• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    If I were you I'd get a couple books on how to do this off of Amazon. I plan all of my trips that way. It's all about working smarter, not harder. Someone has already figured all this out. Read what they did.

I'll look for some. Didn't think about books on it.

Not saying you or members of your hunting party will have any reason to worry about this but I do know of other hunters who's hunting trip was ruined. Canada is very strict about not letting in people with criminal records. Things that you wouldn't think would be problem. I know of one group where one of the members was refused entry into Canada due to a DWI. They drove so pretty much everyone got screwed and they ended up turning around and going home.

Good luck with the decoys, I would think you could get a guide to rent you decoys.

Everyone is fine with getting into Canada. Everyone but me has been going the last 4 years but with an outfitter. Last year the hunt wasn't very good and they decided to give the DIY a try.

Make sure your ducks are in a row for bringing in firearms. As was already pointed out, make sure no one in your party has any surprises in their criminal record that will cause problems. DUI is a felony in Canada and will keep you out if you haven't requested a waiver in advance.

You may want to try asking for info on the Canadian hunters forum on the refuge. http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Yea I stalk the Refuge, don't have an account yet though.......... (I know, worst kind of person on a forum like that).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

3 drive, one airlines into Saskatoon. On the way back, the airline guy takes the coolers with the birds and the truck takes his luggage/equipment.

When you look at the cost, take into account that you save yourself a rental truck for the time you are there. Also, with your truck, you can do stuff you wouldn't want to do with a rental.

google maps says 30hrs 15 min. Two days of of solid driving with a team of 3. Day one to Eau Claire, WI (that's french for clear water ;-) ), next day comes the long slog through rural ND and SK.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So we were going back and forth on what to do then it kinda fell in our laps. A friend has a house in South Dakota with a trailer full of decoys and a suburban. We're gonna fly to SD then drive to Canada (12 hours). Then pheasant season opens the week after so on the way back we're going to stay a few days and hunt pheasants. Throw in some walleye fishing and I may never come back.

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Looks like you got a lot of valid responses.

Remember this, when departing Canada, sometimes Canadian Fish & Game will be set up just before the US Customs to check you out before you leave Canada. So be prepared, if you bring a fishing rod, get a license, they will or can pick your vehicle down to the bare bones. They pulled us into a closed garage setting and did the whole shake down after a bear hunt.

And that's just trying to LEAVE Canada, getting back in to the US is the next hurdle of bullsh!t.

Go have fun either way.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thanks for the info. Just sent it to all the guys. Hopefully since we have a good amount of lead time we can get this done. But a phone call to customs is probably in my short term future.

Reading through the article, it appears that there is currently a work around in place for the problem. The problem is a software problem wherein an EIN is required on the Customs online application. If Customs gets that fixed before your hunt, then this is a non-issue. If not, then you have to go with the work around. Not a hunt killer as far as I am concerned, just one more hoop that you have to jump through, maybe another bridge to cross. lol

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Reading through the article, it appears that there is currently a work around in place for the problem. The problem is a software problem wherein an EIN is required on the Customs online application. If Customs gets that fixed before your hunt, then this is a non-issue. If not, then you have to go with the work around. Not a hunt killer as far as I am concerned, just one more hoop that you have to jump through, maybe another bridge to cross. lol

Yea that's how I read it but with our luck the system will go live 2 days before we leave and we won't get it done. Then spend 7 hours at the border.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I would fly. Roads in northern Canada are not the best. Meeting a loaded logging truck on a dirt lane going 50 mph can be interesting.

good luck

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Personally I'd say **** CA. What kind of geese are you after that you can't get in the midwest and here in MD? Too much ball busting by CA Nazis to suit me. Then US Customs to boot. Why not go to SD for pheasants and hunt the central flyways for geese. Just speaking from personal experience with border BS. Went up for a bachelor party one time and one guy denied at airport for a15 year old DUI. Had chops busted over guns etc. on a hunting trip another time. Thought TSA gave you a work over, no comparison.

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Personally I'd say **** CA. What kind of geese are you after that you can't get in the midwest and here in MD? Too much ball busting by CA Nazis to suit me. Then US Customs to boot. Why not go to SD for pheasants and hunt the central flyways for geese. Just speaking from personal experience with border BS. Went up for a bachelor party one time and one guy denied at airport for a15 year old DUI. Had chops busted over guns etc. on a hunting trip another time. Thought TSA gave you a work over, no comparison.

Canada offers a much better hunt in my experiences, you are hunting birds that haven't been shot at or spooked or even decoyed.....the variety etc. First time ever to see Hutchins Geese in Saskatchewan for me.

Go do it.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So I figured I would post a quick AAR from the trip. We flew into Saskatoon on 2 October and when we landed the temperature was around 65* F. We got our rentals and headed to the town we would be staying in for the next week or so. On the way there you immediately start seeing more birds than I've ever seen in my life. I may write up a long post about the trip in the future but let's just say it was amazing. Some days were 22 degrees in the morning with heavy frost and by 1000 it would be beautiful and sunny out. The very last hunt we shot a 7 man limit of greenheads and I was wearing basketball shorts and a long sleeve t shirt in my layout blind. We shot giant canadas, lesser canadas, Ross' geese, snows, mallards, pintails, Widgeon, blue and green teal, one bufflehead :) and even a limit of Sandhill cranes. The entire trip went off without a hitch and I only managed to get the rental truck semi-stuck twice. Best of all we self guided and met a ton of amazing people. Saskatchewan has some of the nicest people I have ever met. We didn't get denied permission to hunt a single field except 2 occasions where they had already given the field to another group earlier in the day. Oh and it didn't hurt that the total cost for everything was around $1500 including airfare. For 8 days of hunting that is the best deal on the planet. I even saw my first wild moose and mule deer and a ton of coyotes. If you ever get the chance to go I say do it, you won't regret it. There's a few pictures below.

Attachments

• Greenheads.jpg
      Greenheads.jpg
      156.8 KB · Views: 52
    • Cranes.JPG
      Cranes.JPG
      126.8 KB · Views: 56
    • Pothole 1.jpg
      Pothole 1.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts