• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    It has happened at least 4 times to me now. Every time that an auction for a magazine comes to an end before the auction for a firearm that I'm looking to buy.... I always win the magazine and loose the firearm. It just happened again. Now I have a $200 ten rounder coming for a Winchester 1907 SLR, and sure enough, someone hit buy it now on a gun I was just about to put a bid on.

I should learn... don't buy the magazines first. I now have focus for my C&R hunting, but sure enough, when I decide I really want something, the supply will suddenly dry up. Oh well. First world problem, I guess. :D

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    It is not as though that is the last Winchester 1907 SLR that will be for sale. Buying magazines before the rifle creates more of a phased approach to collecting. There is nothing wrong with that IMHO. Worst case you decide you do not want the rifle and sell the mag for what you paid or more. :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I know all about putting the cart before the horse! Trust me, if that's an original Police Supply (hope my memory is working correctly on the company name) magazine it's harder to find than the rifle. I've been looking for one for some time now and they always either sell for crazy numbers or get scooped instantly. The right rifle will come to you in time!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I know all about putting the cart before the horse! Trust me, if that's an original Police Supply (hope my memory is working correctly on the company name) magazine it's harder to find than the rifle. I've been looking for one for some time now and they always either sell for crazy numbers or get scooped instantly. The right rifle will come to you in time!

QFT. Thanks. BTW thank you for the lead on that brass manufacturer. That's going to fuel the purchase of a few more guns that I didn't want to buy because of the ammo being unobtanium. I appreciate the lead... my wife does not :D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Doctor_M, you definitely have a better problem than I do. I've got the opposite problem which is that I just bought a gun with no magazine and a limited number of resources to find a correct one. Depending on the gun, sometimes it's harder to find the mag than the gun to go with it.

Jul 1, 2012
    ^^^ This.
    It took me several years to find a Colt 1905 magazine (and then everywhere I turned for a little while they kept popping up... and then they dried up again).

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Here is a picture of my Winchester SL series of rifles. 100+ year old semi-auto "assault rifles". From left to right:

1905 SL in .32 Winchester Self Loading (no mag)
    1905 SL in .32 Winchester Self Loading (5 round mag)
    1905 SL in .35 Winchester Self Loading (5 rounds mag)
    1907 SL in .351 Winchester Self Loading (10 round mag. I have 5 mags)
    1910 SL in .401 Winchester Self Loading (4 round mag)

T, If you also bought a mag for a 1905 SL in .32, I'll sell you my gun that is missing a mag. :)

Attachments

• Winchester SL series-2.jpg
      Winchester SL series-2.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 209

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    No harm in it and if you decide to bail as long as you were not irrational in your auction behavior you will likely end up ahead or at worst even. Think of it as potential trade bait. I tried to buy Mawkie's 1907 but as soon as my gaze landed on it he said NO!

BTW who made the rack? Looking for something like that.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    No harm in it and if you decide to bail as long as you were not irrational in your auction behavior you will likely end up ahead or at worst even. Think of it as potential trade bait. I tried to buy Mawkie's 1907 but as soon as my gaze landed on it he said NO!

BTW who made the rack? Looking for something like that.

There are limits to friendship! ;)

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    OK
    Since I have you guys semi cornered here,,,,,
    Who here loads for the 35SLR?
    I have a Model 1905 that was the wife's grandfathers and I want to make it bark again.
    Nothing special, mixed numbers, bore isn't great, but the rifle looks good from the outside and I have come up with 4-5 round mags over the years.
    I have dies, bullets and load data but brass is just not out there. (I have half a box of old Remington rounds and a few spent cases)

I read a thread years ago on another forum (that I can't find anymore) where the guy claimed to make brass from .223 brass.
    Has anyone here tried that?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    OK
    Since I have you guys semi cornered here,,,,,
    Who here loads for the 35SLR?
    I have a Model 1905 that was the wife's grandfathers and I want to make it bark again.
    Nothing special, mixed numbers, bore isn't great, but the rifle looks good from the outside and I have come up with 4-5 round mags over the years.
    I have dies, bullets and load data but brass is just not out there. (I have half a box of old Remington rounds and a few spent cases)

I read a thread years ago on another forum (that I can't find anymore) where the guy claimed to make brass from .223 brass.
    Has anyone here tried that?

Could you buy a round here, and mic it to see if cut down .223 would work? http://www.ammo-one.com/35WSLs.html

Jul 1, 2012
    I'm not a reloading expert but how do you make a rimless .223 into a semi-rimless case?

Buffalo Arms looks like they reformed theirs from .38 Special cases (of course it's out of stock).

Attachments

• 35wsl.jpg
      35wsl.jpg
      28.7 KB · Views: 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads