• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    So who has a big bore pistol with a scope? Any recommendations ?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Burris makes a nice pistol scope.

Had one on a Ruger Blackhawk.

Stout .45LC cartridges couldn't hurt it.

The .454 wore it for a time too.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Spoke with JD Jones from SSK recently and asked that same question of him, he's a BIG player in all the hand cannon stuff. Check out SSK if you aren't familiar with them. Called him to get screws for his T'SOB mount I got used for a Ruger .44.

That said, he was a big fan of 4x Leupold pistol scopes and didn't suggest any others.

In another book I just finished on Hunting Revolvers that writer seemed to be a big Ultradot fan as it appeared in many pics in that book from many different owners. Very popular scope with the competition and big bore guys so that would be my dot choice.

Just put a 2x Leupold on the Ruger .44, haven't been able to shoot it enough to report back yet though. I don't expect issues though.

All that said, buy quality to save yourself frustration and time in the long run.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x32mm HANDGUN on my 500 S&W Bone Collector.
    It has Leupold's heaviest rifle mount - the M4 IIRC.
    The best group of 3 I could get is 4 in. @ 100yds.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Bushnell Elite 3200 2x6 on my Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull. No recent stats but has been a 2-1/2 to 3” group at 100 yds in the past, from sandbags. Better at times, not so much at others, more than likely shooter’s fault. Love shooting it, decent reticle but very difficult at times to get a full sight picture. Very slight head or eye movement you get side-shading or half-mooning. On longer range sessions I get the hang of it, but my inexperience with handgun scopes seems to bite me for a few shots each new range outing. The more I shoot it the more I get used to it. Hunted few times with it, was fortunate to draw down on a few non-shooters, and really like the presentation it gave me for when a better deer came by.

Note the mount, Taurus sold this kinda “off market” thru Customer Service back when I got this in 2008. It clamps onto the vent rib rail, doesn’t screw onto the receiver. Holds well enough, but even with Loc-Tite the screws works themselves loose over time. I can live with it, but I don’t recommend it. Haven’t looked at Taurus’ specs lately, but hopefully they fixed this.

Attachments

• 4D9BA747-9E56-4FC6-8A58-B410085EB6DC.jpg
      4D9BA747-9E56-4FC6-8A58-B410085EB6DC.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 94

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I was told by Leupold that mounts on these types of handguns are crucial.
    Note again that per Leupold's recommendation these are rifle mounts - I haven't had them work loose - knock on wood.
    I don't know if the gunsmith used Loctite.

Attachments

• BoneCollector+Cartridges-s.jpg
      BoneCollector+Cartridges-s.jpg
      27.2 KB · Views: 87

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used a Weaver no gunsmithing mount on my Ruger Super Blackhawk with an early Simmon 2X pistol scope. Used it in Hunter’s Pistol for just over half of a season. In over 1500 rounds of magnum ammo the mount and scope never faltered. I removed the scope and mount and installed the scope and Weaver rings on a 10” TC 30-30 Contender using the standard Weaver mount. I shot it for a few years. Scope, rings and mount held up great. I put the scope, rings and mount back on the SBHK and it shot as well as before, never faltered.
    I have since used a Leupold 2X pistol scope on a 223 15” Contender with Leupold mount/rings and a 10” 7mm TCU Contender with standard Weaver mount. I presently have a Burris 3X Silhouette pistol scope on the 7mm TCU with the same standard Weaver mount. All have been problem free use.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    +1 for Leupold. I have a 2X long eye relief on my .44mag and it has held up great. I should have gotten a 4X maybe but oh well.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    +1 for Leupold. I have a 2X long eye relief on my .44mag and it has held up great. I should have gotten a 4X maybe but oh well.

I wanted the 2x but couldn’t find one so I settled for the 4x but the 2x I was told had a little bit longer eye relief. Either way they are great pistols scopes with very clear optics. Mine has held up great to a lotta pounding without a hiccup

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I wanted the 2x but couldn’t find one so I settled for the 4x but the 2x I was told had a little bit longer eye relief. Either way they are great pistols scopes with very clear optics. Mine has held up great to a lotta pounding without a hiccup

Agreed, I think my 2X has about 18" of eye relief which is just about perfect for me with both arms extended. Sometimes it's a little hard to get behind the scope correctly to get in the eye box but I'm not using it for reflex shooting. I can't hunt with it in the county I hunt but its fun for a range toy. With Remington .44 ammo it throws a pretty nice fireball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom