• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    My wife loves to shoot her guns and wants to look for another range to shoot at. We have been going to the same range for a long time, but the last few times we have gone there she has felt uncomfortable. There have been groups coming in shooting in a very unconventional way (Thug Style). I would think that the Range Master would say something, but has not yet.

She would like to go shooting next weekend and I am thinking about trying out Free State's range. What are peoples thoughts of their range? I only know one other person that goes there and they said it is a friendly atmosphere. We are not looking for a hang out, but looking for a place that she will feel comfortable to put some .357 sized holes in some paper. We don't want to feel like we need watch over our shoulders. We have an extra long weekend coming, so which day would be best to go?

Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    I’ve been a member since it was just a concrete building with a folding table to take credit card payments and at first it was a blessing to have somewhere so close to home with a friendly staff that always made their customers feel welcomed.

Unfortunately over the years it has gotten progressively worse. They seem to care about money over safety. I have seen them allow groups of questionable looking people shoot while they reek of marijuana. I have seen them allow people to rent ARs and AKs with no experience using them not to mention their pants hanging off their backside. There is never a staff member that is permanently assigned to monitor the shooters and at anytime someone could be lasering you with a weapon and you would have no idea.

It’s a real shame, because it’s a beautiful range and I love going when it’s not crowded. I have personally addressed my concerns with the managers and nothing really seems to change.

Hope you find a good place to shoot!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I’ve been a member since it was just a concrete building with a folding table to take credit card payments and at first it was a blessing to have somewhere so close to home with a friendly staff that always made their customers feel welcomed.

Unfortunately over the years it has gotten progressively worse. They seem to care about money over safety. I have seen them allow groups of questionable looking people shoot while they reek of marijuana. I have seen them allow people to rent ARs and AKs with no experience using them not to mention their pants hanging off their backside. There is never a staff member that is permanently assigned to monitor the shooters and at anytime someone could be lasering you with a weapon and you would have no idea.

It’s a real shame, because it’s a beautiful range and I love going when it’s not crowded. I have personally addressed my concerns with the managers and nothing really seems to change.

Agree. I stopped going to FS when the hot doggers with girlfriends to impress started coming in. Cameras out, posing, all fun and games yet I caught grief for using one of those photograph targets of Osama Bin Laden AFTER he was dead because it may bother some people

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Darn! That's sad :( I haven't been in a long time (probably 5+ years). My only complaint (from that time) was that it could be kinda crowded sometimes. I prefer to shoot outside anyway, but with two still unfired new pistols, I was really tempted to go there sometime rather than trek out to AGC. I guess I'm glad I didn't.

This place seems to have mixed reviews after its new ownership:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=226833

If you don't mind shooting outside, SLCFSA might not be too much of a drive. They only take new members in the beginning of the year though. https://www.slcfsa.org

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I was a member for years there, since not long after they opened.... I LOVED going there and loved when it was mostly Mark at the counter, Candice was tehre, Randy was always goofin in the showroom.. It just felt liek home.. now, the business has expanded, you have to or you become irrelevant. I havent witness the thug life in there, however, I do see a lot of training by agencies going on, and thats cool.. I just hate getting moved mid shooting because they need my lane, so pppaaccckk up my stuff and move aand start again, kinda kills the vibes. That being said, Its a great place to shoot and its clean. Say something to the owners Mark and Randy..... if there is an issue, they will address it.. especially a safety one.....

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Darn! That's sad :( I haven't been in a long time (probably 5+ years). My only complaint (from that time) was that it could be kinda crowded sometimes. I prefer to shoot outside anyway, but with two still unfired new pistols, I was really tempted to go there sometime rather than trek out to AGC. I guess I'm glad I didn't.

This place seems to have mixed reviews after its new ownership:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=226833

If you don't mind shooting outside, SLCFSA might not be too much of a drive. They only take new members in the beginning of the year though. https://www.slcfsa.org

SLCFSA is not to far at all. Actually closer to me
    then Free State and where we were going. May have to try this out.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have friends that go to TSS in Avondale that like it alot. I haven't been there myself though. There is also Alexander's I think it is called in the Galena area. Alexander's is an outdoor range and I believe that you have to buy a membership. I usually go to elk neck range but just during the week when I can sneak out of work to avoid the crowds. I'm only 2 miles from there.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Agree. I stopped going to FS when the hot doggers with girlfriends to impress started coming in. Cameras out, posing, all fun and games yet I caught grief for using one of those photograph targets of Osama Bin Laden AFTER he was dead because it may bother some people

Osama Bin Laden was a terrorist. If people got offended because his picture was being shot then I would call them sympathizers. I don't like to offend but it seems those offended in this case should take a hint - NOT HERE.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If I know I'm just shooting handguns, I have started going to Continental. More lanes, clean and not as crowded. My last attempt at FS they told me it was a 3 plus hour wait. Time before was 2 plus hour. They saw the "wow" look on my face and suggested I could go get something to eat in the meantime, but not very possible with firearms in the vehicle. There are a lot of questionable characters that go now. Clueless individuals or groups to clarify.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I stopped going to freestate in 2012 when I was filling out paperwork for an AR15 lower, pulled out my CCW card to fill in info on paperwork. Girl had a shitfit, saying I needed to disclose that I was armed, blah blah blah, I kind of looked at her while I was seated filling out my paperwork and said "its concealed and without me getting out my card to fill out paperwork you would have never known". Well long story short went back next week to a sign on the door that said "ONLY UNIFORMED OFFICERS MAY CARRY" I picked up my lower and left and never went back.

edit: its been a minute, but I used to walk into continental carrying a box of ammo, show my CCW and get a few targets and fill out paperwork and head to the back. They respected the fact that I am licensed to carry and went over I was not to draw-shoot and to only remove the firearm from holster once in my lane.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    If I know I'm just shooting handguns, I have started going to Continental. More lanes, clean and not as crowded. My last attempt at FS they told me it was a 3 plus hour wait. Time before was 2 plus hour. They saw the "wow" look on my face and suggested I could go get something to eat in the meantime, but not very possible with firearms in the vehicle. There are a lot of questionable characters that go now. Clueless individuals or groups to clarify.

+1. Used to really enjoy Free State but long waits and the change in clientele have changed my opinion.

I've started going to Continental again. Have yet to wait for a lane and there is always a range officer keeping an eye on the idiots.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    When I went to FS it was great.
    This was before any wait times or riff raff issues. I would honestly laugh and leave us someone ever told me it was a 2-3 hour wait. Who has so little to do as to hang out for hours just to shoot?

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    When I went to FS it was great.
    This was before any wait times or riff raff issues. I would honestly laugh and leave us someone ever told me it was a 2-3 hour wait. Who has so little to do as to hang out for hours just to shoot?

That was my issue with it. Only thing close is McDonalds or other fast food so that could kill 30 minutes, but that negates the fact I can't leave the firearms in the vehicle so you're held hostage. I was leaving Continental when I finally got a text saying a lane was open at FS. Plus the overall retail prices are so high it just makes it hard to go up there.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Free State's facility is top notch, but it gets very busy on the weekends. If I were to shoot there on the weekends, I'd try to get there right when they open at 10am. 11am and on, it is a zoo in there. Great to see the business flourishing, but just be mindful if you want to shoot there on weekends.

Staff has always been great to me and they are also a one-stop shop for anyone looking for their HQL or to purchase an NFA item. Fingerprinting and paperwork is done on site.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I used to go to Free State and was even a member at one point. I stopped going for a number of reasons.

1) Their policies, namely no drawing from a holster and no concealed firearms on their property.

2) The ridiculous wait times.

3) The fact that they cater to criminals and make no effort to exclude them. They allow criminals to use their range with stolen firearms. Video from their CCTV system has been introduced as evidence in court showing murderers and other violent felons practicing at their facility. It's very obvious who these people are. If I owned a gun range there's no way in hell I would allow someone who looks like they stepped off the set of the movie "Colors" to enter my range with a beat up Bersa Thunder and some loose rounds in a shopping bag. I know several Police Officers who refuse to shoot at Free State because they don't want to practice with known felons in the next lane. It's only a matter of time before they have a murder occur on their property.

Personally, I have no use for Free State. I belong to a small club out of state and when I want to shoot I make the trip there.

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    Staff are always nice at FS. The only issue is there is no cold air blowing out of the vent inside the range. Bring extra shirt if you are planning to shoot. The range is really on high temperature in the summer. Or wait until next month when the weather starts to cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I belong to a small club out of state and when I want to shoot I make the trip there.

This. Out of state ranges tend to wreck anything here. When I absolutely need to shoot in-state, I just go to Hap Baker on weekdays, and if I want to shoot indoors, I just make the drive to NRA Fairfax where the facilities are top-notch and I never have to worry about sharing the line with idiots or ne'er-do-wells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom