• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    You know what guys, instead of bashing a Delegate that supports us almost as much as Delegate Smigiel, Get off of your hands, pick up the phone and call him and ask!

Not only does Delegate McDermott sit beside Delegate Smigiel in Judiciary but also shares an office with and who's day job when he is not in Annapolis is as Sheriff's Deputy for Worcester County Sheriff's Office.

If we start attacking those that support us, then we will have no one to support us. The 2A community is its own worst enemy.

Does the bill not add up, yep, is it evil in intent, I don't think so, and no one here knows for certain because no one has called and asked.
    My entire reason for starting the thread was because I have not had time to contact his office via telephone during typical office hours since finding this while reviewing legislation in the evenings. I know that the Delegate typically sides with Smigiel on many issues and this drew some concerns for me, as noted above, as a "feel good" bill that is not well defined.

The bill has problems and I was curious if anyone else had:

1. Noticed the bill in the Synopsis; and/or,
    2. Already talked to the Delegate to get a better feel.
    This is a community effort and I was trying to garner communication. The bill is poorly worded and has the potential to have some deep problems in this very Anti-2A state. I did not want to operate in a vacuum and wanted our community to be able to see it.

Questioning the intentions of a legislator, whether that particular individual tends to caucus with this community or not, is not bashing. I don't see where anyone is directly attacking Delegate McDermott.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My entire reason for starting the thread was because I have not had time to contact his office via telephone during typical office hours since finding this while reviewing legislation in the evenings. I know that the Delegate typically sides with Smigiel on many issues and this drew some concerns for me, as noted above, as a "feel good" bill that is not well defined.

The bill has problems and I was curious if anyone else had:

1. Noticed the bill in the Synopsis; and/or,
    2. Already talked to the Delegate to get a better feel.
    This is a community effort and I was trying to garner communication. The bill is poorly worded and has the potential to have some deep problems in this very Anti-2A state. I did not want to operate in a vacuum and wanted our community to be able to see it.

Questioning the intentions of a legislator, whether that particular individual tends to caucus with this community or not, is not bashing. I don't see where anyone is directly attacking Delegate McDermott.

This wasn't directed at you, hence why my first post was to tell you tall call and make an appointment and then see Andi. In your OP you at least stated you would try to get with the Delegate and ask what the impetus was, which is trying to get the whole picture.

This was directed at everyone that had a knee-jerk, emotional, liberal reaction to reading your first post, and bitching about it before having the big picture. And they are most likely the same people that make the statement that the liberals need to make an informed statement, not an emotional one. That goes both ways guys.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I might be imagining this but I think we used to have a car that came with a false bottom in the center console. It was to fool thieves.

This law is ridiculous. I hope Trunk Monkey shows up in force in Annapolis.

BlackInjun

Jun 7, 2013
    After reading the bill I am not sure it's much of an issue it says in a couple places building the enclosure AND using it for contraband or evidence it has been used for contraband is necessary for it to be considered a hidden compartment. My guess it's aimed at drug cars that they find the compartment and drugs or residue of drugs in them so they can seize them.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    You know what guys, instead of bashing a Delegate that supports us almost as much as Delegate Smigiel, Get off of your hands, pick up the phone and call him and ask!

Not only does Delegate McDermott sit beside Delegate Smigiel in Judiciary but also shares an office with and who's day job when he is not in Annapolis is as Sheriff's Deputy for Worcester County Sheriff's Office.

If we start attacking those that support us, then we will have no one to support us. The 2A community is its own worst enemy.

Does the bill not add up, yep, is it evil in intent, I don't think so, and no one here knows for certain because no one has called and asked.

Couldn't agree more. McDermott is a big supporter of people like us.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I spoke with the Delegates assistant and she believes this has to do with drug running and giving police more lattitude in car seaches, but she is going to check with the Delegate and get back to me.

She thinks he wrote this in conjuction with "Sheriff Lewis".

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I recall a story recently about this. Not sure if its a dupe, as this guy was arrested.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...rugs-or-illegal-items-so-why-was-he-arrested/

Yes

Meanwhile in Ohio:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...or-hidden-compartment-that-revealed-no-drugs/

1. Man driving a Dodge Dart through Ohio pulled over for speeding.
    2. Officer noticed an “overwhelming smell” of marijuana.
    3. Searched vehicle noticing "components inside the vehicle that did not appear to be factory".
    4. No marijuana found
    5. Man released on bond, car still being held as evidence.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How to make sure a vehicle doesn't have any hidden compartments:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I spoke with the Delegates assistant and she believes this has to do with drug running and giving police more lattitude in car seaches, but she is going to check with the Delegate and get back to me.

She thinks he wrote this in conjuction with "Sheriff Lewis".

Ask her if they also worked in "for the children".

"If everyone's allowed to have custom compartments then the terrorists win!"

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Bad bill, shouldn't have been drafted, "solves" a nonexistent problem by creating a worse problem via unintended consequences. Add it to the list of stuff you're emailing about.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Definitely think he is going after drugs and human smuggling. On first read, it looks like a necessary element for this law to apply is a person or contraband in the compartment OR evidence of earlier presence of the same.

Penalties looks like forfeiture of the vehicle and another charge.

Question from a hypothetical: Given that a majority of paper cash in circulation has trace evidence of drug residue, if a person were to hide emergency money in a secret compartment, could this be construed as satisfying this element of contraband in the compartment? I would like to see something in the bill limiting so wide a net to be cast, most likely in an effort with ulterior motives.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Definitely think he is going after drugs and human smuggling. On first read, it looks like a necessary element for this law to apply is a person or contraband in the compartment OR evidence of earlier presence of the same.

Penalties looks like forfeiture of the vehicle and another charge.

Question from a hypothetical: Given that a majority of paper cash in circulation has trace evidence of drug residue, if a person were to hide emergency money in a secret compartment, could this be construed as satisfying this element of contraband in the compartment? I would like to see something in the bill limiting so wide a net to be cast, most likely in an effort with ulterior motives.

Carrying large quantities of cash, with or without drug residue, makes you suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom