• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In a couple of weeks I am taking a trip up to Cabela’s to get some new hiking boots and I figure when I am there I should look at some reloading components. My wife’s uncle is giving me his reloading gear (RCBS single stage IIRC). I’ve watched some tutorials on how to reload and DemonAssassin was kind enough to let me run his press and talk it over with me. My neighbor also reloads.

So all of that out of the way, I’ll need some new does as I think the only ones my wife’s uncle has are .25-06 and .30-30. I don’t own anything in those calibers.

The ones I am most interested in reloading for are 6.5 grendel, .308, .30-06 Garand, .30 carbine and 8mm mauser. Well, for rifles. 7.62x25 would be what I am interested in reloading for pistols.

Probably what I’d be interested in trying out the most first would be 6.5 Grendel and probably either .30 carbine or .308.

I’d appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions on a powder where there is both probably easy to find reloading data and would be appropriate for, say, 6.5 grendel and .308. Or several of those calibers.

I am not necessarily looking for eking the absolute best velocity with the best accuracy out of each cartridge at this point. I am interested more in not blowing up, going bang each time and reasonable accuracy and velocity.

Basically get some experience and I wouldn’t mind saving some money compared to buying new cartridges (partly why I am looking at 6.5 grendel for reloading first as it isn’t cheap for loaded components).

I really don’t want to have to buy a powder per cartridge. At least not right away. I’d rather get a few hundred small rifle primers and a pound or two of powder and either order bullets from somewhere if that is cheaper with shipping or get some when at Cabela’s. Then get dies for 1 or 2 rifle calibers and go to town (I’ve got plenty spent brass for 6.5G and .308).

Thanks!

PS yes I know M1 Ball .30-06 requires a specific IMR powder, which is why I am not looking to reload for my Garand right away. And I have a friend who reloads for it, so if I want to hunt I can toss him a few bucks and get 20 rounds of softpoint loaded for a Garand to zero it and hunt with.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    NO, M1 Garand does not require a specific IMR powder. There are a number of powders that can be loaded in .30-06 for M1 Garands. Just get a loading book with M1 Garand specific load data.

As for the calibers mentioned for rifle, the .30 Carbine does not use powders similar to the other ones. More like a pistol power. H110 is common.

I don't know anything about reloading Grendal.

.30-06 and .308 can use some similar powders, and probably the 8mm.

Best is get loading manuals, look at the load tables and see what works best for you. You may find that a single powder will work, but you may be limited in bullet weights with that powder.

Considering how many rounds per pound for rifles, why not get the proper powder for each load?
    .30-06 is about 140 rounds per pound. .308 is around 150 - 170 rounds per pound.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    NO, M1 Garand does not require a specific IMR powder. There are a number of powders that can be loaded in .30-06 for M1 Garands. Just get a loading book with M1 Garand specific load data.

As for the calibers mentioned for rifle, the .30 Carbine does not use powders similar to the other ones. More like a pistol power. H110 is common.

I don't know anything about reloading Grendal.

.30-06 and .308 can use some similar powders, and probably the 8mm.

Best is get loading manuals, look at the load tables and see what works best for you. You may find that a single powder will work, but you may be limited in bullet weights with that powder.

Considering how many rounds per pound for rifles, why not get the proper powder for each load?
    .30-06 is about 140 rounds per pound. .308 is around 150 - 170 rounds per pound.

no nothing about the above one... don't own one.

as far as .308 / 06 / 8mm
    IMR-4895,4064, W-748, work great in the 08 / 06 if the Garand / M1A / HK / FNFAL
    8mm 4064 works for the heavier bullets and lighter one but can use 4895 for light ones only.
    W-748 according to Hornady X manual covers basically all the rounds you want to reload for except
    the 30 Carbine, 7.62x25
    30 Carbine would be H110, you can also use it in the 300 B.O. down the road if you have or plan to get one.

Check out the CMP forum there is a wealth of information there or the M14forum.

Most rifles have their "sweet spot" with certain powders / bullets / COAL etc.
    So it seems your looking for the one powder fits all, to cut down on different powders
    laying around, investments etc.

Hornady X manual would help, or invest in several, and if $ permit Berger Bullets manual
    has a wealth of information, ballistics etc.

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys! I figure I need to invest in several different powders, but I am hoping I finally just to get a couple of pounds of one powder and if possible be able to reload for 2 or maybe even 3 calibers just to learn and also see if for some reason I do or don’t like reloading a caliber.

Anything high volume I’d just buy commercially loaded ammo. At least until I could get a progressive or something. A single stage I am not reloading hundreds and hundreds of rounds at a time.

If the answer is I am better off with one powder for .308 and one for 6.5 Grendel and one for 8mm mauser or whatever, so be it. But my 8mm mauser volume is probably going to be 60-80 rounds a year. So if I do reload for it, I’d really rather not need a powder just for it.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    H4895, Varget, IMR 4895, IMR 4064 are probably the best all around choice for the rifle calibers you named. Any of those will give excellent accuracy with most bullet weights when proper loads for each are used. No need to go powder crazy and no need to join what others typically call "The powder of the week club".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Within your stated parameters , any of the usual suspects of medium speed rifle powders will work . I think I saw one mention of WW 748 , and I'll also throw out RL-15 .

.30 Carbine actually takes a magnum pistol type powder . WW 296/ H110 is default choice , unless you already have a supply of 4227 , AA9 , or similar for other purposes .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I did some looking for versatile powders awhile back and although I did not look at every powder for every cartridge this may provide some insight for you. I only was interested if at least one load recipe was listed for a given powder regardless of bullet type or weight.

The powders I researched and the number of calibers listed were:
    Powder / Rifle / Handgun / Total

231 / 2 / 26 / 28
    2400 / 70 / 13 / 83
    IMR 3031 / 97 / 8 / 105
    IMR 4198 / 108 / 7 / 115
    IMR 4227 / 85 / 20 / 105
    IMR 4895 / 100 / 7 / 107
    Bullseye / 3 / 31 / 34
    Unique / 86 / 37 / 123
    PB / 45 / 23 / 68
    Red Dot / 45 / 20 / 65
    Green Dot / 45 / 12 / 57
    Blue Dot / 4 / 19 / 23

Most versatile combo was Unique for Handgun, IMR 4198 for Rifle; 168 total different cartridges.

The Reloading manuals I consulted were:

A = Handloader’s Guide for Smokeless powders; IMR Powder Company; 1990
    B = Hodgdon’s 2011 Annual Reloading Manual; Hodgdon Powder Co.; 2011
    C = Lyman Ideal Handbook No. 40; The Lyman Gun Sight Corp.; 1955 (lot of cast loads)
    D = Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition; Lyman Products Co.; copy write 1980, printed 2010
    E = Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition; Lyman Products Co.; copy write 2010
    F = Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition; copy write 2008, printed 2008

For your calibers:

6.5 Grendel =
    IMR 4198 Ref B

.308 Winchester (7.62 NATO; 7.62 X 51 MM) =
    Alliant 2400 Ref. C, E, F,
    IMR 3031 Ref. A, B, C, D, E, F,
    IMR 4064 Ref. F,
    IMR 4198 Ref. A, B, C, E, F,
    IMR 4227 Ref. A, C, E, F,
    IMR 4895 Ref. A, B, C, F,
    PB Ref. D,
    Unique Ref. C, D, E, F,
    Red Dot Ref. D,
    Green Dot Ref. D,
    Reloader 7 Ref. F,

.30-06 Springfield (7.62 X 63 MM) I did not include separate category for Garand loads.
    Alliant 2400 Ref. C, D, E, F,
    IMR 3031 Ref. A, B, C, D, E, F,
    IMR 4064 Ref. F,
    IMR 4198 Ref. A, C, D, E, F,
    IMR 4227 Ref. A, C, D, E, F,
    PB Ref. D,
    Unique Ref. C, D, E, F,
    Red Dot Ref. D, E, F,
    Green Dot Ref. D, E, F,
    Reloader 7 Ref. F,

.30 M1 Carbine Rifle
    Alliant 2400 Ref. C, D, E, F,
    IMR 4198 Ref. A,
    IMR 4227 Ref. A, B, C, D, E, F,
    Unique Ref. C, D, E, F,

8 X 57 MM Mauser (7.92X57, 8X57JS)
    Alliant 2400 Ref. C, E
    IMR 3031 Ref. A, B, C, E, F,
    IMR 4064 Ref. F,
    IMR 4198 Ref. A, C, D, E, F,
    IMR 4227 Ref. A,
    PB Ref. D,
    Unique Ref. C, D,
    Red Dot Ref. D,
    Green Dot Ref. D,
    Reloader 7 Ref. F,

7.62×25mm Tokarev
    Bullseye Ref. E,
    Unique Ref. E,
    Red Dot Ref. E,

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The above is interesting, but skewed in a cpl ways .

In general older , " classic" powders are overrepresented . ( Dosn't mean they're bad choices , just over represented in such compilations .)

The presence of so many sources focusing on cast bullets . Unlike in handguns, rifles use lots of faster powders for cast bullets ( and mid range jacketed) than normal loads for jacketed .

Presuming you are contemplating shooting jacketed bullets , at more or less normal velocities , you should concentrate on the plethora of medium burning rate rifle powders discussed in this thread .

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I use IMR 4064 for reloading most of my 30-06, .308 win, .243 win and 7 mm rounds.
    I try to keep my powder inventory types down to as few as I can.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Thanks guys! I figure I need to invest in several different powders, but I am hoping I finally just to get a couple of pounds of one powder and if possible be able to reload for 2 or maybe even 3 calibers just to learn and also see if for some reason I do or don’t like reloading a caliber.

Anything high volume I’d just buy commercially loaded ammo. At least until I could get a progressive or something. A single stage I am not reloading hundreds and hundreds of rounds at a time.

If the answer is I am better off with one powder for .308 and one for 6.5 Grendel and one for 8mm mauser or whatever, so be it. But my 8mm mauser volume is probably going to be 60-80 rounds a year. So if I do reload for it, I’d really rather not need a powder just for it.

we are thinking right the same direction, can save a lot of money reloading. your questions have been helpful. I'd like to reload 308 first, as cheply as possible to start.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And we're not particularly joking. I've seen ammo loaded with one do MOA . They're slow , but definately the least expensive entry point , plus very compact and portable.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    In a couple of weeks I am taking a trip up to Cabela’s to get some new hiking boots and I figure when I am there I should look at some reloading components. My wife’s uncle is giving me his reloading gear (RCBS single stage IIRC). I’ve watched some tutorials on how to reload and DemonAssassin was kind enough to let me run his press and talk it over with me. My neighbor also reloads.

So all of that out of the way, I’ll need some new does as I think the only ones my wife’s uncle has are .25-06 and .30-30. I don’t own anything in those calibers.

The ones I am most interested in reloading for are 6.5 grendel, .308, .30-06 Garand, .30 carbine and 8mm mauser. Well, for rifles. 7.62x25 would be what I am interested in reloading for pistols.

Probably what I’d be interested in trying out the most first would be 6.5 Grendel and probably either .30 carbine or .308.

I’d appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions on a powder where there is both probably easy to find reloading data and would be appropriate for, say, 6.5 grendel and .308. Or several of those calibers.

I am not necessarily looking for eking the absolute best velocity with the best accuracy out of each cartridge at this point. I am interested more in not blowing up, going bang each time and reasonable accuracy and velocity.

Basically get some experience and I wouldn’t mind saving some money compared to buying new cartridges (partly why I am looking at 6.5 grendel for reloading first as it isn’t cheap for loaded components).

I really don’t want to have to buy a powder per cartridge. At least not right away. I’d rather get a few hundred small rifle primers and a pound or two of powder and either order bullets from somewhere if that is cheaper with shipping or get some when at Cabela’s. Then get dies for 1 or 2 rifle calibers and go to town (I’ve got plenty spent brass for 6.5G and .308).

Thanks!

PS yes I know M1 Ball .30-06 requires a specific IMR powder, which is why I am not looking to reload for my Garand right away. And I have a friend who reloads for it, so if I want to hunt I can toss him a few bucks and get 20 rounds of softpoint loaded for a Garand to zero it and hunt with.

As long as you aren’t shooting really low grain bullets in your 6.5 Gren you could use Allient RL-15 to reload for the 6.5 Gren, 308, 30-06 M-1, and the 8mm Mauser. As others have posted you will need to run something like H110 or Win 296 for the 30 carbine but the nice thing is that you can use it for the 7.62x25.

If you are close to Pasadena I may be able to help you out in the die category as I have doubles and triples of many die sets which I don’t use anymore.

My favorite powder for the 308 is IMR 4064 although I know there are many others that work as well. I just have a lot of it and it’s my favorite powder for running 175 and 178 grain bullets out to 1000 yards.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions regarding reloading. I’ll see if in the next week or so I can run some powder charts in Quick Load to see if anything else lines up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom