• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    Looking for a closer indoor range as is gets colder. This one is only 15 minutes away.

Anyone shoot there?
    What is your opinion of the place, people, anything else you care to share?
    What is the max caliber? Pistols only?

I notice they are not in the Industry partner list. I tend to shoot on weekdays after work around 4-5pm to start.

thanks

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I've shot there plenty and used to have a membership.

It's a decent indoor range. Most of their employees are cool, some are asshats. I believe that all pistol calibers are OK - including rifles in pistol calibers. The range itself isn't really patrolled by the staff much, so you do tend to see people do some stupid stuff - especially later in the evenings and weekends. I've actually left early a couple times because I felt that people near me were being unsafe.

But on the flip-side, I've meet some very cool and friendly people there are well, including several other MDS members.

There are several threads on here regarding On Target if you search.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Ive shot there numerous times. Nice range. The staff is mostly friendly, especially when renting. Not all of them are the brightest bulbs as far as sales go. I think I left early 1 or 2 times because of people around me doing dumb stuff, you find this every where though. Nice place that is local in my opinion.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    First, my impressions:

I like to shoot there - it's one of the closer ranges to me.

The staff there seems knowledgable but their employee turnover is high, so sometimes you get a newer employee and they don't follow the same protocol as other employees.

The range is clean, the air circulation is good.

Sometimes other patrons will shoot sideways (like a "gangster"), flash their laser all around, rapid fire all over the place (had one hit my target, as his was only 25ft out but mine was 50ft), or do something else not quite safe.

I haven't heard of anyone being injured there though, so there's that. They're pretty quick to point out the rules to people not following them.

No cell phones, especially no pictures taken in the shop or on the firing line.

Overall, I'm happy to go there. I just wish it were closer than 45 mins for me!

2. As for calibers, etc., they'll allow any pistol caliber, but only .22lr for rifles. I have shot my AR there, but only with the .22 conversion bolt in place. The range is only 75ft long, so not long enough for larger rifle firing.

Hope that helps!

-John

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have different experiences each time I go.

Last time, they were busy sweeping my brass forward of the line, even after I mentioned I wanted them for reloads.

My son, 15 1/2, and a experienced shooter was given a hard time. I wasn't leaning over his shoulder at one point. I was helping the two new shooters in our group. Some folks just live by the book, without asking questions.

I much prefer going to Freestate range, even though it is a longer drive, and more expensive. I can shoot my .223 at Freestate as well. Not at OnTarget.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    The facility and staff are fine. The patrons scare me sometimes...they can be unsafe from time to time.

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I've gone to On Target to both use the range and to purchase regulated and non-regulated firearms. The people who work there seem to be pretty decent. The range itself is sufficient - lighting and ventilation are both ok. There are a total of 16 firing positions. Firing distances are 25 ft min to 25 yds max. Before the Oct 1 change in laws, On Target was good about releasing after 7 days as long as you signed a paper acknowledging they were not responsible for buying back the firearm if your background check failed. All in all, I like doing business with them.

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge

I much prefer going to Freestate range, even though it is a longer drive, and more expensive. I can shoot my .223 at Freestate as well. Not at OnTarget.

Freestate is my range of choice and I make the drive quite often, but i95 north can be dense to say the least and the tunnel rates just to get there. I shoot twice a week, sometimes more.

Watdahec

Flipside
    Oct 31, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Decent range, im a frequent customer, i just hope they'll work on their lighting and maybe a little ventilation. I only had one almost altercation with one of their employee (poor kid must be new) but overall, it's a friendly place. Try them out, i might see you there one weekend.

I checked their website and could not find basic what guns/calibers are/are not allowed! Maybe I missed it

Policy used to be Rifles "only" chambered in handgun calibers,not sure if that's changed.

I've been shooting there since they were in Glen Burnie on average once a week and never had an issue (I've been slacking lately though :sad20:).Most of the employees are laid back as long as you follow the rules.The only times I've seen them get nasty is when someone opens both doors to the range simultaneously (sign has been down awhile)or when a someone does something unsafe but that's understandable.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    It's ok. Close to my office, so I go by during my lunch break from time to time. As others have said, staff is generally good, but they never monitor the range. I've caught quite a bit of brass from folks not holding proper lane position. All in all it's pretty good.

Just make sure not to keep both doors open at once!

I definitely prefer HAP... much cheaper :)

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    My wife and I have a family membership and shoot there frequently. I would have to say that the lanes are only decent, the lighting and ventilation could be better. The staff has always been friendly and professional with us.
    I am pretty sure that any pistol caliber can be shot there, I have shot my .44 magnum as well as my pistol caliber carbines (9mm and .40) with no issues.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    You can shoot rifles in any "pistol caliber". I shoot my M1 carbine there sometimes. Last time i went they were not allowing people to shoot an AR with the 22 pistol conversion kit. Apparently they were pissed about someone recently switching out the insert and damaging the backstop with 223.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I shot there twice a few years ago. Didn't think it was a safe environment and never returned. No problems with the staff or any patrons...just my gut feeling after seeing all the nicks and dings from rounds that never found the target/impact area.

Last edited:

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Looking for a closer indoor range as is gets colder. This one is only 15 minutes away.

Anyone shoot there?
    What is your opinion of the place, people, anything else you care to share?
    What is the max caliber? Pistols only?

I notice they are not in the Industry partner list. I tend to shoot on weekdays after work around 4-5pm to start.

thanks

OP, I'd recommend that you go and try it out and see if you like it. 4-5PM during the week is a good time. Later can get sketchy as I mentioned in my post above.

They will safety check your firearms, so make sure they are unloaded. You don't have to buy their ammo or anything, so bring your own. They also have plenty of paper targets to choose from if you don't bring your own.

Big Moose

Apr 9, 2013
    Severn, MD
    Decent range, Staff is generally friendly, very busy on the weekends. I've purchased firearms there and used the range many times with no issues except the occasional long wait when going on a Saturday. It gets the job done when I'm only looking to shoot handguns and don't feel like driving to MSAR.

Blawson

Apr 18, 2013
    Severn
    I like on target. It's always been my range of choice since I started shooting. The employees are nice and helpful. Especially when I was in the learning stages. Like the other guy said, don't take pictures. I've seen staff flip out on a tourist for taking one. I guess it's for privacy reasons.

Anyways if you're close, I'd recommend it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom