• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    We purchased a SIG MPX-K for home defense and are looking at a 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun. My wife fell in love with the Walther PPQ and they have the subcompact. I was opting for the SIG P320 X-5 but now they came out with the P365. So my initial thought was to get the full size guns until we are able to,leave Maryland. Then we would get the smaller ones for CC. However with the MPX and shotgun is there any need for the full size handguns for home defense? My wife is cool either way but I’m just thinking practically. Any suggestions?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Can you shoot, walk, use a light, turn lights on, parry a punch, pull your wife behind or into cover, open doors, etc... Carrying a MPX?

A pistol is a one handed self defense weapon. My training and experience is, if you're not working with a team, your support hand will get more and better use than holding up the front of a hand guard.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    get a full and a compact, that gives you options. do any of those come in a glock 19/32/23 size, that might be a good in between option for home and carry.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    FWIW while I can't CC in this godawful state I still tuck a subcompact in my waistband around the house. I'm vertically challenged, so carrying a full-size is simply not as comfortable nor concealable. I may have an unexpected guest and want to appear unarmed (like say, one of my very liberal leaning neighbors). I also have a shotgun tucked in the bedroom closet. Those are both ends of practicality for me. Have something close and easy and something for more serious work.

My wife also loves tiny guns but I would only recommend one if you are comfortable shooting them. Would highly recommend taking her to a range that rents... she might decide that subcompact PPQ is just not her thing after all. A full-size pistol is far better for many reasons.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The default answer for a semiauto for open ended question:

Bbl length of +/- 4in
    Grip long enough for *You* to get full grip with all fingers , but not much longer .
    Either alloy or polymer frame
    Either DA\ SA or imatation glock-ish trigger system , with pull that doesn't suck
    That *You* can shoot reasonably well.

If you don't have strong feelings otherwise, 9mm is default cal .

This is large enough to shoot well , small enough to carry under a shirt tail .

I can talk about what * I * favor , I could do that at length , but those might or probably not be your choices .

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Thanks for the input. Gonna train with the wife and boy to see our ability to manipulate the environment with the MPX and shotgun. Since I’m getting a Sig Im going to buy an air pistol for reference since the wife’s full PPQ has to be the next purchase. My wife’s shot the 5” PPQ so we’ll have her try out the subcompact. What I’m leaning toward is having full size at home AND get carry for the house till we leave Maryland. I will be carrying in our condo so alternating between the sub and full will probably be what I do. I think doing this will also make the firearm less of a mystery to my son as well as the other three on the way. We don’t have toy guns in the house because we’ve taught him that guns are not toys. For Christmas the outlaws (in Laws) bought him a couple toy guns and we had him throw them out with the assurance he will get a real rifle when he’s 6. Off topic a bit but just typing as I think this through.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The toy gun thing is interesting. I have a girl, and she had no interest in playing army with toy guns but still got to handle real guns pretty early. I made sure she understood gun safety and demystified firearms. "Don't touch this" never works, just generates more curiosity.

We did buy her some Nerf guns, and later cheap airsoft around age 7-8. By then she was interested in actually shooting accurately and aside from finding plastic pellets in odd places, we had a great time mowing down water bottles, punching paper, and chasing off squirrels from the bird feeder.

We did shoot each other with the Nerf guns but she always followed two rules: no head shots, and ONLY Nerf guns. EVER.

If I had a couple of young boys though, I may have taken a different tack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom