• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    There is no good forum area for this question so dropped it here.

Can anyone tell me what is minimun necessary documentation to sell a rifle to a local pawn shop? Reason I'm asking this is I have a gun bought off GunBroker but I can no longer find the email invoice receipt generated by the sale. Gun broker does not keep that info in your account over 90 days. I purchased a Buyers Report for $15 but all that has in it is Date, Item ID, description, quantity and Price.

It does not list the Seller and their personal information.

Thank you

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Can anyone tell me what is minimun necessary documentation to sell a rifle to a local pawn shop? Reason I'm asking this is I have a gun bought off GunBroker but I can no longer find the email invoice receipt generated by the sale. Gun broker does not keep that info in your account over 90 days. I purchased a Buyers Report for $15 but all that has in it is Date, Item ID, description, quantity and Price.

Thank you

Nothing other than a photo ID.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Put in for sale on consignment. You pay a fee but you pick the sale price. Selling to a pawn shop will get you probably less than 1/3 of its value.

Ie, selling a $350 firearm to a pawn shop, they’ll likely offer $100. Consign it for $350 and pay them $35-50 when it sells.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Hock shops have their purpose but they will low ball the hell out of you. Better off here or Craigslist if you can. Auctions can demand a good premium.... when I go **** up that's where I want my arsenal to go... Reddings.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It might also be said that selling on consignment has its issues too. I think people think that the internal parts of their guns were hewn from sold blocks of gold or something - I've seen some unrealistic consignment prices recently.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Thank you

You don't need any of that information to sell a firearm that you own that's in your possession. For sales in Maryland, it can't be on a list of certain semiautomatic rifles they currently restrict (and even this list is imperfect).

And don't go to pawnshop that sells a few guns on the side. You're going to get half the value, at best.

What are you looking to unload?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Related to the OP's question, which is likely because he wants to prove that it's really his firearm, do FFLs submit the serial number of guns they purchase or put on consignment to see if it's a reported stolen firearm? I presume that they do, but don't know if it's a state or federal requirement. Or are they only keeping a record of the firearm serial numbers for future ATF inspection?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Related to the OP's question, which is likely because he wants to prove that it's really his firearm, do FFLs submit the serial number of guns they purchase or put on consignment to see if it's a reported stolen firearm? I presume that they do, but don't know if it's a state or federal requirement. Or are they only keeping a record of the firearm serial numbers for future ATF inspection?

If they are a FFL it must go in the Bound Book, including the serial number.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A Pawnbroker that deals in guns IS an FFL , an 002 specifically . For straight purchases or sales , essentially same as 001 .

As a practical thing , there are pawnbrokers that are basically a regular gun store that make an occasional pawn , and those that primarily make high interest loans , that sell an occasional gun .

Bottom line - Legally it's the same as selling to a " Regular " gun store .

In general selling to any gun store :

They sell at retail , buy from you at wholesale .

Further adjusted by what they already have in inventory , or what is hot or glut in regional market place .

The rule of thumb for reasonably honest gun stores is to pay 2/3 of the price they would sell it for as used gun . ie , if they expect to resell for $450- ish , they will offer $300- ish .

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The pawn shop must be a FFL to accept it. Most pawn shops do not accept firearms because they are not an FFL.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

In Montgomery County they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    To answer above questions Mossberg Patriot .270 Win. Long and short yes A) want to prove it's mine, B) Wan't as less hassle to begin with at Pawn shops are regulated so they have to be careful about how/what they buy. C) Most importantly don't trust the current political environment and that ATF, Biden, Leisure Suit Larry and MD State Police will do the right things today and not have something innocent bounce back on me , add I'm a military contractor with a clearance and I have sufficient reasons to want to be carefull about just transfering this from one private individual to the next.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    To answer above questions Mossberg Patriot .270 Win. Long and short yes A) want to prove it's mine, B) Wan't as less hassle to begin with at Pawn shops are regulated so they have to be careful about how/what they buy. C) Most importantly don't trust the current political environment and that ATF, Biden, Leisure Suit Larry and MD State Police will do the right things today and not have something innocent bounce back on me , add I'm a military contractor with a clearance and I have sufficient reasons to want to be carefull about just transfering this from one private individual to the next.

This was sad to read. Especially considering that I freely bought guns, long guns and handguns, as a teenager. The background check consisted of the seller asking me if it was alright with my parents if I bought it. Of course I always said yes! All this worry over selling a deer rifle.:sad20:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Transfer has to be done through an FFL Dealer, there are no more FTF transactions in MD. There’s nothing to “bounce back on you” after you follow that process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom