• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As the season winds up, this made me laugh.

[YT]K2yraLcdcms[/YT]
    That thing is so funny and right on that I ended up checking all the ones I found in that section. The woman in the gunstore ones were hilarious.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A lot is going to depend on the class of your firearms. Whatever one shoots the rest have to. Most shoot Tactical optics, which means a scope or red dot on the AR but not both, iron or fiber optic non-powered sights on the shotgun and pistol. No full race holsters on the pistol either. They will have one stage that requires hitting skinny steel targets at 3 different distances out to 300 yards max so you need to know you can make those shots with the AR. Max 9 rounds in the shotgun to start, no pistol mags longer than about 141mm, and usually max 30 round mags for the AR. No magazine fed shotguns (no Saigas and no MKA1919s)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well, I officially have all 3 guns now lol. So that being said, I'm looking to join a squad if anybody is interested.
    You can just put your name up to find a team or do what I did last year and decide not to shoot the event. Then find someone looking for a shooter who lost a team member with less than a week to go and decide to take them up on it. Had so much fun we all decided to shoot together again this year.
    There are going to be people out there looking to build a team of new shooters for the event. I know at least one member of MPC that told me he is looking to do it this year.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Nice, what did you get?

I've got a 14.5" pin welded upper built from PF with a mega lower, and a Viper PST 1-4 mounted on a QD, so I could run irons if needed. Other than that, I've got a Mossberg 500 and a Springfield XDm, no optics mounted on either the pistol or shotgun. The XDm is my edc, so the frills are kept to a minimum lol.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I've got a 14.5" pin welded upper built from PF with a mega lower, and a Viper PST 1-4 mounted on a QD, so I could run irons if needed. Other than that, I've got a Mossberg 500 and a Springfield XDm, no optics mounted on either the pistol or shotgun. The XDm is my edc, so the frills are kept to a minimum lol.

1. Make sure your shotgun can hold at least 9 rounds. Even then you will need to reload it on some stages. Practice reloading and buy some shotshell caddies. That is the minimum. Anything besides caddies and Load2/4 is going to slow your reloads down.

2. Make sure you can make shots out to 300 yards with your AR as well as be able to hit clay pidgeons with it at 15 yards and filled juice bottles at 25 yards. After last year I can't decided which of those was harder. I ended up dropping the AR and switching to my pistol on the clays where I only shot 1 extra round (I think there were 10 of them). Now I have a noted 15 yard spot on my scope reticle just in case. The field stage requires shooting prone at the farthest targets so bring at least 1 20 round mag also. No support allowed except you can brace it on the side of the barrier you used to shoot the 2 groups of closer targets.

3. Have at least 2 15-20 round mags for the pistol just to be safe, 3 if you think you might drop one because you can't pick one up on the clock.

4. You didn't need slings on either AR or shotgun last year. Much of the shotgun targets are steel knockdown or knock off but also bunches of clay holders. No slugs or buckshot just #7.5 or smaller.

I am considering bringing my 14.5" UATC (Urban Assault Tactical Carbine) instead of my 3-gun AR but only if I can make sure I can nail the LR AR targets. It would be faster to drive on all the short range targets in the match. It needs to be broken in anyway for the NRA NDM matches.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    A small point of correction, you can actually pick up a dropped mag on the clock; it is just very time consuming, and quite tricky, what with keeping the gun pointed in the right direction and all.....

My personal rule, and you will probably get as many answers as the number of shooters you ask, is to carry as many spare mags/caddies as you reasonably can, you never know when one will fall, malfunction or just plain old piss you off and end up in the weeds. Its always faster and much safer to grab a replacement from your belt then the ground.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A small point of correction, you can actually pick up a dropped mag on the clock; it is just very time consuming, and quite tricky, what with keeping the gun pointed in the right direction and all.....

My personal rule, and you will probably get as many answers as the number of shooters you ask, is to carry as many spare mags/caddies as you reasonably can, you never know when one will fall, malfunction or just plain old piss you off and end up in the weeds. Its always faster and much safer to grab a replacement from your belt then the ground.
    Thanks for the clarification. And also good advice as you can never have too much ammo on your belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom