• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just a friendly reminder to do your own research when purchasing a C&R and don't just trust the word of the seller. I had a recent experience where a very well respected auction house posted a handgun as manufactured in 1970 (thus C&R eligible). I did my own research based on stamped date codes in the frame. Turns out it was manufactured in 1995... definitely not C&R. I had the gun transferred to an FFL-01 for legal transfer, but had I not paid attention, it could have been problematic for both the auction house seller and myself. This is the second time I've caught something that was being sold as C&R that really isn't.

I'm too pretty for prison, so I remain vigilant. It is very easy to make an honest mistake in this game... unfortunately, ATF won't be cutting anyone a break because of an honest mistake.

Stay safe, my friends.

Jul 1, 2012
    Another thing to bear in mind is that sometimes proof dates are placed well after the actual date of manufacture, especially in Europe - e.g. if the gun is imported to (or exported from) certain countries, it has to be proofed. Thus you may find a 1985 proof date on a 1960 Colt as an extreme example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom