• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I used washing soda for the first time simmering in a stainless pot - very effective at degreasing and loosening the membranes fast. I kept the water from coming to a boil also. While watching the simmering flesh, drink beer and admire how lucky I was to pull off the shot and retrieve that rutting buck.
    i "simmer" till majority of meat is gone then i used 1/4 cup washing soda per gallon, only thing is dont go over 45 min. After washing soda is added. Any meat or cartilage left should come off easy and rinse off. For final white use 40% peroxide and bleach powder 50/50 mix then apply as a paste to white part of skull. Let sit for 24hrs then rinse off.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've buried them and dug them up a year later. (Your piece of rebar is a good idea. Wish I had thought of that.) Works great. The only issue is that it is not a pristine white. One I bleached with Clorox. Next time, I think I will look into hydrogen peroxide.
    I did a full year just out of simplicity. Bury one in Nov, and year later go to bury a second one and remember the first!

Look up 40 volume peroxide(for hair bleaching). Use the powder with it. Bleach will turn it yellow. Peroxide will give that pristine white you are looking for.

https://www.mckenziesp.com/Skull-Bleaching-C2025.aspx

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got to do a deer stand setup at a kill hole on a friends yard for my daughter to hunt. Then maybe one night this week i will dig it up when it is cooler.

Not sure I was going to bleach it. It is just going to hang in the garage and get dusty.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Didn't read the replies but I do this too for heads I'm not having mounted. I bury and cover with a metal trash can so's no critters can get to it. I usually leave for about 9 months (dig it up just in time for the following season). Always came out clean except this last one I did. The soil was a little shaley there, and I don't think there were enough bugs getting to it. It still has some leathery patches on it, so I'll probably bury it again for a while in a different area.

It's much easier and less messy than boiling them, but it takes a lot longer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is how I do it but I have not tried the powder. I just simmer it in a beater pot and use aluminum foil to protect the antlers. Everything is easy to scrap off.

The powder is the "developer". It aids in the peroxide's penetration.

Developer: https://www.mckenziesp.com/BLP-P13280.aspx

Peroxide: https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-co...PTUetGJeAY5iFKQnl98aAhdWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or all in one kit: https://www.ulta.com/p/flash-lightn...XpOSVa293quTK0tYefZdD3c59AGifF0YaArifEALw_wcB

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Fresh out of the ground and the eyes looked sunken white and hard and popped out and just a little bit of grease for brain matter still but it washed out easy.

Seems a bit dark now. Maybe let it dry and hang in the sun somewhere?

Attachments

• 0A2A6CB5-8157-4B7C-868A-DA2D13ECE0F4.jpg
      0A2A6CB5-8157-4B7C-868A-DA2D13ECE0F4.jpg
      226.4 KB · Views: 181

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Give it a good hosing out and put it in the sun(if it ever comes out again). You want to avoid it getting moldy so don't put it in a bag or anything.

BTW, that's a nice lookin' head there Rob!

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I buried one this past winter. Foiled the antlers. Borrowed a 55 gal barrel from a buddy that had both ends cut off, I chicken wired the top to keep out 4 legged critters.
    I'll probably dig it up around thanksgiving to give it a look. Curious what I'm gonna find.
    It's a nice 10 point road kill, Have a pic of it strapped to the front bumper of the fire truck. :D

Spent the last 2 years in the freezer til the wife raised enough hell for me to "do something with that damn head in my freezer!" :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I buried one this past winter...

...Spent the last 2 years in the freezer til the wife raised enough hell for me to "do something with that damn head in my freezer!" :lol2:

I have a bunch of turkey 'parts' been taking up room in my freezer for years. One of these days...:innocent0

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    You’d probably be better off leaving it on the ground in a place where something bigger can’t drag it off.

I tried that when I was a poor teenager and left it out till from late fall to mid-summer. I'm assuming it was mice that ate the bone off of the front of the skull along the top jaw. Came out nice otherwise, just shortened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom