• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So a few friends and I are planning a DIY trip to Saskatchewan this Sep/Oct. The big sticking point right now is whether we drive or fly. I want to fly for obvious reasons. The problem is that if we fly we can't take decoys. Apparently we can rent decoys from an outfitter up there but they are around $1000 for a week rental. There is a Cabelas is Saskatoon so I was saying we should just buy shells when we get there and give them away/sell em cheap before we leave. Another possibility is shipping our decoys there via freight. This has its own set of logistics problems but I'm working to get some quotes. Anybody ever done a trip like this or have any ideas on how to get decoys there? Thanks

Options:
    Drive Decoys - Free (but a 25 hour car trip :( )
    Rent decoys there: $1000
    Buy shells there: approx. $400
    Ship freight: TBD

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So a few friends and I are planning a DIY trip to Saskatchewan this Sep/Oct. The big sticking point right now is whether we drive or fly. I want to fly for obvious reasons. The problem is that if we fly we can't take decoys. Apparently we can rent decoys from an outfitter up there but they are around $1000 for a week rental. There is a Cabelas is Saskatoon so I was saying we should just buy shells when we get there and give them away/sell em cheap before we leave. Another possibility is shipping our decoys there via freight. This has its own set of logistics problems but I'm working to get some quotes. Anybody ever done a trip like this or have any ideas on how to get decoys there? Thanks

Options:
    Drive Decoys - Free (but a 25 hour car trip :( )
    Rent decoys there: $1000
    Buy shells there: approx. $400
    Ship freight: TBD

As much as it sucks, I would probably drive. Unless I wasn't planning on bringing any game back home with me. If you can't bring game back, it would definitely be easier to fly and rent the decoys.

What would the estimated trip be for fuel and possible lodging against flying round trip, renting decoys and buying shells there?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    You really need to figure out how much freight will be before you can make a decision. What will you do with the shells if you buy them there? Still have to ship them home, unless you return them after useing them which is shady but would save you a ton of money.
    I had to ship freight for work before and it's not too bad logisticaly. The freight terminal will probably be a short drive from the airport.

I've driven to colorado the past two years to elk hunt and it sucks. We drove straight through and it's exhausting. Fly or take your time getting there and you'll have a better time.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    As much as it sucks, I would probably drive. Unless I wasn't planning on bringing any game back home with me. If you can't bring game back, it would definitely be easier to fly and rent the decoys.

What would the estimated trip be for fuel and possible lodging against flying round trip, renting decoys and buying shells there?

Figure 2 trucks for 4000 round trip miles each its about $1500 in gas. As for bringing game back I planned to just buy a yeti up there and pay to fly it back.

You really need to figure out how much freight will be before you can make a decision. What will you do with the shells if you buy them there? Still have to ship them home, unless you return them after useing them which is shady but would save you a ton of money.
    I had to ship freight for work before and it's not too bad logisticaly. The freight terminal will probably be a short drive from the airport.

I've driven to colorado the past two years to elk hunt and it sucks. We drove straight through and it's exhausting. Fly or take your time getting there and you'll have a better time.

We would likely just give them away or sell them for cheap before we left. I'm hoping freight comes in at a decent price so we can go that route.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Figure 2 trucks for 4000 round trip miles each its about $1500 in gas. As for bringing game back I planned to just buy a yeti up there and pay to fly it back.

I was going to suggest that if you do fly, mail your gear home and take coolers on the plane as checked bags.

When I went Elk hunting, the guide was telling us that he and his family would go to Alaska every year to Salmon fish with a buddy of his.

He said they would mail all their stuff back the cheapest way possible then load the coolers up with frozen fish and pay for it as baggage.

Not sure if they used dry ice or gel packs but I'm pretty sure they used regular coolers? I don't know if that would work for you guys if you fly or not?

I know those Yeti coolers are expensive as hell!!!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Being the old grumpy guy that I am, I would fly. I would not be in a good way after that trip by car/truck. I would rather spend a few dollars more and arrive comfortable and refreshed than to drive and arrive tired.

Just my personal opinion. Whichever decision you make I hope you have a great time. Enjoy!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Anybody know of a freight company that I can contact and get quotes? So far the ones I have contacted haven't been much help on getting an estimate.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm not sure you can ship the ammo via freight to Canada. You may have to ship to an address with signature, if it's at all possible. I've read on other forums about shipping ammo to and from Canada and I'm not sure it would pay to do this.

Good Luck!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Did you try DHL?

Trying to.

I'm not sure you can ship the ammo via freight to Canada. You may have to ship to an address with signature, if it's at all possible. I've read on other forums about shipping ammo to and from Canada and I'm not sure it would pay to do this.

Good Luck!

Not worried about shipping ammo. Just decoys. There is a Cabelas in Saskatoon so we will just buy ammo there.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Personally, I'd first put a "wanted" ad on the Saskatoon Craigslist:

http://saskatoon.craigslist.ca/

To either rent or buy decoys for that time period. If that falls through, you can always buy some shells up there. I'd also post a wanted ad with these guys:

http://www.saskatoonwildlifefederation.com/courses-clubs/saskatoon-rifle-and-revolver/

See if you get any hits. Someone would probably be very happy to get $200 to rent their decoys for a couple days. A good buddy of mine is from Saskatoon, I'll ask him if he has any other ideas too.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Personally, I'd first put a "wanted" ad on the Saskatoon Craigslist:

http://saskatoon.craigslist.ca/

To either rent or buy decoys for that time period. If that falls through, you can always buy some shells up there. I'd also post a wanted ad with these guys:

http://www.saskatoonwildlifefederation.com/courses-clubs/saskatoon-rifle-and-revolver/

See if you get any hits. Someone would probably be very happy to get $200 to rent their decoys for a couple days. A good buddy of mine is from Saskatoon, I'll ask him if he has any other ideas too.

I like the craigslist idea. Think I'll try that out. Thanks

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If I were you I'd get a couple books on how to do this off of Amazon. I plan all of my trips that way. It's all about working smarter, not harder. Someone has already figured all this out. Read what they did.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Drive. Too many things to go wrong flying.

Travelling by car/truck for 30 to 38 hours, crossing the border with firearms. Possibly coming home with wild game, crossing the border again with firearms. Another 30-38 hours to get back home. Yes, sounds like an easy time, not much could go wrong there.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Travelling by car/truck for 30 to 38 hours, crossing the border with firearms. Possibly coming home with wild game, crossing the border again with firearms. Another 30-38 hours to get back home. Yes, sounds like an easy time, not much could go wrong there.

Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Not saying you or members of your hunting party will have any reason to worry about this but I do know of other hunters who's hunting trip was ruined. Canada is very strict about not letting in people with criminal records. Things that you wouldn't think would be problem. I know of one group where one of the members was refused entry into Canada due to a DWI. They drove so pretty much everyone got screwed and they ended up turning around and going home.

Good luck with the decoys, I would think you could get a guide to rent you decoys.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Make sure your ducks are in a row for bringing in firearms. As was already pointed out, make sure no one in your party has any surprises in their criminal record that will cause problems. DUI is a felony in Canada and will keep you out if you haven't requested a waiver in advance.

You may want to try asking for info on the Canadian hunters forum on the refuge. http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=12

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Being the old grumpy guy that I am, I would fly. I would not be in a good way after that trip by car/truck. I would rather spend a few dollars more and arrive comfortable and refreshed than to drive and arrive tired.

Just my personal opinion. Whichever decision you make I hope you have a great time. Enjoy!

Waterfowling is all about being tired and grumpy as hell. The drive would have you in the right mindset before you even had to get out in the cold rain/snow. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom