• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So here's the deal. I have a NFA trust. I want to buy 2 suppressors and file a form 1. The 2 suppressors I want to get from Silencer Shop(SS). Engage has a SS kiosk that supposedly does all the paperwork for me. Anybody used this magic machine yet? I called SS and they said it really was that simple but I'm skeptical. I don't mind driving to Engage and having my stuff sent there but I want to make sure I got everything straight prior to driving 70 miles each way. Then my next question is can I use this kiosk to file a Form 1 for SBR or do I have to get pictures and print cards? If I have to do print cards and photos for the Form 1 for me and the other guy on my trust it almost isn't worth driving to use the kiosk. Sorry if this makes no sense. I'm new to the NFA world and it makes the MD HQL seem orderly and sensible, almost. :envy:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So here's the deal. I have a NFA trust. I want to buy 2 suppressors and file a form 1. The 2 suppressors I want to get from Silencer Shop(SS). Engage has a SS kiosk that supposedly does all the paperwork for me. Anybody used this magic machine yet? I called SS and they said it really was that simple but I'm skeptical. I don't mind driving to Engage and having my stuff sent there but I want to make sure I got everything straight prior to driving 70 miles each way. Then my next question is can I use this kiosk to file a Form 1 for SBR or do I have to get pictures and print cards? If I have to do print cards and photos for the Form 1 for me and the other guy on my trust it almost isn't worth driving to use the kiosk. Sorry if this makes no sense. I'm new to the NFA world and it makes the MD HQL seem orderly and sensible, almost. :envy:

Best thing to do is call Andy and ask him directly. I bought 2 suppressors from Engage, but they were suppressors they had in the shop, so Silencer Shop was not involved at all. Engage helped me file the Form 1 at their shop at the same time and when I say helped me, they held my hand and walked me through it step by step.

Are you buying the suppressors through the trust as well? If so, then it's my understanding that now, anything done through a trust will require the holder of the trust and all trustees to submit photos and fingerprints.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this one.

Give me a call if you have questions. I'm out of the hospital about 4:30 tomorrow and am off all day Wednesday.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yes, I've used it as a "responsible person" with a trust I'm on. It really is very easy. The kiosk will let you fill out the necessary information (or you can do it online ahead of time). SS will send you an e-mail with a QR code that you can either print, or just scan from your phone at the kiosk. It'll take you to your trust where you can again, fill out your info if need be, do your live-scan finger prints, and upload a passport-style picture which you can take with their cell phone app. Toughest part is getting "good" roll prints. The machine will tell you whether a print is "poor" "fair" "good" or "excellent" IIRC. You can practice as much as you want to get good prints. Once everyone on the trust has their information, prints, and pictures in, it generates the paperwork that you can sign electronically (tablet, phone, mouse) in .pdf form. It really is a piece of cake.

Edit: As for SBR form 1, I don't believe you can do it from the kiosk, but don't quote me on that.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you are buying through your trust, all responsible parties will require prints and photos. If you buy as an individual, you will need prints and photos. The prints can be done at the kiosk. I bought an SBS through an IP and they had me use the kiosk for my prints. He took a pic of with my phone that I uploaded through an app. The dealer entered in the info for the F4 online. I assume if I was using a trust, I would have to upload it to SS. Once everything is done, SS submits the F4 and accompanying info. The rest is waiting. Once I figured it out, it was quite easy.
    Having the ability to do the prints and photo at the store saved my a lot of time and effort and driving and was worth the minimal service charge.
    BTW, if your hands a really dry like mine, take some windex to spray on your hands and wipe it off before the prints. It works great. I always have trouble with live scan.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So the kiosk really is easy to use but I'm still stuck with paper cards for the form 1 SBR. Now I gotta decide if the drive is worth it. Also where do you guys get your fingerprint cards?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Best thing to do is call Andy and ask him directly. I bought 2 suppressors from Engage, but they were suppressors they had in the shop, so Silencer Shop was not involved at all. Engage helped me file the Form 1 at their shop at the same time and when I say helped me, they held my hand and walked me through it step by step.

Are you buying the suppressors through the trust as well? If so, then it's my understanding that now, anything done through a trust will require the holder of the trust and all trustees to submit photos and fingerprints.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this one.

Give me a call if you have questions. I'm out of the hospital about 4:30 tomorrow and am off all day Wednesday.

Thanks I may give you a call tomorrow if I don't get this laying flat today.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    So I purchased from Silencer Shop and chose not to use their kiosk.
    Basically the process was mostly done through links provide in emails. I added all the responsible persons and they got emails explaining to follow the links to fill in their info and upload a passport photo on their website. *Note make sure all you responsible persons have a unique email address as we ran into a problem with the in-laws sharing an email address. I requested FD-258 cards from the ATF but you can buy them from SS for $6 which includes a return envelope or the fingerprinting place should have cards as well. I went to the Charles Country Sheriff Fingerprinting office in the mall next to Dicks and paid $20 a card (2 needed per person).

The ATF took a few weeks to mail out the cards but I requested extra so if you need some I could send them to you.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So now I'm confused as to what goes into the Form 1 for Name and Address of Original Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm (if any) Section 4.a. I'm SBRing a PSA lower so would I put PSA info in that box? Also do I use the original serial number that PSA gave it or do I have to have a new one engraved? I know I have to engrave the trust name and city/state. Do I have to get the lower engraved prior to sending the Form 1 in or can I do it after sending in paperwork but before approval?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    My approved Form 1 for a Palmetto lower (I e-Filed it back when you could do that) says the following:

4a: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY, UNITED STATES

You can use the serial number that Palmetto put on there. You do not have to give it a new one.
    You don't have to have the lower engraved until you build the SBR. I waited until I got my stamp back, but you could do it any time. I can't tell where you're located, but there are plenty of shops with laser engravers that'll do a great job for you in about 15 minutes while you wait.

Hate Work

Nov 29, 2016
    CentralMD.
    My approved Form 1 for a Palmetto lower (I e-Filed it back when you could do that) says the following:

4a: PALMETTO STATE ARMORY, UNITED STATES

You can use the serial number that Palmetto put on there. You do not have to give it a new one.
    You don't have to have the lower engraved until you build the SBR. I waited until I got my stamp back, but you could do it any time. I can't tell where you're located, but there are plenty of shops with laser engravers that'll do a great job for you in about 15 minutes while you wait.

Be careful with laser engraving. They "etching" has to be .003". A 100 watt laser won't get deep enough. I know. I have one. A CNC rotary engraver is what I used.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Be careful with laser engraving. They "etching" has to be .003". A 100 watt laser won't get deep enough. I know. I have one. A CNC rotary engraver is what I used.

The shops that offer NFA engraving all have laser engravers that engrave to the requisite depth.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Just an update. Using the Silencer Shop kiosk was pretty simple and they will also mail you fingerprint cards for Form 1 to file yourself once they have your prints. The process through them was easier than I thought it would be and they were very responsive when I called and emailed. Now the long wait til approval so I can go back to Engage and get my cans!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, so I could stop by Engage, and use the kiosk to take prints, and have SS send me printed cards?

Cool.

Or do I also do a Form 4 purchase through them????

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Hmm, so I could stop by Engage, and use the kiosk to take prints, and have SS send me printed cards?

Cool.

Or do I also do a Form 4 purchase through them????

Form 4 they (SS) do all the paperwork as long as you use one of their certified dealers (Engage is). I don't know if you can just use the kiosk to get fingerprints and then have SS send you cards to use for something else. I bought my cans through them so they had my prints for the Form 4s then mailed me copies so I can file my own form 1s.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    The AR-15 Podcast had an interview with a guy from Silencer Shop awhile ago (year maybe). It sounded like they have really thought things out and come up with a comprehensive approach. I think Baltimore's Best Pawn has a kiosk too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom