• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've got a good friend going to one of those lovely middle east desert areas in August and I bought him a Ka-Bar Becker BK17. I own 3 or 4 Beckers and love the knives. My real question is what should I give him to sharpen it with? I own probably 9 knife sharpeners at any given moment but can't decide on what to get him. I have no idea if he even knows how to sharpen a knife properly. So one of the smith pocket pals (kinda crap but easy to use) or a medium grit stone (no idea if he can freehand) or a whole Spyderco set to keep in his gear locker or something he can carry in the field? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I really like the Lansky Dog Bone sharpeners. They come in different variations for different brands of knives. Sharpens straight edges and serrated. I own the multi and the spyderco variations. Easily slipped into a pocket.
    Dogbones

I also have a few of these GI Style pocket stones I keep in the vehicles and at my desk and backpack. Very small, about 2" long.
    GI Stone

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I ran across this company at the great American outdoor show. Former Marine in Va. He makes great knives too. http://www.vablade.com/index.cfm/category/1/knife-sharpeners.cfm I'm on a waiting list for the Crosscut skinning knife.

Read this review by an Infantryman:

Wardog Blade Sharpener
    by Jon Craig from Virginia on Jan 20, 2012
    This is a top of the line sharpener!! Being an infantryman in the Marine Corps as well as an avid hunter, the size and ease of this sharpener is outstanding! I can put a dogtag silencer around the edge (the same as a regular dogtag) and wear it the same way as my military dog tags. I have used this sharpener on several different sized knives that I own, and within several swipes the edges are razor sharp. In addition, this is a handy tool to keep on hand when bow hunting, as I have used the broadhead wrench feature to remove them from arrows along with resharpening of the blades. Excellent product that I will definitely recommend to everyone!!

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Gatco Tri-seps are another version of the dog bones with angles built into the rubber ends. They come in ceramic and diamond. The rubber angled ends help find the correct sharpening angle. Similiar to the spyderco sharpmaker.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The one from Vablade is too expensive. It simply incorporates carbide to put a quick edge on knives. Ebay has a number of very similar sharpeners at much cheaper prices. And Lansky puts out a small ceramic kit with pre-drilled holes on the top to ensure proper angles. I have one that hasn't been cleaned in ages and it puts a more refined edge on my knives, including one with a 9-inch+ blade. Carbide sharpeners are quick and effective, but I wouldn't use them regularly on my good knives.

The one from Vablade is too expensive. It simply incorporates carbide to put a quick edge on knives. Ebay has a number of very similar sharpeners at much cheaper prices. And Lansky puts out a small ceramic kit with pre-drilled holes on the top to ensure proper angles. I have one that hasn't been cleaned in ages and it puts a more refined edge on my knives, including one with a 9-inch+ blade. Carbide sharpeners are quick and effective, but I wouldn't use them regularly on my good knives.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So just a quick update. I got him the gatco Tri-steps and myself a mini dog bone. I decided the mini DMT were gonna be too hard to use. The tri-steps is great cuz it sets the angle for you. It's bigger than the dog bone but not bulky. The dog bone will touch up a knife to a razor. I love that thing. Actually just ordered 2 more. (yes I have a problem :) ) On another note will someone order this knife below and tell me how much it sucks so I don't have to buy one?

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS2...-folding-knife-blade-od-green-griv-ex-handles

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom