Renee Smith (D)
    "A-" rating from NRA in 2014

In: Hellelman

Not in: Sachs

In:
    Atterbeary

Out:
    Jordon Cooper (D)
    "...ran on an "assault weapons"[sic] confiscation and 2-yr handgun licensing platform..." - http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3263589&postcount=477

In: Platt

23B
    In: Vallario (D)

Out:
    Darren Swain (D)
    • House Judicial Committee member who voted Favorable with Amendment (pass) on the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013" while it was in the House Judicial Committee
    • Voted to pass the "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281)

Out:
    Veronica Turner (D) - ran for Senate seat and lost in Primary
    • Voted Yea on FSA, MJD, BB, ST, TR, GT, DP, MW
    • Excused (Absent) for RT vote
    • Currently serves as a Delegate in District 26
    • "F" rating from NRA-PVF in 2014

In: Wilson, Jameson

30A
    Out:
    Laurie Sears Deppa (D)
    "[2A] What is that?" and "Well, 5 year olds don't need to be running around with guns"

31A
    In:- Carey, Moran

Out:
    Tarrant (D)
    • cosponsor of Firearms Safety Act 2013 - House version
    • Voted Yea on on the "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281)

47A
    Out:
    Summers (D)
    • cosponsor of Firearms Safety Act 2013 - House version
    • Voted to pass the "Firearms Safety Act 2013" (SB281)

Nice work out there everyone!

Thanks to all who participated, supported, etc..

Next up: General Elections!

Last edited:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    District 15 Delegates:

Anybody besides Dumais (1st priority to remove from office) and Miller (2nd priority)

So Fraiser-Hidalgo and Bennett Rushkoff (though Rushkoff is pretty anti gun as well, new blood is better than the old established blood)

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    agreed! good call.

On the 15 Senate side, just don't vote at all. Mismatch in vote count between House and Senate will hopefully encourage someone to run next time. EG: House got 10K votes, and unopposed Senate just 2K. That means 8K people were unhappy with the choices in the Senate side. Make sense?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    agreed! good call.

On the 15 Senate side, just don't vote at all. Mismatch in vote count between House and Senate will hopefully encourage someone to run next time. EG: House got 10K votes, and unopposed Senate just 2K. That means 8K people were unhappy with the choices in the Senate side. Make sense?

Hopefully the would take notice of such a disparity.

Mr H

Banana'd
    32... Both House incumbents must go.

Spencer Dove is worth DINO votes in the primary, and may in time be an OK D to have. Too early to say for sure in the general.

Senate, we need to wait for the general, so do not cast a vote for DeGrange at all.

drkeg

Jan 14, 2011
    Catonsville
    District 12

The only things I have been able to learn in District 12 are:

Positive: Jay Fred Cohen has an NRA-PVF rating of B, he is the only candidate to respond to NRA-PVF.:thumbsup:

Negative: Clarence Lam specifically supported SB-281 and recites the litany of things which should be illegal, which are already illegal.:tdown:

Negative: Adam Sachs wants to raise the minimum age to buy a long gun from 18 to 21, no further info or explanation.:tdown:

The others make no mention of gun related issues. I emailed some of the candidates but received no responses. We get to vote for 3, so I will choose my other two based on other issues.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks! Updated.

I will add - do not vote for the Senate site Incumbent (Kasemeyer). See the other research thread for details on the voting history on that one. Not good!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    House District 13 - vote AGAINST Pendergrass and Turner, the incumbents.

That leaves the other 3 (5 total running, 3 seats to select):
    Atterbeary
    Eiland
    Siddiqui

No choice but a write-in on the Senate side. Guzzone is moving from the House to the Senate.

Any DINO's in District 13 want their name written on the ballot for Maryland Senate?

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    House District 13 - vote AGAINST Pendergrass and Turner, the incumbents.

That leaves the other 3 (5 total running, 3 seats to select):
    Atterbeary
    Eiland
    Siddiqui

No choice but a write-in on the Senate side. Guzzone is moving from the House to the Senate.

Any DINO's in District 13 want their name written on the ballot for Maryland Senate?

Thanks! Updated.

Good idea on the write-in. If they would show all the write-in votes by name, I would say we should all write-in John Galt! It would be fun to see him get votes in a bunch of districts :)

edit: Imagine the press Galt would get if he won a district by write-in hahaha!

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Thanks! Updated.

Good idea on the write-in. If they would show all the write-in votes by name, I would say we should all write-in John Galt! It would be fun to see him get votes in a bunch of districts :)

edit: Imagine the press Galt would get if he won a district by write-in hahaha!

In a way it cheapens the franchise... But for an unopposed D that must go, I don't hate it!!

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Senate District 42 - DeJuliis, Connie (D) - DINO candidate!

Weakest potential opponent for the pro-2A Republican
    ? rating from NRA-PVF
    Not a friend but she's not Jim Brochin

Mr H

Banana'd

? rating from NRA-PVF

See... I still worry about that one...

She's a Curran & Co. pick, so there will be money and a continuum of asshattery there. But we don't have the 'book' on her we have on Brochin.

For me, that's still a tossup... but you're closer to it than I am.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    In a way it cheapens the franchise... But for an unopposed D that must go, I don't hate it!!

We can post up other write-in candidates and take a vote :)

? rating from NRA-PVF

Okay, will do. I know there was some back and forth on that topic, so I had not yet posted one in there

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Attorney General - Cardin

Governor - Gansler

I apologize if this was covered somewhere else, but why gansler? I understand there are no pro-gun democrat governor candidates but he's got a god awful track record. Is there some other reason I am overlooking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom