• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Buck

Mar 22, 2017
    MD
    Hey all, I'm not new to shooting, but I'd like to get into competitive shooting. I'd like to watch some stuff before I actually join in. I'm in the Howard county area. Can anybody give me any local matches going on that I can watch.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm doing uspsa at sudlersville (eastern shore) saturday and 2 gun at quantico sunday. next weekend doing fredericksburg uspsa saturday and frederick idpa sunday. you're more than welcome to hang with me at any of these and i can give you a little insight. there is a shotgun-only uspsa-style match at thurmont this saturday. sure others will chime in with some other matches going on. i think? there is a fun match up at york this weekend also. just scroll thru the posts in this competitive shooting page for more info.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    What kind of competitive shooting are you interested in? Pistol, rifle, 3 gun, run and gun, or slower paced accuracy stuff like high power, F-class, bench rest etc.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 482

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    april 1, peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) below hagerstown and above winchester, is having a steel challenge match. the PERFECT first match for a newbie. no running around, they will let you start at low ready if you're not comfortable with a holster, no reloading on the clock (well, there shouldn't be...). they do morn and afternoon matches. seriously, bring what you got and they'll take care of you. if you're super cautious, you can watch the morning match and compete in the afternoon match. but it is very simple and pretty much anyone off the street can safely do this match. there are 5 - 8 stages and on each stage there are five steel targets. you draw and shoot each of the five. then top off your gun for the next one. you repeat this four times and each one is timed separately. then you go to the next stage which is set up a little differently, and so on. there are some nuances but this is pretty much it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i just tell them i'm there for xyz shooting match, show them my DL and i think all times but once they just waived me thru. i think they ran the DL once but not sure.

1911Buck

Mar 22, 2017
    MD
    What kind of competitive shooting are you interested in? Pistol, rifle, 3 gun, run and gun, or slower paced accuracy stuff like high power, F-class, bench rest etc.

Pistol to start. 1911 single stack stuff. Slower paced to start out, then run and gun...eventually three gun.

ten75ice

Career Fire Fighter
    Mar 12, 2011
    Falling Waters, WV
    april 1, peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) below hagerstown and above winchester, is having a steel challenge match. the PERFECT first match for a newbie. no running around, they will let you start at low ready if you're not comfortable with a holster, no reloading on the clock (well, there shouldn't be...). they do morn and afternoon matches. seriously, bring what you got and they'll take care of you. if you're super cautious, you can watch the morning match and compete in the afternoon match. but it is very simple and pretty much anyone off the street can safely do this match. there are 5 - 8 stages and on each stage there are five steel targets. you draw and shoot each of the five. then top off your gun for the next one. you repeat this four times and each one is timed separately. then you go to the next stage which is set up a little differently, and so on. there are some nuances but this is pretty much it.

No more AM and PM matches Dave. It's just all day long.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The full 8 stage SC match at PNTC does not have an AM/PM squad, just all day. You can shoot 2 guns but they will be in the same squad. Likely finish around 3 PM or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom