Votes: 10 13.2%
    • Glock 17

Votes: 9 11.8%
    • Glock 19

Votes: 44 57.9%
    • None of the above, I would pick a...

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters
    So I'm looking at my next purchase which hopefully soon will serve duty as a carry pistol once the permit situation is finalized. Reading from previous threads, I am thinking

1.Walther p99,
    2.Glock 17 ,
    3.Glock 19,
    4.None of the above, because...

From what I've read, I really like the walther but there is no question that they are a fraction of as common as any Glock which may make magazines, holsters, parts more of a pain to get. The glock have a long time rep and of course they are all over the place to be found but I just havent learned to love them...yet. Or do you have another opinion, but why.

Thanks all for your suggestions., D.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I can't say anything about the walther, but I own a Glock 19 and it is a nice shooter, it handles well for me and goes bang everytime.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have a springfield xd compact very nice firearm. I plan to buy a second in a different caliber. That is how much i like it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Have you carried before? The hardest thing to conceal is the grip. The longer it is, the tougher it is to conceal. Consider a Glock 26.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    GLOCK 19 is the way I went from the above choices. Like the good doctor stated above the grip is the hardest thing to conceal. Your body style will dictated what will conceal well and what will not.
    Tall thin folks can get away with just about anything under a loose shirt. Short thick folks will have to consider something smaller and positioned on the body differently.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    If it's for every day civilian concealed carry I'd recommend getting the smallest gun you can effectively manage. I carry a Glock 19 everyday on the job but it's still large enough that you have to wear loose clothing to conceal it. I have a choice between the Glock 19 and the Sig 229 as duty weapons and always go for the Glock because of the reduced size and lighter weight. Although I think the Sig is a much nicer pistol, I shoot the exact same qualification scores with both weapons so I carry the one that is smaller and lighter.

For every day, off duty/civilian carry I'd go with something along the lines of a Glock 26. You want something that you will always carry and not decide to leave at home or in the car because you're not dressed for it. Think of the hot summer, wearing shorts and T-shirts, performing outdoor activities, etc. A Glock 19 or even a Glock 26 becomes pretty hard to conceal in those cirumstances. Even in winter, there are times that wearing a properly fitting suit cannot adequately conceal a larger pistol with out it bulging out or otherwise becoming obvious.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For warmer months, the Ruger LCP or LC9 are tough to beat. You can conceal an LCP while wearing a Speedo.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    G19, it's the best all-purpose Glock as far as I'm concerned. Concealable, yer the grip is still large enough for you to get your whole hand wrapped around it. Very accurate as it's only about 1/2" shorter than a G17. That being said, with the right holster iyou can conceal a G17.

My carry setup for my G19 is a Comp-Tac Minotaur, and I carry 2 G17 mags for reloads. That's 50 rounds on-board (17+17+16). Should be able to handle just about anything you would need a pistol for, save for a real zombie horde. And even then you're still pretty well outfitted. ;)

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    apples to apples, the PPQ would be closer to G17, a lot of walther people are holding out for a shortened version of the PPQ which would be more like a G19

The reason I say apples to apples beyond size is the trigger type on the PPQ is the same trigger pull each time like the glock with a similiar trigger spur safety. The P99 is DA/SA and while I like the safer DA mode for carry, it's much more practical to have one trigger pull to practice and master for a carry gun. I like Walthers, but cheaper and more plentiful accessories would make me lean toward Glock within your group selection.

That being said, when I'm in a state I can carry, a single stack Kahr CW9 is a happy medium for me. Not too bulky like a double stack, shoots well within 25 feet, light weight and descent capacity.I'm kinda anaconda that just swallowed a small calf shaped, so concealed carry is challenging...:beer:

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I'd say a Glock 36, but if you are sticking with 9mm, go for the Glock 19. I had a 17 and sold it because it didn't fit me well. Then I got a G26 put 150 rounds thru it and Put it in the safe. Then I got a G36 from JaredM1. I love shooting it! Especially Witt the nice grip job Jaredm1 put on it. I since then have shot a G19 and I liked the fact that it was a in between the 17 and 26. But as others have pointed out, it'll be difficult to hide the 19 grip because even the G26 has small tiny "bump" when iwb.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The walther is what glock wishes it could be.

Really? How so? Pretty subjective. At least here in America where ~65% of LE agencies have Glocks in their holsters. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a department that carries Walther P99/PPQs (but I'm sure there are a couple).

Glocks are a proven system, even used by US Army Special Forces and other units within our military.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the PPQ, the First Edition ones were sweet. They have a nice trigger and feel great in the hand but the lack of availability for holsters/magazines/spare or upgrade parts is slim to none. Plus the fact that the sights are very difficult to install. Many of the pistols that came from the factory with night sights had the edges of the dovetail cracked off...

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Really? How so? Pretty subjective. At least here in America where ~65% of LE agencies have Glocks in their holsters. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a department that carries Walther P99/PPQs (but I'm sure there are a couple).

Glocks are a proven system, even used by US Army Special Forces and other units within our military.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the PPQ, the First Edition ones were sweet. They have a nice trigger and feel great in the hand but the lack of availability for holsters/magazines/spare or upgrade parts is slim to none. Plus the fact that the sights are very difficult to install. Many of the pistols that came from the factory with night sights had the edges of the dovetail cracked off...
    Dont get me wrong.. glock is a great gun, but the walther is like the glock upgraded.
    better ergos
    better trigger
    better trigger reset
    different trigger configurations depending on what you want

reliability i would say is a toss up... the walthers have been around for like 14 years or so now, any problems would be widely known and blown out of proportion on the internet by now. (kind of the way people are afraid to buy 4th gen glocks = problem exaggerated) any p99 i have come across has been boringly reliable. ppq same story.

now the glocks have all kinds of aftermarket bells and whistles and great product availibilty, so you can add on all kinds of stuff for cheap. You can make a glock whatever you want it to be.

but out of the box, the walther while more expensive in just a better pistol in my opinion.

Yes glock has a huge leo market share. because its a great gun they give away for cheap. Glock also has a long reputation of quality service that i dont think anyone can deny.
    as to walther not having a leo share, I dont know why they dont have a higher share of the market, im sure price is a big part of that. As well as the fact that i dont think walther has ever gotten a huge push from S&W in this country who is their importers. Why would S&W push the p99 or ppq for leo contracts when it would just cut into their M&P sales.

of course this is all my opinion.

And im not a glock hater.. i like to make fun of glocks, but ill admit they are reliable as any pistol can be.

that said i think the market has caught up with glock over the last few years and there are better options out there at this point.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    There will not be a compact ppq released, Walther stated the pps is already available, it fills the compact market for them.

I have a p99, pps, and ppq fe, yes mags are expensive, yes there is not much aftermarket, but there are plenty of good holster options. Their ergonomics beat glock by a long shot. I cannot get comfortable enough with a glock grip to buy 1.

Try a ppq, its a joy to shoot, comp-tac holsters are now available for the ppq...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom