• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • You don't need an HQL to buy a parts kit.

I know you don't, but If you walk into an FFL and ask him to sell you all the parts from a G43 except the frame now he is stuck with a frame he will most likely never sell and it's going to cost him more to replace the parts to sell the pistol than he pays for a new pistol...it's unlikely they would do that.

Again you are missing the point of building from 80%..

No paper trail
    No begging the state for permission
    the satisfaction of completing the firearm yourself
    did I mention no paper trail?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I know you don't, but If you walk into an FFL and ask him to sell you all the parts from a G43 except the frame now he is stuck with a frame he will most likely never sell and it's going to cost him more to replace the parts to sell the pistol than he pays for a new pistol...it's unlikely they would do that.

No paper trail
    Especially if you can get someone else to order the lowers and pay them cash for yours. :thumbsup:

I know you have to be 21 years old to get a HQL and buy a handgun. Do you have to be 21 to buy and build a 80% lower as well? Specifically, would my 19 year old son be able to build a gun for himself from an 80% lower legally?

This might be a fun father/son project...

Rob.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I have purchased 8 80% pistol kits and they have never asked me for my age. There is no paper work involved at all...nothing.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I have purchased 8 80% pistol kits and they have never asked me for my age. There is no paper work involved at all...nothing.
    I understand that. My main question is: Can a 19 year old legally finish an 80% and own the resulting pistol legally?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

No paper trail

If you pay full price of the gun but tell the seller to keep the frame as a paperweight or destroy it, the seller gets the money they wanted anyway. It will still end up cheaper than buying a take-off slide for $400, lower parts for $90, and then mags for $20 each.

If the seller wants you to do paperwork for a parts kit, find another seller. It's not difficult. I agree with all the points of building 80%s and have been encouraging my friends in MD to do the same rather than get an HQL, but there are more affordable ways to do it while achieving the same goals without paying out for expensive takeoff parts sold by these retailers.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I understand that. My main question is: Can a 19 year old legally finish an 80% and own the resulting pistol legally?

I don't think so. I believe you have to legally be able to own the firearm you are making. In other words if you could buy it at an FFL you can also make it for yourself. If you can't buy it then no.

You aren't following the logic here...if there is no paper work then there is no paper trail to a legal owner..So whether he is 21 or not is irrelevant. It's NOT illegal for someone under 21 to be at the range with a handgun with someone 21 or older.. my kids were at the range firing pistols when they were 7 or 8 years old. The very worst thing that could happen is he builds it and the pistol lives with you for 2 years..assuming he no longer lives with you...if he does then the pistol is your property until he turns 21...Doesn't stop him from using it at the range..It's not like he has a wear and carry and needs an EDC...

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I know you have to be 21 years old to get a HQL and buy a handgun. Do you have to be 21 to buy and build a 80% lower as well? Specifically, would my 19 year old son be able to build a gun for himself from an 80% lower legally?

This might be a fun father/son project...
    I gotta say this pisses me off. You can hand a kid a full auto rifle and send him off to war at 18 but when he returns home to MD. he or she can't have a revolver or a semi auto handgun or AR until they are 21.

Maryland generally prohibits any person under age 21 from possessing any “regulated firearm” (handgun or assault weapon).Nov 17, 2017

Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Maryland - Giffords Law Center
    lawcenter.giffords.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-in-maryland/

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I gotta say this pisses me off. You can hand a kid a full auto rifle and send him off to war at 18 but when he returns home to MD. he or she can't have a revolver or a semi auto handgun or AR until they are 21.

Maryland generally prohibits any person under age 21 from possessing any “regulated firearm” (handgun or assault weapon).Nov 17, 2017

Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Maryland - Giffords Law Center
    lawcenter.giffords.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-in-maryland/
    Well, so much for a father/son project. Guess it'll have to b wait til he's 21.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Well, so much for a father/son project. Guess it'll have to b wait til he's 21.

Have you built an 80% AR yet? You can build one into a very nice rifle that he can own now!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I don't think so. I believe you have to legally be able to own the firearm you are making. In other words if you could buy it at an FFL you can also make it for yourself. If you can't buy it then no.
    While I, as always, advocate breaking NO laws:

A wise old owl sat in an oak
    The more he saw, the less he spoke
    The less he spoke, the more he heard
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Have you built an 80% AR yet? You can build one into a very nice rifle that he can own now!
    Thanks for the suggestion, but he's much more into shooting pistols than rifles. Hence the query.

Rob

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I keep getting teased by thread titles including "G43", only to find out youse guys aren't even talking German, much less rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom