Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old September 24th, 2021, 08:09 AM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
Congrats...sweet gun.

Is the trigger aftermarket? It looks newer to me.

I assume the rails needed to be installed by a 'smith back in the day. I can't imagine Remington would have had pre-tapped for that front rail.
Thanks. Trigger is stock, has a trigger shoe on it which was a common add on for target rifles back then.
Winchester factory drilled and tapped the varmint and target rifles for multiple scope and sight options, most of the varmints came with the Unertl blocks as it was considered the scope for the time.
Rifle is also tapped for modern scope mount and tapped for Redfield micrometer sights.

Last edited by Augie; September 27th, 2021 at 07:08 AM.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2021, 01:51 PM #22

Finally got to spend some time at the range today, looks like it will be a shooter, tried a few different weight bullets and looks like its liking the 75 to 100 grain more than the 58.
First time I've had a 2" Unertl and this scope is amazingly clear, bright and crisp. Target is a 100 yard 10 shot group with a 75 grain Hornady Vmax, a 100 grain Hornady did not do bad also, with proper load development should be around 1/2 moa rifle, not bad for its age.
Attached Images

Last edited by Augie; October 14th, 2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old October 14th, 2021, 05:37 PM #23
Mike3888

Mike3888

Beautiful gun and good shooting. I bet that thing would be close to a clover leaf with a 85 Sierra HP or 87 vmax. Around 43 grains of IMR 4831. Never seen a 243 that won’t group that. Been shooting that load for many years and never found anything better. Thanks for sharing the update.
Mike3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2021, 05:49 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3888 View Post
Beautiful gun and good shooting. I bet that thing would be close to a clover leaf with a 85 Sierra HP or 87 vmax. Around 43 grains of IMR 4831. Never seen a 243 that won’t group that. Been shooting that load for many years and never found anything better. Thanks for sharing the update.

Thanks, would like try that weight bullet but a variety of bullets are damn near impossible to find right now.
Old October 14th, 2021, 08:20 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Thanks. Trigger is stock, has a trigger shoe on it which was a common add on for target rifles back then.
Winchester factory drilled and tapped the varmint and target rifles for multiple scope and sight options, most of the varmints came with the Unertl blocks as it was considered the scope for the time.
Rifle is also tapped for modern scope mount and tapped for Redfield micrometer sights.
Yes, that's nice, I'm glad you're enjoying it. They also had a target grade factory trigger usually marked with a T or TARGET. I'm thinking I should have bought it then I laugh at myself. I have a 300 Bull Gun that's equally as nice waiting on my love. I had a bunch of old 70's I never shot but I really want to get the 300 H&H going.
There was a Vietnam sniper story I recall where the soldier had a Winchester 70 in 30-06 I think with a Unertl. He kept a box of spiders and would use the spider webs to rebuild the reticle himself once and awhile. Enjoy!
pre64hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles