• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Got out today up near Worton. Got soaked and just made it out before the bad part of the storm hit. Managed to get 11 with just under a box of shells before we were rained out. Anybody else make it out?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’m excited but probably won’t make it out until the end of the month when the farmer cuts the fields

Congrats on the 11

I got a pigeon does that count?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Got out today up near Worton. Got soaked and just made it out before the bad part of the storm hit. Managed to get 11 with just under a box of shells before we were rained out. Anybody else make it out?

No bird hunting today, three potential twisters in the area.
    Got one out deer hunting though.
    Regular diehard.
    Prolly hit some watermelon and sunflower fields later on this week.
    Lots of birds in the area, will be nice to get out.
    Sounds like you had a great time.

cloud.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What are people seeing dove wise this year? I have been hearing from friends that dove hunting is not what it used to be, but maybe that only applies to this one area and the doves are plentiful elsewhere.

Been a while since I was able to shoot my limit on opening day within an hour or two. Heck, been a while since I have been able to kill a limit at all, and it isn't because of terrible shooting. Just not seeing many doves over the past couple of years.

My dad hunted a farm on Labor Day that we have been hunting for 30+ years. Used to be a dove mecca, and he did not see a single one in the air the 3 hours he was there from 3:00 to 6:00 on Labor Day. I had already been by the farm in August and saw zero dove activity, so I did not even bother trying to find the time to hunt that farm the first week of the season.

What are you guys seeing out there?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Doves move around a lot in the same area but not always to a certain spot.
    Even traditionally good spots can go dry from time to time. It's just timing for when you happen to be there.

For instance, they just cut sweet corn in one particular field and its like a desert there. Deer aren't even coming out into it.
    Right down the road, it looks like an aerodrome with more than one type of bird flying around in flocks.
    Go back to the first field in a couple of weeks and the scenario will be entirely reversed minus the flocks of swallows.
    Ride around and glass/look and you'll see.
    They're actually all over the place just not always where you want them to be.
    Thats why you need a couple of places to go for best case scenario, in case its slow just move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom