• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Oh blah.

Not that mindless bit of dribble for the ten thousandth time.

If it's time to put money in the bank, it's time to spend it.

If it's time to save food for winter, it's time to eat it.

Do people actually think about the nonsense they repeat?

Sorry to be harsh, but that old internet swagger just annoys me.

So you have issue with my first sentence in my post. Care to criticize the rest of it too? You really think burying a few guns is going to be useful. Where you going to shoot them if they’re illegal?
    Mind you, I’m not against stashing something somewhere else to protect against lose from fire, theft, etc. Not all eggs in one basket case.
    Just burying them so the government can’t take them is silly.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Ha Ha!

All I said was that that dribble about, "If it's time to sit down, it's time to stand up... If it's time to shit it's time to get off the pot..." yadda yadda is a stupid bit of internet wisdom that I have seen mindlessly trotted out over and over again for 15 or 20 years.

I'm not saying anything at all, pro or con, on the subject of caching. I'm only talking about that stupid, stupid old "chestnut."

Sorry if I offended you, but you begged me to clarify.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Ecclesiastes-Chapter-3/

Last edited:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    First rule of caching... don't talk about caching.

There are a multitude of resources on the interwebz about how to do this correctly. PVC seems to be the best option with internal corrosion protection (grease/cosmoline). If you store greased, make sure to include mineral spirits or something similar to de-grease.

In a nutshell, ^^^THIS

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    if you do bury guns that the state knows you have, also bury various pieces of steel pipe, rebar randomly on your property. One of the easiest things to detect with a common magnetic flux type of instrument is a vertical iron or steel object. ( ask a surveyor) Even at deeper depths than a common coil type metal detector can detect. So, includes lots of "false alarms" and junk for the confiscators to waste days or weeks digging up. RE: pvc pipe sealed at both ends - be damn sure you have a watertight seal. I'd use grease or cosmoline then a plastic heat sealed bag, then a mylar heat sealed bag, vacuum bags if possible THEN put it in the pipe.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    if you do bury guns that the state knows you have, also bury various pieces of steel pipe, rebar randomly on your property. One of the easiest things to detect with a common magnetic flux type of instrument is a vertical iron or steel object. ( ask a surveyor) Even at deeper depths than a common coil type metal detector can detect. So, includes lots of "false alarms" and junk for the confiscators to waste days or weeks digging up. RE: pvc pipe sealed at both ends - be damn sure you have a watertight seal. I'd use grease or cosmoline then a plastic heat sealed bag, then a mylar heat sealed bag, vacuum bags if possible THEN put it in the pipe.

They don't have the time or resources to search for days or weeks. They will just throw you in jail or a reeducation camp and keep you from accessing anything. Probably put you to work cleaning out the showers and stoking the furnaces because "Arbeit macht frei"!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    They don't have the time or resources to search for days or weeks. They will just throw you in jail or a reeducation camp and keep you from accessing anything. Probably put you to work cleaning out the showers and stoking the furnaces because "Arbeit macht frei"!

This. When declining my RSVP for re-education, the only real question will be how many of the raiding party will I take with me to final judgment.

CFCE

Nov 23, 2012
    St. Mary's Co.
    If you have guns they don’t know about. Seal in an absolutely water tight container, then hide in outlet side of septic tank. I doubt any electronic device could find them there.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    So you have issue with my first sentence in my post. Care to criticize the rest of it too? You really think burying a few guns is going to be useful. Where you going to shoot them if they’re illegal?
    Mind you, I’m not against stashing something somewhere else to protect against lose from fire, theft, etc. Not all eggs in one basket case.

It's also illegal to riot and break into people's home to rob and kill them, but that doesn't stop the mobs. When law and order has broken down and the police can't or won't stop the mobs, then we're on our own. Do you recall what happened in major cities in the summer of 2020? If that happened in the suburb area where I live, I want to be able to protect myself and our family until I run out of ammo or until the mobs decide to move on. The police won't be around to protect us from the criminals, but the gun confiscations will occur before that. If you think it's silly to keep some guns on hand instead of giving them to the government should the day come when they demand we surrender them, I'll be one of the silly ones. You can be the smart one and turn in all your guns to the government.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    A buried gun is awfully hard to use if you are trapped in your house. However, it only takes a moderate hammer strike to break thru a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch drywall. And you don't have to worry so much about rust.

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    So you have issue with my first sentence in my post. Care to criticize the rest of it too? You really think burying a few guns is going to be useful.
    Never know, it might be.

Where you going to shoot them if they’re illegal?
    At the people that made them illegal.
    No it isn't. It's a practical defensive maneuver. I've never done it though 'cause I don't have any to do it with. They're all at the bottom of the Bay.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    It's also illegal to riot and break into people's home to rob and kill them, but that doesn't stop the mobs. When law and order has broken down and the police can't or won't stop the mobs, then we're on our own. Do you recall what happened in major cities in the summer of 2020? If that happened in the suburb area where I live, I want to be able to protect myself and our family until I run out of ammo or until the mobs decide to move on. The police won't be around to protect us from the criminals, but the gun confiscations will occur before that. If you think it's silly to keep some guns on hand instead of giving them to the government should the day come when they demand we surrender them, I'll be one of the silly ones. You can be the smart one and turn in all your guns to the government.

Completely misunderstood my post. ;) Carry on.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    A buried gun is awfully hard to use if you are trapped in your house. However, it only takes a moderate hammer strike to break thru a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch drywall. And you don't have to worry so much about rust.

Glad someone else gets it.

I’m not opposed to the idea or practice of geocaching. Just not going to bury $500+ worth of gun and ammo.

Risk/reward assessment, do what satisfies you.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    It is just inconceivable that anyone would want to burry their guns. The next thing would be to have Jeff Bezos store them in space for you in case you need them. At least they will not corrode, rust or deteriorate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom