• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Lookin for a set of two way radios and I have a kind of specific list. Anybody have experience with anything that fits the bill? I found the ones below at Cabela's that look like they will work but wanted to see if anybody has actual experience with a set they like.

Must haves:
    -weatherproof or waterproof
    -take AA batteries
    -25 mile range (I know you'll never get that out of them but figured this was a good baseline)

Nice to have:
    -Emergency radio capable
    -Made in USA (probably never happen with electronics) :sad20:

Cobras I was looking at http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...RODUCT_BAZAARVOICE_REVIEW_NUM|1?WTz_stype=GNU

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Lookin for a set of two way radios and I have a kind of specific list. Anybody have experience with anything that fits the bill? I found the ones below at Cabela's that look like they will work but wanted to see if anybody has actual experience with a set they like.

Must haves:
    -weatherproof or waterproof
    -take AA batteries
    -25 mile range (I know you'll never get that out of them but figured this was a good baseline)

25 miles out of a handheld only works if you can use a repeater mounted high up on a tower (200ft+).

Short of a private repeater setup in one of the business bands or on GMRS, your only option is amateur radio.

Those 'bubble pack' FRS radios have a theoretical range of 25 miles if both of them are suspended in outer space. In reality, they are a little bit past shouting distance. From the tree-stand to the truck or the county fair entrance to the concession stand.

Nice to have:
    -Emergency radio capable

There are some FRS emergency radio combos.

-Made in USA (probably never happen with electronics) :sad20:

The options are china and china. Maybe Thailand.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B5ZR4G/ref=psdc_912322_t2_B007B5ZPGG

Midland.

I own four of these and they work great. Obviously 25 miles only happens if you happen to be standing on top of the Sears Tower and your hunting buddy is 25 miles out on Lake Michigan.

The first set I got are cammo. The second set I bought are black. I stopped buying stuff like walkie talkies, flash lights, knives, etc. in cammo because if/when I drop the item it's a pain in the ass to find it on the ground.

Yeah, Made in the USA probably isn't going to happen.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Like everyone said, real world range will be a lot closer to .25mi than to 2.5mi .

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I seem to recall BaoFang had programmable radios that can do everything from FRS to ham frequencies.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    There was a thread last year about FRS/GMRS pros and cons...

Worth looking up and reading.

ETA: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=174254

You are good, my friend.

I'd recommend an amateur hand held radio (referred to as a H/T 'handy-talkie'), it has all the benefits of a FRS/GMRS, plus you can talk on real HAM radio frequencies (with a license). Can talk on FRS/GMRS with no license or their little write in license, I think thats GMRS only?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I seem to recall BaoFang had programmable radios that can do everything from FRS to ham frequencies.

Yep. What I was trying to say.

Isn't it FRS is no license required, and GMRS is free, or small one time payment for lifetime license? I forget because I have my eye on HAM.

I have and use MURS already, which is as good or better than FRS or GMRS; also consider MURS. But HAM is best.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I'll put this one out for consideration.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I have not used it but If I buy a bubble pack FRS/GMRS this would probably be it.

Waterproof at IP-67 standard
    Takes 3 AA batteries
    Range for all of these FRS type radios will be similar
    Made in USA? not going to happen...

One big advantage over most other bubble pack radios is that one this can use GMRS repeaters.

As you probably know, to be legal on the repeater channels, you need a FCC GMRS license ($90/5years) and permission from the repeaters owner.

There is still a difference between the MS355R and a full-up GMRS radio (commercial UHF radio programmed to GMRS frequency set). The walkabouts have 1.5W radiated power and 2.5kHz bandwith, a full GMRS handheld will have up to usually 5W and 5kHz bandwith. This will give you a better range and voice transmission will be louder. Of course, cost is multiples of a bubble pack.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    If you have enough land that it is 25 miles or more across it. You might hop on eBay and find an old simplex repeater and set it up on the highest point in the middle of your property.

We don't use them for comm but I do have some old radios that came from a prison. With a remote antenna ran up a PVC pipe to keep a "line of sight" they will work over terrain for about 3 miles but that's a lot less than 25.

We use them by bait to detect hog movement.

attachment-1.jpg

attachment.jpg

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Thanks for the info everyone. I know nothing about radios. Would the baofeng be able to handle the outdoors? Don't want something that is going to break first time out. As for a repeater or any of that stuff I plan to use these when traveling so setting up something permanent isn't really in the plans. Also I don't want to get in trouble for using frequencies or such that I'm not supposed to. If I get the baofeng is there an easy guide to what channels I can use? Guessing in SHTF just use whatever you want?

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Looks good. But like the above post, I would get it at Amazon. I got a cobra 2 way radio, it's works for basic purpose and getting weather report. My son got a Motorola one for his birthday, from a friend, with the recharging base and wouldn't charge after a year. And it has rechargeable batteries built in. Make sure you get the replaceable battery ones. If on camping trip, the rechargers are useless, but you can carry extra batteries

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I don't want to get in trouble for using frequencies or such that I'm not supposed to. If I get the baofeng is there an easy guide to what channels I can use? Guessing in SHTF just use whatever you want?

Without a license I think you are limited to CB, FRS and MURS

Transmitting on any GMRS channel or on a FRS channel above 0.5w will require a GMRS license even if its just a bubble pack radio.

I believe the Baofeng and most other Ham handhelds are not legal for transmitting FRS/GMRS even though they may be capable.

I'm just starting with this stuff please someone correct me if this is wrong.

GunLvrPhD

Apr 16, 2008
    Falls Church, VA
    It is really worthwhile to get a HAM licence to use the 2-meter bands on the now common and cheap Chinese handheld radios. Once you have the license you have it for life (renewal every 10 years is painless).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom