• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think we need to approach this from a different angle.

1.) Shell cases have been sitting in 55 gal drums for years. MDSP no longer possesses the equipment to handle the cases and this dept needs to go. Tax $ savings

2.) Background checks to be turned back to the dealers. Do away with this dept at the MDSP. Tax $ savings

3.) Handgun roster to be done away with. Dept to be done away with. Tax $ savings

Turn the resources who were employed in these departments into street patrols in the city of Baltimore. Have them work with the City department to curtail the drug trafficking off of I-70, I-83 and I-95.

Senate Appropriation is attacking it from this direction. They requested a report by the end of this year (?) from MSP on the entire program to include the disposition of the machine, and the disposition of the shell casings (I believe).

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Senate Appropriation is attacking it from this direction. They requested a report by the end of this year (?) from MSP on the entire program to include the disposition of the machine, and the disposition of the shell casings (I believe).

:clap:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    McDermott submitted the following amendment to the 2015 budget and it was rejected: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014rs/amds/bil_0000/SB0170_34322901.pdf

Floor discussion is here: http://mgaweb3.maryland.gov/Segments/HLS_TS/prior_house/HSE_03262014_1.mp4-20140326-151421.m3u8
    Amendment discussion Starts at 2:29:20.

If it's not being funded, why would McDermott put in an amendment? It may be subsumed by a line item in the MSP budget at the state level, and dumais supported leaving it in, "since it is being wisely spent as discretionary funds", but the mdga was not willing to insert that language to the budget bill, so at some budgetary level, the funding is still being allocated to the program.

I thought I remembered DuMais debating for this, thanks for reminding me SNI.
    I cannot speak for Del. McDermott, but having spent some time researching some issues on the budget, here are my thoughts:

1. The MGA does not create the budget.
    2. The Governor (really, his staff) creates the budget.
    3. The MGA only has the authority to restrict the budget. This can be done via amendments to remove items in the budget or via amendments to restrict the use of budgeted money for specific tasks (case in point).

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    2. Add self defense as G&S. Windfall state income for carry permits. The fiscal notes for this legislative proposal last year showed approximately $6M of state incomeif this passed.

Self defence is already a G&S. What needs to change is the documentation required and the discretion of the board that does the approvals. Publish a standard in the code and remove the board review. Transparency and tax savings.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Self defence is already a G&S. What needs to change is the documentation required and the discretion of the board that does the approvals. Publish a standard in the code and remove the board review. Transparency and tax savings.
    This is incorrect.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    This is incorrect.
    Under, "Self defense," the term, "Personal Protection," is instead used.

Personal Protection. There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.
    The Department of State Police applies a court decision to base their justification for meeting this requirement; You must have an apprehended fear of danger to obtain a Handgun Permit for personal safety.

“An apprehended fear of danger is more than one’s personal anxiety.” (See Carl Snowden v. Handgun Permit Review Board, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland. April 17, 1980)

The State Police also uses the court decision of Scherr v. State of Maryland, the Department of State Police denied the applicant’s permit to carry a handgun because the applicant’s “level of threat and/or danger” was not any greater than that of an ordinary citizen. (See Robert Scherr v. State of Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board, in the Court of Special Appeals for Maryland, 2004)

This requirement can be met in several ways;

1)Maryland law does not require that you have to be threatened or assaulted before having an apprehended fear of danger. This requirement is made up by the Maryland State Police and is not supported in COMAR. So simply eliminate the need for an applicant to provide evidence of "recent" threats.
    2) Consider the location where the person is requesting to carry his/her permit. Does the average person feel a greater risk to their personal safety in one area of Maryland over another?

The bottom line is the, "Good and Substantial," requirement has never truly been defined. It must be defined either in COMAR or Maryland law. However, even Anthony Brown admitted during his campaign, that the Superintendent of the State Police CAN make a determination of what is considered Good and Substantial. While this is great if a new Superintendent, with the proper mindset and courage is appointed, it does not protect Marylanders for the long term. This needs to be fixed!

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

Personal Protection. There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.
    The Department of State Police applies a court decision to base their justification for meeting this requirement; You must have an apprehended fear of danger to obtain a Handgun Permit for personal safety.

“An apprehended fear of danger is more than one’s personal anxiety.” (See Carl Snowden v. Handgun Permit Review Board, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland. April 17, 1980)

The State Police also uses the court decision of Scherr v. State of Maryland, the Department of State Police denied the applicant’s permit to carry a handgun because the applicant’s “level of threat and/or danger” was not any greater than that of an ordinary citizen. (See Robert Scherr v. State of Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board, in the Court of Special Appeals for Maryland, 2004)

1)Maryland law does not require that you have to be threatened or assaulted before having an apprehended fear of danger. This requirement is made up by the Maryland State Police and is not supported in COMAR. So simply eliminate the need for an applicant to provide evidence of "recent" threats.
    2) Consider the location where the person is requesting to carry his/her permit. Does the average person feel a greater risk to their personal safety in one area of Maryland over another?

The bottom line is the, "Good and Substantial," requirement has never truly been defined. It must be defined either in COMAR or Maryland law. However, even Anthony Brown admitted during his campaign, that the Superintendent of the State Police CAN make a determination of what is considered Good and Substantial. While this is great if a new Superintendent, with the proper mindset and courage is appointed, it does not protect Marylanders for the long term. This needs to be fixed!

I am hoping that IF you are called upon by Gov. Elect Hogan to be the new MSP Superintendant that you will SERIOUSLY CONSIDER the position.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I am hoping that IF you are called upon by Gov. Elect Hogan to be the new MSP Superintendant that you will SERIOUSLY CONSIDER the position.
    I'd be thoroughly surprised if there's someone MORE qualified in the pipeline.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    I'd be thoroughly surprised if there's someone MORE qualified in the pipeline.
    Thank you for the compliment. I am very proud of the accomplishments in my career. I truly enjoy sharing information with Maryland's firearm and hunting communities. I believe these are the men and women that understand our State, the challenges we face and the rights we have fought so hard to hang onto. We have lost so much ground and I am determined to be a part of restoring those rights.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Thank you for the compliment. I am very proud of the accomplishments in my career. I truly enjoy sharing information with Maryland's firearm and hunting communities. I believe these are the men and women that understand our State, the challenges we face and the rights we have fought so hard to hang onto. We have lost so much ground and I am determined to be a part of restoring those rights.

And this is exactly why I posted what I did! Would love to see some responsibility back in our leadership positions within this state and you would be a great one to have there.

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch

Thanks for the information, Jack. So, in my case, I've been robbed at gunpoint in the past (probably 8 - 10 years ago) and have the police reports to document it. If ONLY the "recent" language was dropped from the application, in your opinion, would I qualify under the Personal Protection qualification?

BTW, thank you for your service to Maryland. Good luck with your future endeavors (which will hopefully include an appointment under Hogan's administration).

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Thanks for the information, Jack. So, in my case, I've been robbed at gunpoint in the past (probably 8 - 10 years ago) and have the police reports to document it. If ONLY the "recent" language was dropped from the application, in your opinion, would I qualify under the Personal Protection qualification?

BTW, thank you for your service to Maryland. Good luck with your future endeavors (which will hopefully include an appointment under Hogan's administration).
    Remember, my opinion is based upon one person's view. If changes to these provisions were to ever be instituted, it would require roundtable discussion and input from several sources. However, yes, this has always been MY opinion. I have overruled denials because the argument alone by personnel was that the threat was not, "recent." How does a person determine the recency of a threat? Police officers are given Handgun Permits when they retire, based solely on the assumption that they are threatened. While this is true for most police officers, it is more than likely the threats are not recent in terms of three to four years. Should we really even have to argue that a person has been threatened? We need to fix the entire requirement of G and S so the requirements are clear and easy to evaluate.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nah, only way you get this done is to go the old Democrat path: redirect the monies and resources to something everybody loves and supports. For example, propose doing all those things and using the funds saved to buy new safety equipment for police officers and to fund better benefits for the widows/widowers of officers who've been killed. Then paint any opposition as wanting cops dead and their families left homeless.

As I said, classic Democrat path.
    This is genius, and a great way to go with it.

Any proposal that we as gun owners are looking for has to have a few factors going for it in order for it to get past the GA:

1.) Lower taxes/lower budget spending
    2.) Safety
    3.) It's for the children!

Particularly #2 and #3 though. All of the BS we are currently dealing with was passed with the idea that the laws would make all of us safer. As erroneous as that all might have been, that's the selling point. "Think of the children!"

Good ways to go would be to talk about officer safety (and MrNiceGuy's idea is brilliant) or talk about how additional moneys from what was saved by cutting out the fatty programs such as the spent shell casing program can go toward things such as funding Pre-K programs. Wasn't that one of the pillars of Brown's campaign? How can they say no if it's presented that way?

I also agree with those who say that none of this is going to happen quickly, even under the best-case scenario - it's going to take time to get the new administration in place and start dealing with some of the more serious budgetary issues before we can think about working to dismantle the decades worth of ******** that has accumulated under democratic rule.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Where have you been hiding, haven't seen you post in a while.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I have some information about the shell casing program that I think I probably should not post on a public forum including a 9 page budget report.

I'm not sure who it should go to, dblas, Mr H, Mr. McCauley??? If one of you want to PM me your email, I will forward the information to you.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I have some information about the shell casing program that I think I probably should not post on a public forum including a 9 page budget report.

I'm not sure who it should go to, dblas, Mr H, Mr. McCauley??? If one of you want to PM me your email, I will forward the information to you.

pm inbound

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    warning... Threadjack in progress...... As we enter the lame duck session, it's traditional for outgoing politicians to slip pet projects/provisions/rewards into the budget. Is there anywhere online I can go to monitor said activities? { hey, wait this is MY thread... is it possible to jack my own thrread? ... never mind}

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    warning... Threadjack in progress...... As we enter the lame duck session, it's traditional for outgoing politicians to slip pet projects/provisions/rewards into the budget. Is there anywhere online I can go to monitor said activities? { hey, wait this is MY thread... is it possible to jack my own thrread? ... never mind}

MD Board of Public Works ... its the real budget control device in MD anyway ... but I don't think there is much MOM will get past Neat Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom