• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    after zeroing my rifle at 25y, i moved to 100 and rezeroed. Then i put in some 110gr (vmax and TTSX) but they seem to "explode" about 25-40 yards after they leave the barrel.

Never make it to the target which is about the size of 2 "avg sized torsos". Combine that with a PLUME of what i'll call smoke and a secondary pop/crack sound. No pressures signs on the brass... and they work great in my 308 n 300blk.

Could they really be spinning apart??

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    300 win mag (1:10 twist) (24" barrel), never got them choreographed. 69gr of W760, estimated 3,450 fps. The estimated speed is based off gr @ max and gr at min, getting fps per gr and making a rough guess of speed. In the past, this has gotten me w/in 50 fps. I have a chronograph but haven't tested these w/ them yet. Dont want to blow up the chrono!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...estimated 3,450 fps....
    Probably too much for that bullet design, especially if the throat on the rifle is not new and slick. Another factor that will ruin light fast soft bullets is a hard carbon ring, which a .300WinMag is prone to develop.

I used to run 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 6.5-300 Weatherby and got 3,500 out of them w/o losing any. I tried some Sierra 85s at about 3800 and they were like shooting a .410 shotgun - just a spray of frags and dust out front.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Do the math. That bullet is spinning at about 248,400 RPM.
    Varmint bullets are typically designed for rapid expansion on thin skinned game spin them too fast and they expand before they get to the target. So either slow them down or chose bullets designed for thicker skin and deeper penetration.

What is the rate of twist and velocity of your 308 and 300 BLK.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    However, we very rarely smoke a bullet in our service rifles shooting a 1/7 twist at 2800 fps to 3100 fps.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    A few, well, several, decades ago to prove a point to a friend I loaded some Hornet bullets to max in a 220 Swift. They left a vapor trail to 75 yards where it ended. Never a mark on the target. He finally believed me it could be done. Vmax is made to cause devastating damage to varmints. I loaded 110 Sierras in 06 with no problems long ago and they were hammers on ghogs.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I can tell you that Hornady jackets are prone to this from personal experience. I blew up 81 of 100 75gr BTHPs in a 9 twist 22-250 Ackley Improved a couple years back and their VMAX's are not safe even in the correct twist barrels. I shoot Nosler, Berger, or Sierra through my can-equipped guns for this exact reason.

Given your application, you would actually need a much slower barrel twist. As Ed points out, a worn throat can exacerbate an already tenuous load, as can a pronounced carbon "ring" in the throat area. If you want to run light-for-caliber pills in a big case, start by going to a more appropriate barrel twist. I would say a 15 or even slower given your case volume (slower .30 blanks can be hard to find, but EXCELLENT 15 twists are available due to demand by Hunter Benchrest shooters).

I have found through experimentation that excessive jump can sometimes make an otherwise "OK" load prone to this phenomenon, but it sounds to me like you are probably pushing too short of a pill too fast through too tight of a twist. Not trying to rain on the party, just saying that matching bullet length to twist is important for best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom